• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sad day

Just so the non-French understand: this is something french Gendarmes tend to do. It is so common that it was featured in a commercial by/for (I think) Renault cars. In that case, the hapless owner wasn't even allowed to chat, but kept busy by one while the other MIB (as they're called) were taking pictures with their trophy.

Such are the joys of living in France :silly:

(am I lucky the Norge looks just enough like a cross between Yam and BMW from a distance! B) )

Well it's rewarding in a sense but I was in a hurry on both occasions and I didn't want to hurt their feeling, because no one knows if they wouldn't have gone back to their repressive side and ask me immediately for my papers, drivers license and God knows what, making sure they find something reprehensible somewhere in the process...

Here the Guardia Civil occasionally pulls someone over to have a good look of a new model of motorbike.
After all they are bikers too (with the power to make you stop!) :)

Hi everyone. :(

Sad Tuesday today. In Greece Tuesday and 13 is considered to be a day of bad luck.
Last night while turning back home i heard a strange noise coming from the stelvio. It sounded like the noise that cames out from a sewing machine.
I wake up early in the morning and headed to my dealer. He dosen't know the exact problem (he will inform me late this afternoon) but he said that it may be a big one.
I will inform you when i have news.
Any idea about what to do?

cu later

Probably the cams gone like the rest of them. All you can do is accept the warrenty replacement and hope it dont happen again. Poor show from Guzzi as this has been happening on all 8v for a couple of years now. Typical Italian cover-up.............you gotta be in the family to know.

Gary wrote:
Probably the cams gone like the rest of them. All you can do is accept the warrenty replacement and hope it dont happen again. Poor show from Guzzi as this has been happening on all 8v for a couple of years now. Typical Italian cover-up.............you gotta be in the family to know.

thanks a lot gary. my dealer hasn't answer yet. still waiting for him to call.
he will propably call tomorrow

i am hoping for the best

gary simply wrote
Probably the cams gone like on a number of them. All you can do is accept the warrenty replacement and maybe it won't happen again.

T,FTFY

What cover-up??? And how many years was that? Oh wait, a couple means 2, yeah, that must indeed be correct ... this summer it'll be 2 years I got my own Norge, and everyone knows that 8v cams had already been failing for months by then.

Not.

Like it or not, but it's perfectly common practice not to disclose any information about causes and solutions of "known issues" until a cause has been identified and/or a solution found. The only sensible thing Piaggio could do at this point (as far as we know!) is to send around a letter describing the symptoms and advising to go to the dealer in case of doubt.

But what for? Any sensible person will notice (hear) when the cams start going south, and go seek advice, without Piaggio holding his or her hand.

For all we know, they're honouring warranty repairs on this, and from what I've read about their attitude in the past, I expect they'll continue to do so even after your 2y warranty period, if a fix hasn't been found. If they don't, we'll see then, but in the mean time, please keep to what we know about this without lathering them with your personal opinions that IMVHO have been vented enough already.

You may be right RJVB but if and I say IF, that is a common or perhaps even ineluctable thing that will be happnening to ALL 8V then they'd better send the letters BEFORE it happens to any other users...

1) because it causes the (even extreme) fans to doubt the brand.
2) by sheer courtesy to avoid any one in this situation to have to wait for rescue on the side of the road (THAT is what would bother me the most)
3) to show their good faith

They did it for the mapping... they could do it again for this problems which seems to be happening too often to be a coincidence...

Mind you, these are still bikes that are worth over €12000... not a moped or a Chinese built scooter... any issue like this should wake them up and urge them to take action. And it is not just a batch of bikes that have been shipped to only one country. So it seems that it is indeed a design problem... not something to be taken lightly.

OK Japanese bikes may not have the same soul as Guzzis (and I agree 10 thousand times) but I've been riding for almost 30 years and I never questioned the reliability of those bikes even back when technology was far less sophisticated.

