• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Installing Larger Oil Cooler

pnguzzi

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I had a gander at the new 2012 NTX (US model) I understand (or tell me otherwise) the engine is the same as the 2010 (my model) with minor mods, 2 O2 sensors etc. I noticed that they have increased the size of the oil cooler by what looks like 30-40%. It looks like the larger oil cooler would be an easy install on the older model (mounting points being much the same).
In light of my cam/tappet replacement (another story), I am considering installing the larger oil cooler.
Anybody have any input on this? :D :D

...Likewise,I'd like to know as well.Ease of fitment? Will the stock oil pump handle the job?....Also, can the roller- followers be installed in place of the stock followers? And would my 09. benefit?

Somebody in the know.. chime in.. B)
It would seem to me that a larger oil cooler would have no affect on the oil pump, only increasing the capacity of the system on the whole. I can't imagine there would be any significant frictional increase in the system?
In regards to the cam updated to a newer system, that is a whole different thread.
Im just about ready to order the larger oil cooler, anybody out there know any reason why not? :D

No reason not to, especially if you think it's a benefit and will bolt up. I suspect they went larger due to yet more stringent emission standards (read insanely lean fueling). One could always check the pump part #'s against each other... But a larger cooler doesn't effect oil pressure, just oil level(!). Will you need new oil lines too?
If you do it, take pics and post here!

gdp said:
...Likewise,I'd like to know as well.Ease of fitment? Will the stock oil pump handle the job?....Also, can the roller- followers be installed in place of the stock followers? And would my 09. benefit?
Roller followers? has anybody got evidence these exist? You would need a new cam, new followers, new carrier for the followers ( you need some way to prevent the follower from rotating ) for starters.
Ciao

I think you will find that it is more to reduce piston and thus conbustion chamber temps, which reduces the NOx emissions.
So basically, the colder engine may get slightly worse fuel economy, and pollute less.

California summer temps can be rather brutal at times :evil: . So reducing piston/top end temp seems like a great idea, especially since I think they tend to run to hot.... cam issues etc. (even though we really don't know what is causing the failures). Think I will order and follow up with install photos. :roll:

One thing is for sure, these new engines run damn hot. I wish there was engine temperature readout. I used to take engine block readings with infrared thermometer on my 2006 1200GS and I would get max 90 C. On the Stelvio NTX I am getting up to 105 C and this is not yet hot summer here in Alberta.

Luma46 said:
I used to take engine block readings with infrared thermometer on my 2006 1200GS and I would get max 90 C. .

Ah yes - the infamous BMW owner worry beads :lol: (any yes I have some in a drawer somewhere)

There are replacement dip sticks you can order that read temp - but it's just something else to worry about - I'm in Houston at 100deg and run airheads & now this bike with no issues

I bought myself a temperatiure stick to replace the oil dipstick on the Stelvio. I was and still am curious to know what high temperatures the oil can reach on this bike.
So far on a hot day (more or less 30ºc), in stop and go traffic, I was able to see the oil gauge up to 130ºc.

Yesterday I when for a cruise, the temperature outside reached 25º, the oil gauge stick was indicating 120º. With an Infra-red the oil cooler (fins) were about 100º and the engine temp was 126º.
Unless someone says otherwise ….. I find this pretty normal for this bike.

Other way to cool the engine would be to inject more gas. Todd would be able to confirm the present fuel ratio. The engine being lean burning ......... adjusting the ratio of air/fuel should bring down the temperature a bit.

I believe the temperature issue to not be an issue. 130 c is not all that hot. The Stelvio motor runs a full synthetic oil which is engineered to better cope with higher temps and allow it to last longer under these adverse conditions. The larger oil cooler would certainly decrease engine temp. However under the tolerances that these motors are engineered too I believe that the warmer an engine is the lesser on wear and tear untill off course engine failure is caused by excessive heat causing a melt down. These oils and engines would safely run upto about 200 c. The oil will be drastically reduced in its service life at anything over that kind of temperature for sustained periods. I therefore agree with the above posts as the new model requiring even leaner mixtures and therefore hotter running for emissions guidelines.

DanPez said:
Other way to cool the engine would be to inject more gas. Todd would be able to confirm the present fuel ratio. The engine being lean burning ......... adjusting the ratio of air/fuel should bring down the temperature a bit.
I haven't tested the '12 yet, but the '09 & '10 engines hover in the upper 15 to mid 17:1 AFRs. :blink:

Graph below is a '07 Norge; red is stock fueling, blue is corrected:
Norge40-AFR.jpg

GT-Rx said:
DanPez said:
I haven't tested the '12 yet, but the '09 & '10 engines hover in the upper 15 to mid 17:1 AFRs. :blink:

Graph below is a '07 Norge; red is stock fueling, blue is corrected:
Norge40-AFR.jpg

Interesting graph. This explains the small lean surge I get around 3000RPM. Have guys remapped it to eliminate this spike with any success (ie. not affecting anything else).

pnguzzi said:
California summer temps can be rather brutal at times :evil: . So reducing piston/top end temp seems like a great idea, especially since I think they tend to run to hot.... cam issues etc. (even though we really don't know what is causing the failures). Think I will order and follow up with install photos. :roll:
....Which (larger). cooler do you have in mind?....and, yes PLEASE post photos of install....going onto three months without my beloved Stellie...thankfully Guzzi is extending my warranty...

canuck1969 said:
Interesting graph. This explains the small lean surge I get around 3000RPM. Have guys remapped it to eliminate this spike with any success (ie. not affecting anything else).
Yes. Our friend cgalardi has a stock Stelvio, and you can read his thoughts on page 4 of 7 on the reflash HERE and RayinLA's post HERE
Comments/questions post there or reach me direct by PM or email linked below my pic to the right.

gdp said:
....Which (larger). cooler do you have in mind?....and, yes PLEASE post photos of install....going onto three months without my beloved Stellie...thankfully Guzzi is extending my warranty...

I happened to take a gander at the new NTX and noted that the oil cooler was a full 1/3 larger, same brand virtually same mounting points. Order it... and ofcourse Guzzi sent the old style, so now I am waiting to see if they can supply the "NEW" style.. but looks like it should snap right in.
Will follow up :D

pnguzzi said:
Order it... and ofcourse Guzzi sent the old style, so now I am waiting to see if they can supply the "NEW" style.. but looks like it should snap right in. Will follow up :D
Oy... please do.

pnguzzi said:
I had a gander at the new 2012 NTX (US model) I understand (or tell me otherwise) the engine is the same as the 2010 (my model) with minor mods, 2 O2 sensors etc. I noticed that they have increased the size of the oil cooler by what looks like 30-40%. It looks like the larger oil cooler would be an easy install on the older model (mounting points being much the same).
In light of my cam/tappet replacement (another story), I am considering installing the larger oil cooler.
....ANY FURTHER NEWS REGARDING LARGER OIL COOLER?...

gdp said:
pnguzzi said:
....ANY FURTHER NEWS REGARDING LARGER OIL COOLER?...

:dry: Waiting patiently for my shop to see if they can get one in! :woohoo:

Its a done deal :D :D

got the 2012 oil cooler and bracket,,,, it snapped right in. Only the horn had to be relocated to allow for the Oil line to reach. The old one was 8 cells, the new style is 12 cells, 50% larger :p :p .
Will make sure that I run the oil towards the full mark rather than middle, I'm sure there is another pint of capacity now.

Attachments

• Oil cooler.JPG
    Oil cooler.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 170
Back