• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

valves and fuel consumption...

notasweetman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I was looking through the valve adjustment thread (thanks, Pete) to see if I HAD to take the fairing off to remove the valve covers (looks like I will have to. Bugger) as I am out of warranty and ready to service by myself... I have an '09 A5 coming up to the 18k service.

...and I wondered if anyone else has such an inaccurate fuel consumption figure on their computer? I have consistent readings of 32 to 34 mpg - never more than 36, but on fill-to-fill readings I'm getting anywhere from 38-48mpg, depending on how clumsy I am with the right wrist. I'd guess the computer is 20-25% pessimistic, so I use the trip meter as my fuel gauge.

I've been meaning to post this for ages, but as I've just retired and will be piling on the miles I'm now flooding the site with posts, so someone tell me to hold my peace...

The onboard computer is calibrated in US Gallons, so multiply the figure it gives by 1.2 to convert to Imperial.
It will still give a pessimistic reading though.

Odd, my NTX has a surprisingly accurate MPG figure, usually spot on regarding mileage (I get around 47mpg). My fuel used in miles to distance is always within 1/2 mpg of the 'puter either way.

...which makes me wonder why I'm only getting 35-38mpg....(09 A5... fast or slow, it doen't seem to matter much...GDP

gdp said:
...which makes me wonder why I'm only getting 35-38mpg....(09 A5... fast or slow, it doen't seem to matter much...GDP

Hmmm, that is quite heavy consumption. I usually travel with my mate on his BMW k1200s (when it's not broken...) and we always use the same amount of fuel, often to within tenths of a litre when we fill up. Both our trip computers give the same mpg as we see at the pumps. One of the UK guys on 'ere had a problem with an iffy injector overfuelling, maybe you have a similar issue ?
I've spanked mine like you would spank a ginger stepson and I always get over 40 mpg ! Even some prolonged periods of 'making progress' in Scotland this year with said BMW only resulted in 44 MPG ! Maybe mines dangerously lean and is about to hole a piston ...

On my original 2009 Stelvio fuel consumption usually was around 45mpg.
My new model NTX regularly gives over 50mpg according to on board computer, best was about 59mpg, the worst was 44mpg. Making a 300mile+ tank range, but its heavy when full :)

I agree with Bisonhead,my 2012 8v has an accurate mpg display,and always gets between 45 and 52 to the gallon,checked at the pump.Likewise,300 mile plus range.

Bisonheed said:
gdp said:

Hmmm, that is quite heavy consumption. .
As I said before, US gallons are smaller than the UK imperial gallons. 38 US mpg = 46 Imp mpg so you both get about the same result. gdp is in Nashville.

I never remove the fairing to remove the valve covers. 09 stelvio.

I have done all my own valve adjustments ... coming up on 60Km.

The only time I have pulled the fairing was to chase wiring and pull the tank.

Crikey! 60,000mls on your Stelvio, thats going some in three years. I'd be interested to hear of any problems endured, and what you've had to replace over that period.
I feel a right wimp I only average around 8,000mls total a year on my bikes, of that about 6k p.a. is on the Stelvio.

lol... Actually 60 000 Km. I am in Kanuckistan.

As far as any issues.... just one worrysome one. water in the carc. lots of it... from riding in heavy rain.

Minor things... mirrors fell off... replaced with Touono (I think) mirrors and relocated the signals to where they should be..... and speed pickup replaced nearly right off the bat.... and the plug caps arcing. Minor things in my opinion.

Other than that I just ride it. Change fluids and adjust valves as per schedule. ride some more... replace the tires... keep riding. lol

KMs and not miles LOl. Still a fair bit though. You have had similar issues to what I had on my first Stelvio except I haven't had water ingress into the CARC, or mirrors falling off.
My second Stelvio is fault free over the last 12months/6500mls.....oh well thats the kiss of death now :) something will happen now lol.

Back