• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8V High Mileage / Good News Stories

ett said:
After 9 months of ownership; my Griso 8V turned over 28,000 miles the other day.
I think I reported 16,000 miles in this thread back in June.
Still riding it everyday on my 150 mile commute.

At this rate I'm scheduled to put ~35,000 miles on it's first year.
(Bought it new just before Xmas 2011 as a 2010 leftover.)

While, granted, I temporarily live at the edge the American Siberia, and can't ride as I did in Atlanta, your mileage over time that includes Pennsylvania's hard, cold, winter days, is admirable, amazing, and ... darn annoying. :laugh:

Good for you.

Bill

Good to see a positive thread going. I've put 17,000 miles on my Norge in the last 18 months. When it is running, which is most all of the time, this is the most fun I've had on a bike, my wife and I both love it immensely. There were a few loose bits early on ( side stand, oil leaks,) but with that sorted life is very very good. Looking forward to running up 100,000 miles like I did on the last bike.

Hi,
Trout said:
Ad B said:
I love my G12 as much as my former bike, a special build Harley (fat boy look), which I loved for nearly 20 years.
99.9% of the Harley & Victory riders I know would never even consider a Guzzi! I would sure like to hear why you made the switch. When you ride the same brand for over 20 years it becomes very hard to accept any other brand. A Fat Boy and a Griso are so very different machines so come on and give us the story, please?
Sorry it took such a long time before I answered...
Why did I buy a Guzzi, my G12? There is a question before this...
Why did I leave my precious special build Harley?
After 20 years of enjoying that bike, I went for a bigger "Joe Bar" feeling...
Joe Bar, that motorbike comic book. Part 1 started with bikes from the 70's, bikes wé drove.
And with a driving style me and my friends also had.
It had to go a bit fast, a bit dangerous and to fast for the law!!
We had a real life with speeds of 130/180 km/h, footrests and exhaust scraping the road and scary moments...
That feeling... wow... that is the Joe Bar feeling.
That feeling, you will never have on a big Harley.
A one point in my life I met Griso, love at first sight.
It still took me 4 years before I bought a Guzzi Griso, a Griso 1200 now.
Awesome looks, enough power and torque and good steering.
Joe Bar was back in bussines.
The first three months I've got 3 speeding tickets...

This is the short version of ... why?
Need more...?

Ad B

My first Guzzi and love the 1200 8V Sports have done 22000 km in 6 months and the bike purrs especially after Rexxar ECU reflash and PC V and DNA filter mods. Only issue is the speedo sensor after bad ride in deluge seems to have gone bonkers jumping all over the place or just sitting on 0 when accelerating.

it is 5 weeks and yet to be repaired under warranty awaiting part obviously coming from Italy to Australia by raft.

Has anyone else encountered this speedo issue? I saw that Todd had worked on i believe this problem previously but i had hoped Guzzi had remedied but it seems may no. :blink:

It's a fairly common fault on some of the earlier Grisos, Stelvios, and 1200 sports, often occurring in heavy rain.
Sometimes it can be resolved by placing the unit in a warm dry place (airing cupboard) for a few days. My original unit failed on my stelvio, it was replaced under warranty and I then sealed the new unit with clear silicone sealant, after that no more issues.
I think later bikes have a revised sensor unit.

Ive always been a Joe Bar rider, but when I changed from my traditional rice machines in 2009, the Joe Bar experience was elevated to the extreme level .Should have been on Guzzzis from day one. Only done 16000 klm and loved every one of em. Did the Todds full ecu flash ,air box lid, power commander wide band , and straight through exhaust mods. Not one problem at all, real world usable power everywhere and a top end that winds off the clock. Awesome super handling and reliable bike. Change oil and filter [agip 10w-60] every 7000klm. Only needed to adjust tappets once at 7000klm . I think cam recall is rubbish and only people using inferior oil that created cam problems. If one uses the correct recommended oil and keeps the rubber side down these 8v engines are bullet proof.

