• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Griso, missing piece

wittangamo

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Minor irritant, the bolt that holds the toolbox door closed on the underside of my seat is missing, which makes it tough to keep things from falling out when removing and attaching the seat. First time I took it off, I almost broke the key trying to get the jammed lock open because somebody had forced it down without getting the toolbox tucked away.

My Griso is only a few days old, so naturally I'm calling the dealer to see about a replacement.

But when I look in the parts list below, I don't see that bolt/fastener listed. There's just a hole in the toolbox door where it ought to go. Can someone please post or send a photo of the underside of a Griso seat so I can show them what I'm talking about?

GP.jpg

There are few things in the world more useless than the 'Tool Kit' supplied with the bike and no decent tool kit would fit in that absurd space. The thread is I think an M6. Just grab a 10-15mm Allen bolt and a washer and screw the thing shut. I don't think I've ever opened mine. Dunno if its even got a bag inside it?

Pete

Tool kit? LOL.
A set of Allen wrenches, a 10mm and 8mm socket set should allow you to take the bike almost totally apart.
A tool kit isn't complete until you have tire plugs with C02 cartridges and other goodies, which none of this is going to fit under the seat or anywhere else on the bike.
That seat compartment is big enough for the bike's registration though. :laugh:
As far as the bolt since it's finger tight, anything 6mm will do like Pete says.
A butterfly type from the hardware store would be best but I'm sure the dealer could get you the OEM one since they're the ones that lost it or forgot to put back on...

pete roper said:
There are few things in the world more useless than the 'Tool Kit' supplied with the bike
I How about the badge-thingys covering the screws on the valve cover recesses? :unsure:

Laugh all you want. It may be too small for a complete tool kit, but it's perfect for smuggling drugs or counterfeit bills. Why, you could even use it to store registration and insurance papers in addition to a tire gauge and the factory tools. B)

Since it's there, I'd like to be able to use it without having to worry about stuff falling out of it. The dealer, of course, disavows all knowledge and there's nothing in the parts list to identify or order it. I may still make a stink, but they're far enough away that if there's an easy replacement that works the same I'll do it myself.

That's sort of why I posted a question here. I was hoping someone could show me what the original looked like so I could try to match it.

A standard butterfly won't work because there isn't much clearance and tightens ON a bolt, it's not the head of the bolt. Most of the specialty bolts I see in online catalogs have no head to grab or it's too tall to fit in the shallow indent you see in the image above. I suspect it's probably a round plastic head -- about the size of a quarter -- with a raised ridge across the top to grab it with fingers to turn. (At least that's what I'd design to do the job, Luigi may have a totally different concept.)

As I said, it's a small thing, but it's currently the only thing not perfect on this bike and one way or another I'll get it right.

It looks similar to this.

Google "thumb screws" or "knurled thumb screws"

3704p.jpg

Phang's pic should help get "after-market" fix, but I'll be happy to drop mine in the mail to you so you can have what passes for Guzzi perfection. :whistle:

OTOH, can also bring mine to Winchester when I am there 5 - 9 October, so you can come by and welcome your new neighbor. :laugh:

I am serious; if you can't easily find, you can have mine. I live in sight of a Fastenal store, and the lady who works there is worth a trip to see, anyway. Don't tell Kathi! :woohoo:

BTW, I added a generic multitool and some cable ties, and can -- with care -- get it all in there. That said, unlike my other Guzzis, not a burp of any kindin the Griso's first 4K. By then, the EV had had a rocker arm disintegrate; the Ballabio's header-pipe crossover had cracked (for the first time); and the Norge had a few minor issues ... it was saving its dramatic catastrophes for its mid-20's :(

Bill

Thanks, Bill. Fastenal looks like a good lead, and there's one near me.

I may well ride up to Winchester that weekend, and if so I'll give you a holler.

UPDATE: Fastenal doesn't have screws with knurled knobs in stock or available in metric sizes. They will sell me a screw that fits and a knob I can epoxy to the screwhead.

Meanwhile, the seat lock is now jammed to the point where I can't spring it without risking a broken key. Looks like a problem for the dealer at the 900-mile service -- still a week or two away.

Goodvibes said:
pete roper said:
There are few things in the world more useless than the 'Tool Kit' supplied with the bike
I How about the badge-thingys covering the screws on the valve cover recesses? :unsure:
You mean the Guzzi-logo clip thingies on the spark-plug wire covers?
Well, those are, at leats, purty to look at...

wittangamo said:
UPDATE: Fastenal doesn't have screws with knurled knobs in stock or available in metric sizes. They will sell me a screw that fits and a knob I can epoxy to the screwhead.

Meanwhile, the seat lock is now jammed to the point where I can't spring it without risking a broken key. Looks like a problem for the dealer at the 900-mile service -- still a week or two away.

Press down on the seat to reduce the strain on the latch mechanism.

Had the same problem with my seat, just put a bit of pressure on the pillion bit as said and wiggle the key at the same time, so it's push and wiggle at the same time and make sure no body's watching.... Once off adjust the striker part on the bike to match up with the seat pin and some lube...

Yeah, that "jam" happens.

As John and Ralf said, tho, just relieve the pressure.

Be careful in the process of cursing and pushing and turning, etc., that you do not do what one Griso owner here (not me, but I'm capable :whistle: ), did, i.e., break the key off in the lock with your leg. :woohoo:

As for knob, the larger ACE and Tru-Value hardware stores have remarkably deep selections of metric fasteners, and "close" might very well be good enough from a functionality point of view.

Besides, as offered, you are welcome to mine if you gotta have OEM. Cost you a (better sort of) beer. :laugh:

Bill

Push on the pillion, lube and wiggle to relieve the pressure ...

Try to have a serious conversation around here and you guys immediately start talking dirty. :twisted:

Thank for the advice, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks to all who offered help and suggestions. The seat lock was wedged so tight I had to sit on the pillion and force the key to get it open. When I finally got the seat off and looked closely, I saw that the metal plate over the hole was off-center by just enough that the latch in the seat was binding. In other words, even when the lock was open, the latch was binding on the plate and the seat wouldn't come off.

As for the missing thumbscrew, I couldn't fine an exact match but I did find a 6 mm screw with a small knob I can tighten with my fingers.

If this is the biggest issue I have with my new bike, I'll count my blessings and keep on riding.

IMG_2270 by wittangamo, on Flickr

Actually, that thumb screw has a plastic washer/retainer at the back so it doesn't fall off by itself.
Obviously, that washer wasn't there...

Like you said, if it's the only beef that you'll have with your bike then you're bound to have a great riding experience with it. :cheer: :cheer:

The more I see of the black versions, the more I think them striking.

I am an irredeemable rider of red machines ... the HDM EV being a longtime fling with a blonde of sorts ;) -- and am very happy with my lusty red Griso. But, it is clear that Guzzi hit a home run with the Tenni version, and I think your black will be just as eye-and comment-catching ... if they can catch you. :laugh:

As for that screw, I will bring mine with me when I fly into Dulles this coming Thursday. You are, as I said, I think, before in this thread, welcome to it. Just ride over to Cross Junction sometime in the 5 - 9 October timeframe, show off your Griso to me (and Kathi; I like her to see that others are similarly addicted!), and swap out your homemade for the OEM.

Bill ... in MIlan (Illinois) ... where, btw, if the weather were like this year 'round, only the rich could afford to live here!

Back