• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Classic not starting

DeeG

Just got it firing!
Did a bunch of maintenance to the Classic last week. New tires, brake bleed, oil & filter change, trans & f/d fluid change, spline lube. Installed center stand.

Spouse wanted to take it for a ride last night, so he fired it up and off he went. Ran just fine. Except the check engine light wouldn't extinguish. I searched the site last night and found the 'fix'. Gave him the instructions and he headed out this morning to ride it to work.

Apparently, he didn't follow the instructions and shut the key off before he let loose the odo button. Now, when you turn the key, the dash lights and fuel pump do their thing, but when you hit the starter switch, nothing happens. I didn't think that would cause the problem, so I've checked other things.

Clutch in, in neutral. He even put it up on the center stand and put the side stand up. Nothing.

I unhooked the battery and let it set for a while, but still, its dead. Fuses look good.

I can't think of anything else. Maybe the side stand switch just gave up? Relay bad?

About the "fix" you mentioned for the engine light. There's two fixes. One involves re-routing some wires. If that's the path you took, perhaps during the routing a connection wasn't made? Or the connection was lost, etc.

I thought it might be the sidestand switch. I didn't move the sidestand at all, was able to get the center stand in with out messing with it. (Exhaust was off, made it real easy).

After I posted, I walked across the shop to move the baby Breva out so I could wash the cobwebs off. I took the C off the center stand. It kind of irritated me that the sidestand was in the way and I had to put it back up on the center, deploy the side, then take it off the center, then put the side stand back up to move it a bit, so I could have room to push the Breva out. What I noticed when I put the side stand up that time, that it seemed to retract just a bit further than when the center stand was down. Hmmm..... turned the key, and wouldn't you know it, she fired up.

I have no idea WHY the center stand would keep the sidestand from retracting all the way. It wasn't in the way last night..... sheesh. Gotta love my Guzzi's.. hahaha

So I guess the whole issue was operator error. I can't seem to get it to duplicate.

And the check engine light. I read a post about pushing the odo/trip knob in and turning the key on, etc. It doesn't work on mine. Light goes off when I start it, but as soon as I put it in gear, light comes back on. :?:

If you had the exhaust off check the O2 sensor connector or broken wires. The procedure in the manual is to reset the maintenance reminder not the amber light, it will either go out on it's own after a few cycles or the problem is fixed. A VDTS would pinpoint what is causing the alarm and can also reset it for you.

draidt said:
If you had the exhaust off check the O2 sensor connector or broken wires. The procedure in the manual is to reset the maintenance reminder not the amber light, it will either go out on it's own after a few cycles or the problem is fixed. A VDTS would pinpoint what is causing the alarm and can also reset it for you.

O2 sensor is fine. Forgot to mention I also stuck a Stucchi crossover on it. I HATE the fat, ugly stock one. Now I have to work up the courage to do a canisterectomy. I would like to pick up one of the Centurion units. With 7 Guzzi's, I could certainly justify it. I'm hoping the least expensive one will work for all the bikes.

Dee,

There is a version of Centurion that works on all Marelli. The all Marelli is a bit less than the Euro Pro version. I believe Todd can still deliver the VDSTS Euro Pro. You should PM him direct.

Mine does that from time to time. If the voltage to the safety interlock relay drops because of a corroded or loose terminal in a connector, the starter will not power up. The dash meters will sweep but the fuel pump wont power up either.

I found the interlock relay to be the main problem and swapping the identical relays(small square ones under the seat) with each other - or try wiggling the relay sockets,that may get the starter working again.

Also make sure the battery terminals are still tight.

There is also a another connector located behind and above the finned regulator, under the tank, that should be checked for a good tight connection - I pulled the regulator off, removed the plastic cover above it, and I found some green corrosion on one terminal in one connector there that caused the exact same problems with the starter - I cleaned it and sealed the open connector ends with some dielectric grease to keep out water.

Also check the condition of the 2 alternator wires (big yellow ones) and the plastic connector going to the finned regulator too. (in the same general area). Check the connector for heat damage (water getting in there will short the alternator and the connector will partially melt!) Seal that connector with Dielectric grease too!

Thanks, will check all that stuff as well. May be some corrosion issue. Bike has been sitting for several months (and over a cold, wet winter) as it was down to no treads on the rear tire and I just didn't have time to swap them out. I'm wondering if a little rodent creature may have tried to build a nest somewhere in the bowels of the bike.

Checking those items will go on the list of things to do when I get around to the canisterectomy. Winter Is Coming, and I doubt the bike will see daylight until spring.

Back