• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Michelin Pilot Road 3

stromcat

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Has anyone tried Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres on their Stelvio? If so,how do you find them,and what is the wear rate like? Any information would be gratefully received,as I am thinking of replacing the stock Scorpions with these.I love the Scorpions,but they wear too fast for my liking.Cheers.

My mate has put a set of PR 3's on his K1200s BMW and loves them, he's got just over 1000 miles on them and they look like new ! Still keeping a nice profile and looking good for around 4-5000 miles (rear). This from a bike that destroyed an Avon Viper i just 1,500 miles, eek !
I found the stock Pirelli's just too soft and they just don't last, I'm on to Anakee's now and love them. Great in the wet, great in the dry and surprisingly grippy on gravel & cow poop. They suit the Guzzi really well and give a very neutral feel to the bike.

I've had them on my '09 Stelvio for almost a year; put the second full set on maybe a month ago. On my first two rear tires I averaged around 4000 miles each. When the front tire was removed it still had plenty of tread but was starting to cup, so I figured that it'd be better to install a full set (I'm leaving for Idaho in ten-or-so days). I haven't had very much experience in the wet, only going through winter runoff and slush in the local mountains. Haven't been on anything gnarlier than gravel pack either. Handling on pavement is very neutral, and therefore confidence-inspiring. Oh, also (at the time) the PR3s were my first matched set of tires for the Stelvio since the OEM Scorpion Trails, the front ST having worn out after 1700 miles. I was told at the time that the ST's sidewalls were somewhat weak for the Stelvio's weight.

I have a set on my '06 Norge and love them!! They have the best grip of ANY sport touring tire I have ever used and I've used them all on my Ducati's. These are exclusively road tires and they have shown superior wet grip and that has been severely tested here in Houston this summer. I usually don't see 5k from ANY rear and these have approx 1,500 and haven't shown any wear at all except I have worn ALL the tits off! :whistle: The multi-compound is very evident when pushing all the way to the edge. Best aggressive tire I have ever had short of DOT race tires!

That is what I have used the last two sets. The feel and handling is fine.
They are rigid enough to may the bike feel as stable or more so then any of the other 8 tires I have tried. In fact last weekend I was grinding the sides off of my boots and touching down the pegs more then normal. Of course, that may have been because of the extra doughnut I had for breakfast. :?
Tire tread life is average. I'm still hoping to find something that lasts longer then 4 - 5000 miles.

stromcat said:
Has anyone tried Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres on their Stelvio? If so,how do you find them,and what is the wear rate like? Any information would be gratefully received,as I am thinking of replacing the stock Scorpions with these.I love the Scorpions,but they wear too fast for my liking.Cheers.

I've had two sets. The rears get 6500 miles each, and the first front lasted 13,000; the second is at 9,000 and has plenty of tread left.

They handle well - the bike carries about 300 pounds minimum and 460 pounds maximum, and I have no complaints about life or handling!

Lannis

I'm not the prefect candidate to comment on these tires ...... but I put them on last week and did 200km on them since.
Had the original tires on the 09 Stelvio (Scorpion Sync). They lasted 15,000km which is not bad.
They were starting to show some sign of wear but still had plenty of tread. Change them because rear was starting to cup. (Felt the vibration)
As if to say the V2 didn't vibrate enough :lol:

Compared to the Scorpion .... the Michelin's are totally different type of tires.
I do mostly highway and the handling, comfort on asphalt are great.

Edited:
Did anybody noticed the thread pattern for the front and rear tire?
The way installation is suggested, on the bike, (by arrow direction) the rear tire grooves pattern is .... in going out and front is out going in.
:blink:

Ordered a set of these tyres last Friday. For UK posters £230.00 the pair from wheelhouse tyres.

Mind you I got 6500 miles out of the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Trail rear and the front has about 3000 left!

I will let you know what I think of them in due course of time.

DanPez said:
I'm not the prefect candidate to comment on these tires ...... but I put them on last week and did 200km on them since.
Had the original tires on the 09 Stelvio (Scorpion Sync). They lasted 15,000km which is not bad.
They were starting to show some sign of wear but still had plenty of tread. Change them because rear was starting to cup. (Felt the vibration)
As if to say the V2 didn't vibrate enough :lol:

Compared to the Scorpion .... the Michelin's are totally different type of tires.
I do mostly highway and the handling, comfort on asphalt are great.

Edited:
Did anybody noticed the thread pattern for the front and rear tire?
The way installation is suggested, on the bike, (by arrow direction) the rear tire grooves pattern is .... in going out and front is out going in.
:blink:
The tread pattern is oriented for primary braking traction on the front and acceleration traction on the rear, thus oriented in opposite directions. Some front tire sizes are used as rear tires on smaller bikes and will have arrows for each and indicating opposite direction of mounting.

I think the drawbacks of using the Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires on the Stelvio include increased rolling resistance and decreased fuel efficiency, as well as increased wear and tear on the tires. Additionally, the tires may not provide the same level of grip and handling as other tires, particularly in wet or icy conditions. Finally, the Pilot Road 3 tires may be more susceptible to punctures and other damage due to their thinner construction. I have also gravel bike, I use this gravel this for my gravel bike.

Last edited:
I think the drawbacks of using the Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires on the Stelvio include increased rolling resistance and decreased fuel efficiency
The last post on this was 9 yrs ago. Now on PR 6. ;)

Road 6 GT are wonderful. Just sayin'.
I've had at least one and sometimes two or three of each of the Michelin Pilot Roads, the originals then the 2, 3, 4, 5, and now just installed a 6. They appear to suit my 2009 very well, so I haven't gone lusting after other gods ....

Lannis

Back