Only 14,000 miles on my 12 Sport so far. 1 minor oil leak fixed by the previous owner, can't remember what, where, why. Then at around 10k the final drive bearing started making quite a bit of a racket on a weekend trip so I had the bike recovered and a new bearing fitted , all good. Other than that she's been faultless....so far. Not sure if she's had the cam recall but recently had a major service at an independent and the valve clearances were almost spot on on everything looked hunky dory.

;)

What's this about a re-call? I thought MG's take on the cam issue was to fix them if they broke (provided the bike has a dealer service history).

Vince C said:
What's this about a re-call? I thought MG's take on the cam issue was to fix them if they broke (provided the bike has a dealer service history).

There was a recall when the cam / cam followers started to fail back in (I think) 2009 when Guzzi identified the problem as incorrect / inadequate hardening of the relevant components. I don't know if the recall was worldwide or just some markets. My 2009 Griso 8v had the recall work done while it was still in the dealers warehouse before it even made it into the showroom. When it failed again in August 2013 after approx 30k miles it had a full service history so was fixed as a warranty claim even though it was out of warranty. I have been told that as Guzzi have admitted it as a 'known problem' and have fixed them out of warranty they are legally obliged to continue to do so. But I'm no lawyer so don't know if that's true, but I have written to Piaggio here in the UK asking for a clarification of the 'extended warranty' they have instituted to cover the problem. As yet I have had no reply.

As I understand it since the recall Guzzi modified the design to cure the problem but from what I've read on this forum & heard through the grapevine these retro-fitted improvements didn't 100% cure the problem and there continued to be some failures. It seems the problems have only been with bikes with A5 & A8 versions of the engine. But I have read on the UK Guzzi club forum that their latest retro-fit update has been successful....or at least there have been no failures to date. Of course finally they have re-designed the engine with roller cam followers and there should be no problems with any of those engines.

Approaching 20,000 km service on my 2012 G12 (bought an ex demo with 1000km on it - mostly clocked up by the manager), got a great deal & extras back in Sept last year. No dramas as yet to report.
Had a funny (peculiar) electrical gremlin one night just as we were sitting down for dinner.
It was a couple of months after I bought the bike
Someone noticed the headlight flickering away when they looked out our dining room window where I park the bike under the entertainment area.
I rushed out to see / smell acrid wisps of smoke emanating from around the right side of the instrument cluster. It then stopped. After much searching I found what I believe to be a fried spider behind the headlamp where the loom connects to the lamp - I removed the headlight to find this.
The following day (Sat) I pulled off the side covers and seat etc to have a closer look and checked all relays, fuse blocks connectors and possible pinch points etc - no evidence of any problem / hot spots etc.
No dramas ever since. I love the Griso and ride it most days on my daily trip to work - 80km round trip.
Most weekends I blow out the cobwebs with a spirited blat here and there. I love it's rumbling, cackling etc and look forward to racking up some serious k's over several years. Oh, and oil change every 5000km (full synthetic).
Stock motor with Termi (Db killer out).
PCV/AT, ECU, open airbox to come (ordering very soon).
Happy days.
Ride on.... :cool:

Turned 71,000 miles today on my 2-1/2 year old Griso 1200 8V.
(2010 model bought in Dec '11 as a left over.)

So far;
  • Accessories = $1863.42
  • Tires = $2337
  • Average MPG = 43.071
  • Average Fuel Cost = $3.812
  • Total Fuel = 1645.354 gallons
  • Parts needing replacement that were not self inflicted: One worn out clutch level.
  • Too many other categories to bother to list.
  • Total Cost Per Mile = .36

Hi Steve, yes back to a Guzzi. The Multistrada was great to ride, just not very far. Found that anything over 150 miles in one hit would give me bad back pain for a fortnight. Couldn't bring myself to buy another BMW, and didn't know what to buy, but saw a low miles 1200 Sport with luggage at a good price and went for it. Just returned from a trip to Scotland with my wife and daughetr last week, and really like it. Ferries all booked for a trip to Croatia in August. :)

