• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8V Failure info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lucky phil said:
I believe Pete got sick of bullsh*t posts by self appointed experts going unchallenged by anyone but himself.
I see his point...
If that were the reason, I'm afraid he'd permanently be on a hiatus from ANY board out there... :lol:

Why the silence on the 8v cam saga?, has anybody come up with an answer yet?, has a later 8v cylinder head cam housing been lifted yet?, does the factory not give out information? ,has anybody contacted the factory?
I know that i would be wasting my time trying to contact the factory, being the lone [south sfrican] voice int the wilderness, lets get closier!!!!

charlietuned said:
Why the silence on the 8v cam saga?, has anybody come up with an answer yet?, has a later 8v cylinder head cam housing been lifted yet?, does the factory not give out information? ,has anybody contacted the factory?
I know that i would be wasting my time trying to contact the factory, being the lone [south sfrican] voice int the wilderness, lets get closier!!!!

Silence is probably because the answers to all your questions is no.

charlietuned said:
OH WELL, someday somebody will have the need to lift the head of a 2012 or newer Stelvio and post the results of what he finds, on this forum!!

The valve train on a 2013 NTX in the US has been verified as being FLAT TAPPET not the roller tappet design that has been described as the holy grail here. I will continue to ride my 2011 Griso with NO CONCERN. Why can't people believe that the issue has been addressed and corrected by Guzzi.

I personally own an EU 2011 Stelvio and had a bad cam shaft and bad tappets which were changed under guarantee at about 10.000 km.
Would you be convinced that the problem is solved if you had a failed valve train ?

to charlytuned - time will tell us both - if the problem is really solved and if roller tappets are the new valvetrain design.

as of my son who works in a garage for triumph and KTM, the only problem modern KTMs have is with roller tappets

The factory identified the problem , issued a re-call to replace the offending parts in bikes that had already been sold or shipped, and changed the parts that they use to build bikes. I will admit that their idea that you can just throw new parts in a motor that has let go was stupid, but any mechanic worth his salt would have checked and cleaned the oil system anyway. This has resolved the issue in the USA and Oz. They do not blow up here to any extent that would warrnt suggesting there is a design/manufacturing issue. As has been said before, if you still have an issue with your Guzzi tappets then it is likely a different issue. There does seem to be people in parts of Europe that still have issues but since the problems with the design and specs of the motor have been resolved the few areas that may still be experiencing problems must have something local to them causing it.
There are many ways you can blow up a motor.......
Not all of them point back to Guzzi.

People have already looked at the new motors valve train and no one has reported directly seeing roller tappets. One person said that they were told that someone else had seen roller tappets but since others have looked for themselves and seen flat tappets I see no reason to think the majority are wrong. Flat tappets work. They have worked for years. Maybe Guzzi will replace the flat tappet design with roller tappets but other then more complexity I am not sure what people expect roller tappets will bring.

GuzziMoto said:
The factory identified the problem , issued a re-call to replace the offending parts in bikes that had already been sold or shipped, and changed the parts that they use to build bikes. I will admit that their idea that you can just throw new parts in a motor that has let go was stupid, but any mechanic worth his salt would have checked and cleaned the oil system anyway. This has resolved the issue in the USA and Oz. They do not blow up here to any extent that would warrant suggesting there is a design/manufacturing issue. As has been said before, if you still have an issue with your Guzzi tappets then it is likely a different issue. There does seem to be people in parts of Europe that still have issues but since the problems with the design and specs of the motor have been resolved the few areas that may still be experiencing problems must have something local to them causing it.
There are many ways you can blow up a motor.......
Not all of them point back to Guzzi.

People have already looked at the new motors valve train and no one has reported directly seeing roller tappets. One person said that they were told that someone else had seen roller tappets but since others have looked for themselves and seen flat tappets I see no reason to think the majority are wrong. Flat tappets work. They have worked for years. Maybe Guzzi will replace the flat tappet design with roller tappets but other then more complexity I am not sure what people expect roller tappets will bring.

Excellent post, You have also identified one of the reasons Pete doesn't post here anymore, like pissing in wind when people reject any argument counter to what they want to hear.

Silence, ahhhh.... Silence, I love silence.
That's what you want with the 8V, and besides, I like to hear my own racket.

The roller cam thing is precious though...

People must please keep in mind that ,as i live in South Africa,with the only Stelvio in the country, and as such have absolutely no local backup, i am interested in what could be expected, Why I bought a Stelvio> because i fell off a Quota on the Stelvio pass last year! The reason I am a Guzzi fananatic is because I have done many, many thousands of miles on various Guzzis . At this moment in time , I own 2 SP1000's 1 2012/13 Stelvio NTX,11000 convert,[which I use ,with a cameraman on the back to film cycling and running races ,even going offroad to film mountain bike races, she is shod in lovely chunky enduro tyres] 1v50/3, 1,v65 [my daily commute] ! Moto Guzzi engined Morgan 3 wheeler replica, and a mountain of spares , under the house ,in the roof ,in storerooms at home and at work. [but nothing for the Stelvio of course] I also store and maintain a V7 Ambassador and a Mk3 LM for their owners , one who lives in London and collects the bike when he comes out here,so as to tour with it [V7], I also service ,rebuild and maintain a lot of local Guzzis as a hobby [paying of course] I think that that makes me more of a Guzzi fanatic than most ,but that doesnt preclude me from being confused by the whole tappet saga .My parts manual, as we know, shows roller tappets which is why I am confused [or is it because Im a thick South African] As an aside , the only real problem I had was with my Convert where 1 tappet was continuesly noisy ,if i adjusted it , ,it would be noisy again within a 100 miles I ended up lifting the barrel to find that the pushrod had "drilled" its way through the tappet and was running directly on the cam lobe, held into place by the hole in the tappet!! luckily the cam wasnt damaged. To cut a long story short, NO,I WILL NOT SELL MY STELVIO, i just like to know as much as i can learn about my bikes, its what makes them interesting and myself more confident about wandering about in the middle of nowhere on my bike, I ride evey day ,no matter what the weather and am not a "1 good Sunday a month" riderThats it!!

Todd and I have discussed this thread. It has gone on long enough and there will be no resolution. It is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back