• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Is anyone ok with their stock Griso?

ohiorider

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Let me start by saying "I am." I own a 2012 Griso SE, so I suppose it has the latest ECU map available. I have no point of comparison, but I can say I personally don't feel a flat spot between 3 and 5k rpm. My SE pulls hard from slightly over 3000 rpm in any gear. Perhaps it's the luck of the draw, and I purchased a bike that was spot on, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm not touching the bike, aside from perhaps a TB balance and a TPS reset somewhere along the line.

I had a shop suggest I should have a PCV added to my 1200 Sport. I said I was satisfied with how it ran. Their comment .... 'you don't know what you don't know.' My thought was 'I don't care what I don't know ..... I'm perfectly happy with the bike as is.'

I suppose this is what happens when you get older.

I've had my Griso SE for a grand total of three days and 300 miles. The biggest surprise for me was how smooth it ran from the first mile. The engine revved freely with no flat spots, the transmission was like butter. My V7 Cafe took a few thousand miles to break in and feel as loose as the Griso on day one.

I have to keep reminding myself it's a new engine and I need to avoid lugging it or redlining it. But it cruises without complaint at 3,000 and under acceleration the revs build so quickly without effort or vibration that I have to watch the tach closely to avoid breaking the 6,500 rpm break-in limit.

So far, so good -- maybe even great. Here's hoping the magic doesn't fade.

I guess I was "OK" with it but definitely not thrilled. Power delivery above 3k was smooth and satisfying for me too. My problem with it was in the 1.5 to 3k band. I found it overly jerky in slow cruises around town especially in traffic and when coming out of slow corners at low RPMs. Todd's ECU flash (and some tweaks to my riding style) smoothened things out significantly to the point where the bike became quite pleasant at all speeds. I went for the whole PC-V/AT/Filter/Muffler shebang anyway but that's because I wanted to stretch it further and not due to any shortcomings in the bike.

ohiorider said:
Let me start by saying "I am."

Me too (2010 Griso). You do have to ease the throttle open very gradually when transitioning to acceleration, which is probably made easier with the reflash and the recommendation of removing any slack from the throttle cables, but I simply do it myself and no longer think about it. Once firmly on the gas, no further worries.

I’m very happy with mine so far also but I will eventually get the full PC-V with auto tune and the ECU re-flash. I wanted to have it all done by now but my AC unit at home gave up the ghost mid-summer and I had to replace it so that put a cramp in my finances.

I have not come across one single 'Engine' modification that has made an 8V motor run appreciably better. There is a debate about whether the #68 map or the #03 map performs better but really it is an irrelevance. If the bike is set up well it will perform close to its potential. To get more out of it you will have to majorly re-engineer it.

If you want to spend money on your G8 I sincerely suggest you spend money on brakes and suspension. If it isn't powerful enough or you buy something else. A TV4 is a truly magnificent and very, very silly thing!!!

Pete

Hi Ohiorider,
ohiorider said:
....I can say I personally don't feel a flat spot between 3 and 5k rpm. My SE pulls hard from slightly over 3000 rpm in any gear....
If you want to know this for sure, make a visit to a powerbench with your G12.
Your feelings can be very different as the hard figures from a powerbench can say.
As far as I know, there is no 8V MG without that awfull flat spot in its torque curve.
But I don't know everything is this world... there may be a few.... :blush:

When I bought my G12, I was also very satisfied with its power and torque.
But I've read several reviews from some who made it work better. So I've tried that too... :geek:
Important to know is also, if you change several things at the inlet and outlet sides, you're driving beyond the regulations.
Emissions and sound will go beyond the rules which the authorities have made for us...
But I like my exhaust note now and the sound from my inlet during fast acceleration is ... :mrgreen: fast and furious...

Ad B

My early 08 8v has the necessary #68 map upgrade which transformed the original crappy fueling to a great spread of power an torque.
I can run mine at low revs and do sometimes in traffic and when cruising but I get the best economy when it runs between 4 and 6,500 rpm.
The only thing I would consider would be a new map which would further refine the fueling if one became available for my early engine. I can probably get some more power if I want to spend a bucket of money but I really don't need it.
A dyno might show a flat area in the torque curve but that is the only way you would really pick it up on mine as the seat of the pants test doesn't notice anything significant.

To answer the question, I'm really happy with mine and it makes me smile every time I go for a ride.

Mark

I'm very happy with the way mine runs. I had the #68 mapping uploaded and got an even better ride. I realy don't see the need for a dyno run. If i don't feel it during riding i realy don't need to read it on a paper. The gearbox is smooth and the engine revy. And every time i look at the bike i know its the most pretiest bike i have ever seen :D :D :D

pete roper said:
A TV4 is a truly magnificent and very, very silly thing!!! Pete

Pete I'm from the dark ages. Rode loops & early T's for 40 years & never converted any of them to electronic ignition. Just now getting into the "new" world of tech talk. What is a TV4?

Trout said:
pete roper said:
A TV4 is a truly magnificent and very, very silly thing!!! Pete

Pete I'm from the dark ages. Rode loops & early T's for 40 years & never converted any of them to electronic ignition. Just now getting into the "new" world of tech talk. What is a TV4?

