• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dreams are dead

Kelvio

Just got it firing!
:cry:
Well I doubt there will be a Stelvio in my future, at least not anytime soon. There will not even be much riding if any soon.

I had a CT scan on my neck yesterday and today had my Spine Surgeon review it.
Some backround: I have had alot of MX injuries over my life and quite a few surguries, but this work neck injury has kicked my butt. In june of 2010 I had a ladder twist a bit the spit me off at work while I was holding a sheet of drywall weighing about 90 lbs. This resulted in 2 blown discs. The disc between C5/6 and the disc between C6/7. After much therapy the decision was made to do a cerivical fusion with internal fixation {IE. a 2" by 3" Titanium plate with 6 screws and 6 pins spaning 3 discs and a completed discectomy and some synthetic bone in place of the disc.

The immediate results seemed very successful as the shooting arm pain and numbness and tingling in my lower arm and hand was GONE. Presto, fixed. Now just heal up and get back to living. As time went on and I started doing more and more {Dr. Approved activities of course} a new pain started. Kind of a tension or stress around the spine column like a vice on it and the that radiated up to the base of the skull which then feels like someone has the bottom of my skull in a clamp.

Months of attempts of medicating the pain away only to figure out that I am somewhat allergic to all narcotics, they make ITCH, I mean itch like a speed freak digging holes in my skin Benedryl or not. Then I get urinary retention, I do not me hard to pee, I mean not peeing for days and sometimes not until I stop taking the narcotic....NO FUN. Cathaters SUCK!

Well here I am at today, day dreaming of a new NTX, and my Ortho surgeon calls me over to his computer to look at my CT as he begins pointing how C6/7 have not taken the fusion and that one of the screws may have broken allowing the new fusion to move some, causing it not to heal....

"Well, what is the fix"? I say, he answers "You need another surgery as soon as we can get your workers comp insurance to approve the surgery.....and maybe you should not ride much in the mean time, just in case."

So here is sit, couch bound and broken hearted. It maybe months before the WC insurers approve the surgery {hopefully NOT} and then for sure at LEAST 6 months off the bike post surgical, likely longer, it could be a year or more before I will even feel the thrill of a grip in my palm, the rumble of horsepower under my berries, the rush of the lean into a turn while rolling on the torque and pulling hard through the turn only to flick it back the other way, the adrenaline bump as I blip the throttle and tap the clutch and stand my 600+ pound full bagger RT up on a wheelie so high it drags the plastic mud gaurd on the groud and dropping the jaws of ALL onlookers {Yes I can and do do that} and any other exhileration I get from riding a motorcycle....possibly forever.

There are a few choice words that are racing through my mind right now, but I have not sworn in quite a few years and have resolved not to do that anymore, but VERY tempted.

Anyway, it was nice to have met {virtually at least} you folks and thanks for the great input after a bit, but I think even visiting will depress me too much. I will say Hi sometime, but keep on riding and loving this great hobby and your beautiful Italian machines while you can because you never know when that may be cut short one way or another.

Rubber side down my new friends.
Kelly

Don't give up.

My grandfather played the violin, then he couldn't any longer. His fingers just wouldn't do it. So he started making violins. Not the same, but he seemed content with the transition. Look for opportunities to do something else you enjoy, but don't give up 'til you have to.

Pokeyjoe makes a great point.

Most anything I want to say is likely to come across as sounding patronizing, when I mean it not at all that way.

Two points.

First, very sorry to hear that, but, OTOH, how lucky we are to live with such medical care available. Such was not the case only a few years ago ... and, of course, remains out of reach to many on the planet.

Second, while I have to be careful around Kathi when I say this, as she is likely to remind me when I casually mention a new motorcycle that has caught my eye, our little MINI-S is (almost but darn close to) as much fun as my Guzzis. Really.

Lots of little roadsters out there that, unless you have Dakar sort of rallies in mind, will make you grin.

Best wishes on all.

Bill

what they said...

it will take some time, but recover and get thru the PT and get it behind you. As I mentioned on Adv, my wife had C5-C6-C7 fused (bone density issue) and didn't ride pillion for a few years. She's recovered and just joined me on a 5,200 mile ride in August.

Myself - about 8 yrs ago I totalled my R1100S Boxer Cup Prep, getting a good bonk on the head (moderate-severe brain injury) after splitting my RX7-RR4.....and I fractured T12, the one below the rib cage package that always takes the brunt of things.
The back healed, but years later I have stiffness and arthritis that make a day of dirtbiking in Moab or Baja, then sleeping in a tent...well, I pay for those.

Back