• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Spark Plug Torque

pnguzzi

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Had an interesting experience. On a ride, thought I blew a head gasket, turns out that the NGK spark plug snapped at the top of the threads blowing the porcelain isolator and plug out :twisted: .
Fear set in, how the hell do we get that out. Let the shop handle it.. spun right out.

Point of this post: Chatting with NGK, they do not recommend any lubricant/anti-seize on the plugs since it leads to over torqueing. The tech noted that their plugs already have a coating on them. Furthermore the manuals spec. of 11 ft*lbs is to high it should be 7 to 8 ft*lbs.

https://www.guzzitech.com/component/jmrphpbb/160/7136.html?p=69860#p69860

scottmastrocinque said:
Brian UK said:
We recently had a case of a spark plug shearing off on a Stelvio. The bits were retrieved and sent to NGK (UK)
http://motoguzziclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12011 (You have to be registered to see it).
Response was that it had been over torqued, they (NGK) recommend 8 - 10 Nm. plus 1/3 turn on a new plug, or 1/12 turn on an old one. Guzzi seem to recommend anything between 20 and 30Nm.

I just experienced the same thing today. I should learn to trust myself better. When I did the initial service, I used the Stelvio Torque Guide which I got from the downloads section. The value it has for spark-plug torque is 30 Nm or about 22ft/lb. This seemed way high to me but I didn't listen to that little voice in the back of my head.

Well, why riding, my bike started kicking and running like crud. Got home, and tossed her on the lift. After some investigation, I decided to "sniff" around the motor, literally for a leak someplace. Upon getting my head down by the side-relief cut into the cylinder, I smelled both unburnt fuel and the nasty smell of burnt fuel/chemicals. Hmm.

Took off spark plug cover, and went to remove spark plug which came out in about 2 secs. What the Hell!!!

GuzziBrokenSparkPlug003_640x480.jpg

GuzziBrokenSparkPlug002_640x480.jpg

The threads were still in the head when I lifted out the plug with it's naked insulator! Luckily, I was able to use an extractor and a long thin socket bar to twist out the broken thread. Luckily nothing broke off and fell into the engine.

Of course, tomorrow is Sunday, and I have a snowball's chance in hell of finding this unique plug here in Northwest Ohio. lol.

Word to the wise, use NGK's torque specs sheet. The Guzzi torque sheet is WRONG WRONG WRONG at least in this case! Could have been disastrous!

476_695x900.jpg

Yup.....almost got bit by the 22 ft-lb also.

I tighten to 12 NM : ~8ft lbs and have not had any problems.

Interesting point about the anti seize. I have always put it on but perhaps I am still old school.....

Did some reading at NGK's site and found the following document.

Learn something new everyday.

Attachments

• tb-0630111antisieze.pdf
    191.5 KB · Views: 94
When torque values are that low I go by feel. All you need is just enough to crush the gasket. Any more is redundant.

Info in Guzzi manuals is the best example I know of a possible quantum effect visible at the macroscopic level - it's inherently unstable.

I noted in the Griso manual that the plug spec is with 'Molycote' which I assume is the thread lubricant of the same name. Ignore that and go with the 8 ft-lb read here?

The safest way is to use the supplied plug wrench and trust your own strength to change plugs. Lot less brutal than a torque wrench.

Back