Good to know the Griso is finally getting some serious use. :) I really should have ridden it more. :unsure:

Just thought it would be good to get a thread running with positive comments for a change. ;)

My friend had a Multistrada-he found the discomfort in his back was caused by a plastic moulding within the seat. He found this when he removed the seat cover in his desperation to see what was causing him pain. took it off with a rotary drill, and all OK. However, in the year her had it, it had £8,000 of warranty repairs-rear wheel, barrels and pistons, new crankcases, paint issues, electrics and so on. He now rides an 1190 KTM.

My own V1200 has done minimal mileage in the 2 years I have had it, mostly because it was my "sunny Sunday" bike. But since I sold my too tall V-Strom tourer (due to a leg injury) my V12 has become my tourer (a CBR600 is my daily 120 mile commuter). It is so good-great bimbling along enjoying the scenery or thrashing it through the empty roads of Europe. Already covered more mileage on two weekend trips than I have in two years.

I'm off to Croatia again next week (and a bit beyond) which is a fantastic country-beautiful with fantastic roads. You'll love it Joe Bar!

99.9% of the Harley & Victory riders I know would never even consider a Guzzi! I would sure like to hear why you made the switch. When you ride the same brand for over 20 years it becomes very hard to accept any other brand. A Fat Boy and a Griso are so very different machines so come on and give us the story, please?

I doubt 99.99% of riders of other bikes would never consider a Guzzi. My friend never had, but upon riding my V1200, he went out and bought a Norge. If you have never ridden one, you'd never know what you are missing.

I expect my V12 will end up doing around 12,000 miles a year, purely on long trips. Daily mileages will ensure the oil gets up to it's proper working temperature, which will burn off any condensation and contaminates from the oil. I've had a GSX-R750 that racked up 180,000 miles before I crashed it into a u-turning pick-up, and a 120,000 mile Fireblade, written off by the engine of a Triumph Sprint that had just hit a car head on. I'd never shy away from buying a high mileage bike.

I'm off to Croatia again next week (and a bit beyond) which is a fantastic country-beautiful with fantastic roads. You'll love it Joe Bar!

My Guzzi 1200 Sport went about 18 months ago, replaced with a BMW R1200S, but my last big ride on it was to Croatia (but we started in Spain :) ) with my wife and daughter. We loved it all, particularly the ride down the Adriatic coast. Definitely on the return visit list.

16,000 miles on the '12 Norge . Most problems are electrical... Fan keeps failing, but even with a fan the goose is hot . some seals needed replaced . but the engine runs strong ! Doesn't seem to complain too much. Another worry is the intense Denver sun will degrade the fairing and panniers. They already show discoloration. Need to get UV protection and use that cover more .

My Guzzi 1200 Sport went about 18 months ago, replaced with a BMW R1200S, but my last big ride on it was to Croatia (but we started in Spain :) ) with my wife and daughter. We loved it all, particularly the ride down the Adriatic coast. Definitely on the return visit list.

Oh yes-I've just seen the date you originally posted about Croatia. Lovely place-I rode down there in Aug & September 2012 but madwe the BIG mistake of riding back along Italian side of the Adriatic.Now I know why I saw so many Italian cars in Croatia! This year we are going down to Montenegro and Macedonia for a week.

My 13 Stelvio has been in my paws for about 16 months and except for a cam angle sensor problem which was likely my fault has been trouble free for 16,000 miles. Fully Guzziteched, good stuff!

57000 Plus Miles 2011 Stelvio Flat Tappets. One set replaced at 12000 Miles Otherwise No problem on Engine. Bike was off road one week and had loan V7 when the cams fixed. Current set of cams 45000 miles sound like new and very little adjustment. Great bike, Love it ,, A good dealer helps..

Back