• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge running rough after being washed

Domenic

Just got it firing!
Hi avid Guzzati,
Although relatively happy with my new Norge 1200-8V, I find that every time I wash her, she runs very rough, misses constantly and pops badly for about 10+km. The throttle does not seem to operate correctly and the engine at times does not respond to it. On one instance the kill switch failed to operate and the engine stalled while idling.
We've been having very rider friendly weather here down under in Oz, for last 4 to 5 months and have not had to ride in the rain. I'm concerned when the storm season arrives I may experience a similar situation.
I use a very soft shower stream when washing her and try not to direct the water to the control switches or under the front of the engine. The bike wont be due for the 10K km service for another 6400km, and wanted some feedback back to the dealer before then.
If any body has any thoughts on this or have experienced similar conditions, I would appreciate their comments/finding.
Thanking you in anticipation and keep living the dream.
Domenic

Couple of points.

I have an '07 Norge; my brother, a new 8v. I have discouraged him from ever washing it -- at least in the sense of using a hose and running water -- because of earlier experiences with my EV.

The short version is maddening electrical issues 'til discovered cause was corroded ignition switch, brought on by hose washing. FWIW, I, too, used "a very soft shower stream when washing" and tried "not to direct the water to the control switches or under the front of the engine." I also rode in the rain, of course, but that is not always avoidable; water washing is.

Unless you ride the thing on muddy roads, can't imagine how it could get so dirty that a bucket "sponge bath" followed by use of any one of the myriad and incredible products would not make it look as good and quickly as any hose bath.

Anyway, can only say that neither I nor my brother have ever experienced any of the symptoms you report. The timing of yours does seem to say it's bath time that is the cause.

Good luck on breaking the code on the problem.

Bill

Sorry, to hear about about the wet problems. Just a simple problem, but still a pain. The problem appears to be the termination of the spark wire into the boot and water leaking past the small water barrier on the boot body. I have had this problem with both 8v engines and it has driven me to the point of distraction.

I have, at least for now, found a solution in the form of different spark plug boots and wires. I have only had them on for about 500 miles, but several washings and no problems. I am using ACCEL plug wires, along with silcone grease on the interior of the boot to exclude water. It is working for me, further reports after a few more miles.

In case you do not want to change the wires and boots, here is a suggestion. Check the boot to wire connection, it must be tight( screw type of terminal ), if the wire/boot connection is loose water may have caused a short. check the boot for cracks and burn through of the boot. The next suggestion is to put silcone grease on the interior of the boot this will seal the water out and make removal of the boot much easier. Pete Roper had suggested using a string around the boot to pull the boot off of the plug, this will allow the boot to pull straight up. It works.

The bottom line stop the water from leaking between the wire and boot and arcing to the engine.

Good luck

I use the double sponge bucket method after shorting out my speedometer on a Suzuki one time. One bucket of soapy water and a sponge with another bucket of clear water and another sponge. That is only if the bike is really dirty. I find that detailing spray used often to be pretty good. Just wipe easy with a microfiber cloth and keep a clean side to the bike at all times. Keeped it waxed and it is a whole lot easier to keep clean.

have 8v covered all terminal connections with black window sealant, replaced spark plug leads with cheap aftermarket ones sealed under lead cover with sealant also.

I bet it is your spark cable elbows in the head . . . wrap several turns of electrical tape around both of them and see if the issue disappears. Long term solution (if this is the problem) is to replace with NGK plug caps. The Guzzi plug cables are a known problem area especially if you don't remove them properly (create cracks in the insulation).

Thanks for the replies,
I have a Norge recently and will store this info in my log in case I run into that issue.
Just on a side note, I have not washed my bike (unless for serious off road mud) for years. I use a can of "oil free" Mr Sheen on every surface, works an absolute treat. If I have to clean the wheels, I use acid less wheel cleaner straight on straight off, and for tuff stuff on the front like bugs I use Windex.

I've had a 8v Norge for a year and some, ridden quite a bit in the rain and washed maybe a dozen times, haven't seen any issues with electrics. I'll definitely bookmark this thread though :shock:

The spark plug cap at the elbow tends to break or tear on the original part, letting water in and giving the problem. Guzzitech does sell a replacement for $89. I cleaned mine out, dried everything with a hair dryer, put dielectric grease in the tube, wrapped it tight with high temp electrical tape and it solved the problem for now. But I'm still going to order the new part and fix it permanently.

Back