Now it is just painful to see people being disappointed by bikes that are brand new and less than a year old!!! I have never heard of something like that ever.
I am keeping my fingers crossed because I have been blessed since I bought mine, but I wouldn't dare to leave without a battery-charged cell phone these days!!!

RJVB, being a relativelynew biker you wont have the years of buying new bikes behind you. Apart from one Honda, I have had Jap bikes, Italian bikes, Rusian bikes , Us bikes and..........no I've not had a chinese one yet. But when I pay top dollar I expect top quality. Now the Stelvio is pretty top dollar for a 1200 , look at the equivilents, I'm sure if the Norge had a major problem you'd be jumping on your French soap box.
My Guzzi dealer had a Griso 8v failure a year before the Stelvio came out and has 2 Stelvio failures. Dont blame the mechanics as it happened in Aus and you'll then upset Pete.l
Or is this another moderator towing the line ?

so a short briefing...

My dealer call after he spoke with someone from Piaggio in Athens. They were aware of the problem (but they didn't think that it was neccesary to inform the owners...................) They will replace all the parts that are damaged under warrenty . The new parts (as they say) will not have any problem.

So my Stelvio is hospitalized
Its getting on my nerves.....
Good night
Thanks a lot everyone for the support

ps. (my bike was built in the 1st month of stelvio production)

Makes sense mate, I work for an Italian paper machine company, they do the same, cover warrenty issues but dont tell anyone, so when I turn up, I gotta look surprised, 'Agnati Spa' if you want to google them.

The repair should be ok, mine is so far but I only got a 1000 miles on it. I'll let ya know in the spring when i'm back doing 2000m a month.

Gary wrote:
My Guzzi dealer had a Griso 8v failure a year before the Stelvio came out and has 2 Stelvio failures. Dont blame the mechanics as it happened in Aus and you'll then upset Pete.l
Or is this another moderator towing the line ?

What on earth is that supposed to mean Gary????

As for the 'Moderator' dig? I don't think Rene has ever deleted anything, just moved stuff to more appropriate sections of the forum. I've never touched anything I don't think. Partly 'cos I'm not sure how.

Pete

Pete, If the posts get too anti MG, they are deleted. If the cam problem had'nt been "rubbished" by moderators in the first place we would'nt have these problems now. We are Guzzi owners not share holders.
There are still peeps on here that are surprised when their 12,000 euro bike goes tits up. and Guzzi is seemingly doing nowt about it.
If Guzzi had said to me, "sorry we got it wrong but the repair will be ok ", I would accept that and tell everyone. They did'nt. Just sent new parts and...............well lets see if that works..............from a couple of repairs, seems it did'nt.
There are bikers, and there are bikers,.....I've been riding, full time, and advocating biking since 1975.

Gary wrote:
If the posts get too anti MG, they are deleted.

Not in here mate! You can say what you like about MG. The only reason a post will be deleted is personal, political or racial crap.

Yes, this is another moderator a bit tired of seeing the sort of opinionated posting that if anything will only result in making people want to stay away from Guzzi, or stop reading your posts. It's not constructive.

The fact I'm a young biker doesn't have to do anything with this, replace bike with computer and Guzzi/Piaggio with Apple (or probably just about any manufacturer), and you have almost exactly the same situation.

In fact my Norge has not (yet) had the major problem *lots* of Norges have had, and for which a recall was done in the US after at least a year in which it happened. I read about that, informed my dealer, and keep a check on the state of things. Have you seen me jumping on a soapbox already?

Again, the only sensible thing Piaggio might do is warn people, but I totally understand if they only do that when they have a better understanding of the underlying causes or at least when the percentage of bikes affected crosses a certain threshold. As long as it remains a relatively isolated and infrequent thing, there's no need to get every owner all worried that his new baby *might* develop an issue where it'll start sounding weird. Because guess what ... all of a sudden every other bike will start sounding strange, and can you imagine what that'd do to the dealerships?

