• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Crank Balance Specs

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
Well I searched the site and still can't find this... I know it's here.

Can someone tell me the balance formula for the crank and moving parts on a G5? I also need the bob weight.

I seem to remember 60/40 from somewhere...

Geezeritus onset.

Alex

Just from memory, the balance factor is 52%, 26 grams? is allowed for oil in the hollow crankpin. Bob weight will be determined by piston assembly and con-rod weight.

Just to second Charlie's figure of 52%. Guzzi I think initially did it at 50% and after quite a while modified it to 52.

Changing the balance factor essentially changes the RPM where it vibrates - i.e. there is probably a different and optimal balance factor for an ambo versus a lemans. Balancing to the last gram, while it sounds great, is not of so much practical value in the real world as the weight of oil on the crankshaft is constantly changing as you rev, brake and turn corners. I would only bother if I was fitting new pistons and/or rods. It certainly can't hurt anything except your wallet.

For quite a while now I've been using the 51% figure appropriate to later models as per Guzziology. Happy with the results.

So I get about 1089.2 g for both pistons, pins, rings, and clips.
Big ends of both rods 786.9
Small ends both rods 459.5
52% of small ends + pistons etc 805.3
Plus big ends 1592.2 g

Put 26 g steel chunk into oil bore to compensate for oil.
Wrap 1592.2 g around journal (a little more that 3.5 pounds of lead strip held in place with weighed duct tape)

insatll flywheel and clutch cover.

let er rip!

we'll see how this works. Just gotta find some lead sheet or strip. I had some big-o-solder but only 2 pounds of it.

Alex

Back