• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Classic ownership

Paxo

Cruisin' Guzzisti
After 2 years of ownership I thought I'd make a few personal observations on my experience with the V7 Classic. Firstly I've been lucky to have purchased my machine from a local and very knowledgable dealer who has provided excellent support with both the major and minor teething problems I have experienced. Without that back up service I might easily have given up on Moto Guzzi. Piaggio should take note of that.

First impressions are that this is a small bike dimensionally and quite cute in the retro VW Beetle and Fiat 500 style, and just like those cars it comes with modern ignition and fuelling systems. The bikes' size may be a problem for some as the riding position can feel a little cramped. I had to fit handlebar risers to correct the arm / leg angle to prevent cramping in the thigh muscles.

Due to the use of plastics the bike feels quite light and easy to manoeuvre around when either riding or wheeling into a parking spot. The use of plastics for a fuel tank is also one of its problems. My tank was replaced under warranty due to swelling apparently caused by ethanol in the fuel. The plastics also seem to mark easily and mine have quite a few fine scratches probably from clothing.

It's strange that it is still possible to make a 750cc engine that apparently produces so little power. In reality this doesn't seem to matter as the bike will accelerate briskly and cruise easily at and above the posted legal speed limit even when fully laden. Fuel economy is OK with a tank of petrol giving me on average 160 miles of mixed riding before the low fuel light comes on. I don't see the point of this but it does seem to be a common feature in the Piaggio range of bikes and scooters. My BMWs' fuel gauge tells you how many miles are left which is far more useful.

I suspect the person who would be attracted to this machine will not be your average Fireblade / R1 customer, and if they are they are in for a major culture shock. The relatively low power output is actually a blessing as far as the standard suspension and tyres are concerned. They are adequate but no more than that, but right in line with what you would expect from the manufacturer's lower price range. The inadequacies of these components are easily if not cheaply remedied with products from alternative suppliers and make riding the bike a much safer and more pleasant experience.

Overall I think it's quite an expensive bike for what it is, but then I suppose it is a bit of a niche market product and as such will always be priced just that bit higher. As standard the V7 Classic is a perfectly good machine in just about every respect, but it will most likely be bought by enthusiasts who will be unable to resist the urge to try and improve it. Knowing when to stop is the difficulty. In reality it will never be a R6 or CBR600 no matter how much cash is thrown at it, and personally I don't care. I've owned many bikes old and new, bigger and smaller, but the V7 Classic has given me the most fun I've had on a bike in the past 20 years. One last thought; I've been reminded that just as in the old days it's a very good idea to make a point of regularly checking the tightness of all the bikes' fasteners!

My experience with a V7 Cafe has been largely the same as yours. The much-discussed power deficiency is only noticeable in the specs -- not on the road. Riders on "faster" bikes have trouble keeping up with me in town where the wide power band allows me to get away quickly and smoothly without waiting for revs to build. That feel and sound, plus the lightness and tossability, enhance the fun factor on a twisty two-lane.

I've had a ball with mine, despite the fact that my tank was also replaced under warranty, as well as the dashboard which had an electronic gremlin that kept sucking the life out of batteries for the first thousand miles. But the fit and finish are better than the Triumphs and Japanese bikes I compared, and it has a lot more soul. On the road, it just makes me smile.

I'm not as lucky as you when it comes to dealers. The place where I bought my bike closed a few months later. A dealership 100 miles away just hung out a Guzzi shingle, but they are so busy fixing Ducatis they want a week to perform a routine service that should be done while I wait.

Next closest is 200 miles. They're also new and don't have a lot of experience with Guzzis, but they roll out the red carpet when I ride down and make me feel comfortable enough to buy a new Griso from them.

I remember the first time I walked into a Guzzi showroom and met a rider who was waiting to pick up his bike after service. He saw me looking at the V7s and said, "Gotta' warn you, once you ride one of those, you'll never be happy with anything else."

He was right. Guzzis are quirky and flawed, but they have a personality that most modern bikes lack. If it calls to you, you've got to answer and it's almost impossible to turn back.

fun thread.....and gotta say that my feelings thus far are spot-on identical with Plaxo's. i've owned a bunch of motorcycles as well, and this is my second Guzzi, and the only reason i own it is because i wanted something different, something italian (the new Bonnies don't do it for me), something air cooled, and pretty to look at. right to Plaxo's point, i'm one of those that would not have purchased the V7 if it weren't for being able to make it a better bike, because in its stock form, i really could care less for it. to me, the bike has to at least handle appropriately and to a certain standard, the stock suspension doesn't allow for such in my opinion. and like Plaxo says, the fixes are not all that expensive or difficult to implement. the V7s are fun bikes but i don't think one can or should expect all that much out of them.....they're cool little bikes....Sunday cruisers to throw a leg over.....glorified scooters.....call 'em what you want but they're niche bikes for sure.

at the end of the day, it's all about the guzzi motor, guzzi make, and nostalgia that it offers, well at least it is for me. :)

Back