I believe Pete is referring to an Aprilia Tuono V4

tuonov4r_overview_yellow_cropped_40.jpg

Yes as you know I am happy with my Griso

Here's one in my workshop.

I nearly soil myself every time I ride one. About 150hp straight out of the box and you have to leave a brick on the seat when you park it so it doesn't blow away in a light breeze. It's very, very hard to keep both wheels on the ground, you have to have the wheelie control cranked right up for it to be sensible. Alternatively you can just turn the whole APRC system off and go demented! :mrgreen:

Pete

pete roper said:
Here's one in my workshop.

I nearly soil myself every time I ride one. About 150hp straight out of the box and you have to leave a brick on the seat when you park it so it doesn't blow away in a light breeze. It's very, very hard to keep both wheels on the ground, you have to have the wheelie control cranked right up for it to be sensible. Alternatively you can just turn the whole APRC system off and go demented! :mrgreen:

Pete
Pete your post for some silly reason brought this to mind as a long time Bruce Springsteen fan and having met him while working in his home town of Freehold N.J. his recording of Born to Run

"At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines
Sprung from cages on Highway 9
Chrome-wheeled, fuel-injected, and steppin' out over the line"

Well now, Don't I feel a bit silly, Here I thought it was a "map" or a PC-V/AT and it's a bloody motorcycle!

LOL!!! I'm a 60 year old Virgin! Somebody locked me in a Guzzi shed 40 years ago without magazines or internet connection.

I don't even want to sit on it, well ok but please don't start it up, well I guess a short ride would be ok.
Look man I'm really sorry but I'll get the seat cleaned or replaced ok?

Dan, you really otter take one out for a test ride :evil:

I too am more than happy with my 8VG and although I do think the TV4 is a really pants-wettingly exciting motorbike the fact is I'm in my late fifties, my reactions are nowhere near as good as they were, and they were never great, and odd though it may seem Jude is actually quite fond of me :roll: . If I were to buy one it would simply have to be an occasional weekend, or more likely mid-week, tool for just being totally stupid on. Although it is infinitely more practical than its race-bike sibling the RSV-4 and is actually COMFORTABLE to sit on, (I don't know why they bothered with even a vestigial seat on the RSV-4? You can't actually 'Sit' on the wretched thing, it's too uncomfortable. You are either hanging off it or trying to stand up to keep your weight over the front wheel so it doesn't kill you!) it is just so mind-bogglingly stupid and fun that the idea of actually using one as 'Everyday Transport' is as dim as suggesting that people wanting to get from Australia to Europe in a hurry should strap themselves onto the nose-cone of an ICBM!

The RSV-4 is a nutters bike. The TV4 is a bike for young men who are still immortal and have balls the size of a small asteroid. Doesn't stop it being enormous fun but if we were to try and use one seriously I reckon we'd be dead or in gaol within a week! :)

Pete

DSCN3166.JPG

I miss my Tuono, but I love my Griso more....both special bikes in their own way...the Tuono didnt stay very stock...

I havent changed the Griso much yet, time and money will have their way with it eventually...

cya
Scot.

pete roper said:
There is a debate about whether the #68 map or the #03 map performs better but really it is an irrelevance.
Pete
Pete, out of curiosity, would my 2012 8vSE have come with the #68 or #03 map? I recall several months ago you were a strong proponent of the 68 map vs older maps. At that time I'd not seen reference to the 03 map. is it the latest, or just slightly older than the 68, with no appreciable difference? This is purely academic, since I'm not changing the current mapping.

Bob

03 map post dates the68 which was an upgrade for the earlier 01 & 02 maps. I have not been able to get any bike with the 03 to take the 68 via Navigator but Todd can do it and I imagine that the ducatidiag map dump system would allow the 03 to be overwritten but so far I've not had the time or inclination to screw with it as I've got more than enough work on my plate sorting out bikes that haven't been set up properly. Once they are their owners are generally happy with the stock set up unless they are going to try and embark on expensive and often fruitless 'Enhancements'. When I get the opportunity I'll run a back to back dyno comparison between the 03 and 68 but both seem to work well.

Your bike will have the 03.

Pete

Extremely happy with my 2012 Griso - haven't changed anything except the addition of a Mistral slip on. At some stage, I will probably add a BMC air filter just for the heck of it, but I don't feel anything needs to be done to enhance performance. I like it the way it is.

On my daily ride to work I travel through a small rural town (50 and 40kph speed limit) as well as encountering several "slow speed" corners (hairpins) and I must say the thing is a bit snatchy and not at all smooth under those conditions. In slow traffic 2nd gear it surges like a hairy bull and exiting those hairpins an exercise in careful throttle control is required. Besides those scenarios I ride the wheels off the thing and am very pleased with the "grunt" factor. Removed the Termi db killer the other day for a bit of a giggle and there doesn't seem to be much "seat of the pants" difference, sounds farking awesome with acceptable cackle on deceleration etc - probably putting the db killer back in though as it seems to run hot and is probably exacerbating the already lean state of tune.
Oh, and the suspension wallows a bit in fast sweepers (not the best roads) but that can be tweaked.
I love the look and sound of the bike as well as the attention it receives. :D
Methinks an ECU reflash from Todd as well as the PC-V/AT is in the pipeline, airbox mod, open pipe too :lol: .

Back