• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Stelvio Running Rough

Toadride

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I've got over 1000 more kms on her since the service. At that point the tech found the tb's way out of sync. When he synced them it ran smooth and quiet. I am now travelling on an extended tour and to this point the bike has been running fairly well except for the notorious 300rpm range. I have also been running in cool wet weather and I thought she was acting up a bit in the real wet but that could have been just me. Today tho, with the weather heating up she seemed to progressively run worse and worse with increased vibration. The noise level is also way up. The power was also lacking. If I stopped for 20 minutes it seemed to run ok till it heated up and then got worse and worse. I took a motel an hour ago and pulled the plugs. The left, the side I felt was working harder than the other, showed normal burning characteristics. The right side showed just a little hotter and whiter. Now I'm in Nelson BC with nary a Guzzi Tech in sight. This is what I was afraid would happen.

Sounds like it has gone out of sync again????. Would explain the vibration and perhaps the different in plug colour...but then again plug colour is not easy to read and could just be a read herring.

May be worth while to atleast go to any bike shop and get them to check the balance. At least you know what you will be dealing with....

Perhaps you will get lucky without a TPS reset.

Can't believe I am going to say this next line....

Try a Harley Dealership. Though I read that the VDST (At least the Centurion) can be used on the HD and Moto Guzzi ECUs. Ducati is another one. If it is out of balance at least they may be able to adjust and reset the TPS for you.

May also be a valve tappet that has loosened up on one side. Would explain the noise and loss of power. Does not sound electrical so hopefully that is a good thing.

Hang in there. Been there before. The solution will present itself in the morning with a fresh start.

canuck1969 said:
Try a Harley Dealership. Though I read that the VDST (At least the Centurion) can be used on the HD and Moto Guzzi ECUs. Ducati is another one. If it is out of balance at least they may be able to adjust and reset the TPS for you.

Not the Harley dealership. They use a different version of Centurion or VDSTS. You need a shop with the European Pro version or a Ducati shop's software can speak to the 5AM ECU.

Got in touch with my local friend here. He owns a Norge. Gave me three good suggestions. Pop the tank cap, Vacuum? Yep. I had the tank up to find the heated grips wires and may have pinched vent tubes. Next. Was I riding in the rain? Yep. Like he, I also noticed water sitting in the recess around the filler hole. He got water in his KTM and it ran like poo. A water dispersing additive is next on the list. Also he told me they just opened up a KTM shop here and they very likely could do a sync. They prolly couldnt do the TPS, But, the way it was acting, getting worse as I went thru a full tank of gas and partially recovering when I stopped for a few minutes really points to bad venting and holding back fuel. Hope so. All I could do now is take a look at the hoses on the left side of the bike and it turns out I pulled on those two to get a peek at the Grip wires. They felt a little pinched and I made sure they were freed up. See what tomorrow brings. And when I get to my friends in Castlegar, I can pull it apart again to make sure nothing else is pinched.

could also be a bad spark-plug connector . happens sometimes when garage removes them without the right tool or even worse, with a screwdriver.

I recently had a problem with my stelvio running rough, one of the problems after running in the rain, two days solid, was the socket on the injector was full of water, just something else to check, it's an easy job so may as well check it out... :)

windy

Toadride said:
I had the tank up to find the heated grips wires and may have pinched vent tubes. Next. Was I riding in the rain? I can pull it apart again to make sure nothing else is pinched.

Its easy to crease/fold the fuel line off the tank when refitting, as it gets hotter it could become more fleixible and crease some more, I did that and it will starve the injectors, also found an intermittent problem with the fuel pump connector that cause a no fire situation but once it caused poor running

Bike now back together and running fine. Completely rerouted the two vent tubes, the main one straight down and out the bottom of the bike. The smaller diameter one which is plugged I could not actually see where it went but it seems to dive down between the cylinders. A crank vent tube perhaps? The larger tube from the tank still has the check valve attached but I am wondering why it is there at all. Would fuel run out without it?

Just came over Rocky Mt. National Park 34 to Estes Park. WOW. Cracked 12000 ft. And I don't think she liked it very much. Working my way down thru a full tank of gas and when I got down to the flatlands she was not running well at all.
Same symptoms as before, loss of power and extreme shakes. I prolly failed to mention it before but I did dump in some gasline antifreeze and it may have cleared it up. Just filled up. This time there was no hiss from the tank. I dropped in some gas lineshit again even tho it has been hot as hell for over a week or so. Just rode around a few blocks to check it out and it seems to be back to normal. I think these bikes are VERY prone to water in the gas.

Toadride said:
Just came over Rocky Mt. National Park 34 to Estes Park. WOW. Cracked 12000 ft. And I don't think she liked it very much. Working my way down thru a full tank of gas and when I got down to the flatlands she was not running well at all.
Same symptoms as before, loss of power and extreme shakes. I prolly failed to mention it before but I did dump in some gasline antifreeze and it may have cleared it up. Just filled up. This time there was no hiss from the tank. I dropped in some gas lineshit again even tho it has been hot as hell for over a week or so. Just rode around a few blocks to check it out and it seems to be back to normal. I think these bikes are VERY prone to water in the gas.

no injection system likes water in gas, you definitly should avoid that

Back