• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Special Tools?

pokeyjoe

High Miler
I'm trying to get myself, as a first-time Guzzi owner, set up with everything I will need to take care of the bike. I have or will have some spares on hand so that I can handle the basics (oil changes, setting the valves, etc). What about tools? I just discovered that I don't have a 14mm hex (allen) to use to remove the front axle. I checked all the bolts in the rear and appear to be OK. Anything else?

Which bike? I checked mine all over to ensure I had the right-fitting tools (the kit didn't cover the mirrors on my Breva 1100). I needed an oil filter cup to get up under the Breva. I bought a long allen head socket for my 1/4" drive handle for removing the sump bolts on the Cali rather than mucking around with allen keys.

With a new bike -I try to use the tools in the kit provided - just to see what needs replacing and what tools and lucky charms needs adding.

During an emergency repair - I don't want to be stressed out without a common tool, or one that needs to be used only one way out of four. I don't like those dual purpose wrench with two different ends ... confused enough already! Doh!

So I add about 25 - 50% more tools to the new kit if there is room on the bike. On the V7 there is not much room for big tools and wrenches.....

I plan to make up a soft leather tool pouch with a Velcro latch - bigger that the one Guzzi provides. I got one as a birthday gift from a friends place that made leather belts and fashion accessories .. made of some kind of real, thick, soft, supple leather that cushioned the contents - and it looked new for years - stupid me sold it with the 2nd last bike!

I took my front wheel off a while back, and I am sure I used the toolkit tools -If I remember: Loosen the 2 pinch socket head screws in the right fork and use the 10mm slug and the 10mm wrench to unscrew the axle. Still have to fight the braces and fender mounts to get the wheel out ..(hint - lots of masking tape to protect the oh oh's!)

pokeyjoe said:
I'm trying to get myself, as a first-time Guzzi owner, set up with everything I will need to take care of the bike. I have or will have some spares on hand so that I can handle the basics (oil changes, setting the valves, etc). What about tools? I just discovered that I don't have a 14mm hex (allen) to use to remove the front axle. I checked all the bolts in the rear and appear to be OK. Anything else?

The 14mm is about the only oddity from a normal set of tools needed to maintain you V7R. You will also need a feeler gauge set for the valve clearence and spark plug gap.

If you want to get more involved:
vacuum brake bleed tool
tire spoons
T-handle allen wrench set
torque wrench (low and high value)
lifts/tables/stands
then there are specific tools for engine and transmission internals if you really want to play

I have most of that stuff. Might want to pick up some tire spoons (and rim protectors).

I discovered I didn't have a socket to fit the yoke nut (26mm). Not exactly a common size.

pokeyjoe said:
I have most of that stuff. Might want to pick up some tire spoons (and rim protectors).

I discovered I didn't have a socket to fit the yoke nut (26mm). Not exactly a common size.

Back when I had my Ducati 848 I needed a large sized metric socket to remove the rear wheel. Went to Harbor Freight and bought a 3/4" drive, metric 20 piece set for less than $50. I also bought a 3/4" x 1/2" drive adapter for a couple of dollars. For the money the sockets are just fine and I can't imagine I would ever break one working on motorcycles. If I were a heavy machinery mechanic I would have spent the money on a higher quality set but for the shade tree mechanic they are fine.

I have a Harbor Freight about six blocks from my house. I bought a great floor jack from them for about $80. I have also gotten tap and die sets, security torqs, triple square sockets, and a small torque wrench. Cheap, to be sure, but mostly good enough.

Find yourself a fine garbage can and deposit the provided tools in there, buy a few hex and open end keys, allen keys and a few more things like gauges, all in metric, and of a decent quality - not necessarily Snap-On quality, but decent, and you'll be fine.
For the special tools a VDSTS will be fine, if you've got a laptop and would like to be able to adjust TPS and the like. Also is a homebuild stand for adjusting the inlet vacuum very helpful.

Back