• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

rev-limiter...

gdp

Cruisin' Guzzisti
...Am I mistaken in thinking that there's both a "warning' rev-limiter and the real rev-limiter (at red-line)....since my new cam and follower replacement, my beautiful (The faster RED one of course, ha) Stelvio is stronger on the bottom end, but,no longer has the 5000rpm kick, and at 6500....completely flattens out....as if it has switched maps... also, at idle, it sounds like it's hitting one one cyl...yet, low-end torque is stronger than before cam replacement...befuddled

You are correct in the rev indicator has a (programmable) warning light. The real rev limiter is programmed on the ECU and is not user or dealer adjustable. I can adjust it if desired.
I'd be curious to know if they replaced your '09 cam (A5 engine) for the '10 (A8) version, by the sounds of it, that might be the case. I love the hit of my A5.

GT-Rx said:
You are correct in the rev indicator has a (programmable) warning light. The real rev limiter is programmed on the ECU and is not user or dealer adjustable. I can adjust it if desired.
I'd be curious to know if they replaced your '09 cam (A5 engine) for the '10 (A8) version, by the sounds of it, that might be the case. I love the hit of my A5.
...would you have access to the appropriate part numbers for the two different cam grinds....I know the part number for the cams that are now in the bike (they're at home or I would provide it for you)........I swear it's a completely different machine now...and, honestly, the short-shifting is quite brilliant....but I'm missing the intoxication of the 5000 KICK.....

gdp said:
GT-Rx said:
...would you have access to the appropriate part numbers for the two different cam grinds....I know the part number for the cams that are now in the bike (they're at home or I would provide it for you)........I swear it's a completely different machine now...and, honestly, the short-shifting is quite brilliant....but I'm missing the intoxication of the 5000 KICK.....

thats really curious - my model 2011 (=US 2012) should have new cam design, I suppose - but it revs 8000 so quick that I really have to be very careful. I seldom rev so high, but the bike is able to do it very quick.
I suppose there is something wrong with your motor, even if it works fine in lower rpms. But it also should turn above 6500 easyly.

As said before, unless you are overly sensitive to the way your bike runs, it sounds like there is something wrong. They may have put the new cam(s) in slightly off with regard to timing. Or something else may be wrong like a rag left in the intake tract.
The motor should be able to pull all the way to the rev limiter in any of the lower gears.

GuzziMoto said:
They may have put the new cam(s) in slightly off with regard to timing... The motor should be able to pull all the way to the rev limiter in any of the lower gears.
Unless I'm reading the post wrong, it sounds like it does pull to max RPM, just that the motor is a bit softer above 5k RPMs. If not, there may indeed be something incorrect with the cam timing. Even the best shops can make a mistake.
I don't have quick access to any part #'s regarding the cams, perhaps someone else has them handy.

GT-Rx said:
GuzziMoto said:
They may have put the new cam(s) in slightly off with regard to timing... The motor should be able to pull all the way to the rev limiter in any of the lower gears.
Unless I'm reading the post wrong, it sounds like it does pull to max RPM, just that the motor is a bit softer above 5k RPMs. If not, there may indeed be something incorrect with the cam timing. Even the best shops can make a mistake.
I don't have quick access to any part #'s regarding the cams, perhaps someone else has them handy.
...You guys nailed it...It was one tooth off ....idled like a single, still pulled maybe 55 lbs. torque(guessing), no KICK at 5000, and at 6500...it was all over...love my dealer....back on the road..... finally....

Back