Wonder: the mailings for the mapping are sent when there's a new one available. You won't get a letter inviting you to go check at your dealer to see if he doesn't by chance have a new mapping that would make your bike run better in case you're having some issue with that... And you can be sure that you'll receive a letter if and when it has been decided that some intervention is needed in the engine to address the cam issue.

Oh, and check with BMW owners. If I'm not mistaken, there are a number of issues with those that the marque choses not to recognise (so no warranty either).

Sorry Mike I must have been referring to the "Trolls" posts that was started and deleted by a moderator.

"opinionated posting " can be posted by people that have 1st experience of the cam issue.

Others can only summarise.

Everyone can, as a matter of fact.

But if they keep posting the same opinion at each and every occasion, it becomes rambling, whining and indeed trolling.

It's not constructive and it doesn't do anything to improve the atmosphere on here either.

hey again.
to set things straight..
right now i am very sad and a little bit angry, for the things that happened to my bike.
the servise that was provited to me till now was very good.
i own my bike for 6 months and i could never except for this to happen.
besides all that i would still buy the same bike .
its great! i hope all this problems to be solved.

stay cool
summer is around the corner and our stelvios will be ready for wild rides

good night again

Gary wrote:
Pete, If the posts get too anti MG, they are deleted. If the cam problem had'nt been "rubbished" by moderators in the first place we would'nt have these problems now. We are Guzzi owners not share holders.
There are still peeps on here that are surprised when their 12,000 euro bike goes tits up. and Guzzi is seemingly doing nowt about it.
If Guzzi had said to me, "sorry we got it wrong but the repair will be ok ", I would accept that and tell everyone. They did'nt. Just sent new parts and...............well lets see if that works..............from a couple of repairs, seems it did'nt.
There are bikers, and there are bikers,.....I've been riding, full time, and advocating biking since 1975.

I've not seen post being deleted? I certainly haven't on the boards I'm a moderator on and I can't think of any instances on other sections?????

The cam problem hasn't, as far as I've seen, been 'Rubbished' by anyone. it's out there, its happened, and anything I have seen or found out about it FROM SOURCES I TRUST OR FROM THE IMPORTER OR 'OFFICIAL' GUZZI INFO I pass straight on. I too am not a 'Shareholder', I'm not even, as dealers are, a 'Customer' of Guzzi apart from the fact I buy parts from them. I don't sell the machines or make any profit from their sale. FWIW Warranty work pays diddly-squat, I'm not retiring on the strength of warranty, believe me, and the last thing I want is upset owners because I actually care, passionately, about Moto Guzzi otherwise I wouldn't of owned and worked on 'em for 30 years.

Of course there are still people are surprised when their bike shits itself. Why? Because it is comaratively rare! This ISN'T to say that there isn't a problem, of course there is because the attrition rate is way beyond acceptable, (Roughly 5% as far as I can make out here in Oz.) but there is absolutely NO point in shrieking like a big wet girl about it. Make a choice. Either sell the bike, accept yopu got burned and move on or try and be bloody constructive. The hopeless ranting Nhillism gets on my tits.

As for the part being sent out? As I stated they have changed. No, I haven't seen them, I passed on verbatim what I was told. To the best of my knowledge, which may easily be inadequate, Steve's is the first one that has failed again after a fix. Once again there has been no diagnosis yet as to what went wrong.

As soon as I can get my hands on some failed bits, (And I'm ordering some bits from Mario today and he's offered to send me the stuffed bits out of one he's done.) I'll be getting them tested by proffesional metalurgists, not me, not you, not Uncle Tom Cobley but people whose JOB it is to do stuff like this. If that isn't good enough to show that I am both commited to trying to find a sollution rather than denying there is one or overcome some sort of paranoid suspicion that there is a 'Conspiracy' to cover this up? Well, sorry, well done, you've got me. I'll put me hands up, I'm obviously a bad boy and a liar whose only interest is decieving people. Perhaps I get some sort of vicarious pleasure out of it? Hang on! I'll take off my tinfoil hat and see what the aliens are saying????:blink: :laugh:

Pete

Back