• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

High-Pitched Squeak

pokeyjoe

High Miler
My V7 started making a high-pitched squeaking noise when I come off throttle pulling up to a stop. Its not the brakes. It does it for a second or two, then stops. Its been doing it for a week or so. I can't hear it cruising or accelerating. Today, at one point, it was fairly loud and definitely sounded like metal on metal.

I pulled the alternator cover off to see if I could see anything, but everything is tight. The sound is definitely coming from the front of the engine. If I start the engine cold, nothing. It has to warm up before this happens.

The bike has about 1100 miles on it and had its first service at 610.

Any thoughts?

Clutch?
The SB clutces can sound fearful and very near the last breath when pulled, which is one reason to use ear-plugs... :mrgreen:
Is it only at speed, or will you hear it at stand still? Could be a bearing which is a less attractive alternative. If you've got a center stand and dare let the bike roll in different gears when put, I'd suggest you to use a stethoscope to localize the area from where the sound origines.

Had the main bearing spin in the crankcase housing and that sounded like that. Ended up with an oil leak that couldn't be cured and the engine had to be replaced.

I hope its not a bearing.

Apparently, the small blocks have had issues with too little grease on the clutch rod and cup. I hope Luigi was just lazy again. At any rate, I'll give the dealer a call.

My 2010 V7C had 2 squeaks: one was clearly the clutch (it would happen only when the clutch was engaged), the other was much more worrisome, as it would be intermittent and only happend at around 50 mi/h speed (seemingly coming from the gearbox area).

Funny thing, my local dealer told me they were both nothing to worry about, then, when I traded the V7C in to buy my current G8VSE, they suddenly seemed to get much more worried about the squeaks... :laugh:

I took the bike to the dealer on Saturday. They were able to replicate the squeal (it really does sound like a slipping fan belt). That's good. Unfortunately, they have two Ducati's stripped down to the frame in the shop and don't want to take another bike apart until they get those sorted out. Can't say as I blame them. So, it looks like at least a month before I get my bike back. Kind of a bummer, but at least its not prime riding season anymore (although I do manage to ride quite a bit in the winter).

Pokey, half the battle is getting the sound to appear in front of the mechanics. Keep us posted with what happens. Others have had similar sounds, with different solutions.

sign216 said:
Pokey, half the battle is getting the sound to appear in front of the mechanics.

Don't I know it. I've been sweatin' that since I dropped off the bike. I didn't make the noise while I was there, but did when they took it out for a ride this week. I can't imagine the nightmare I would have faced if they didn't hear it.

Stopped by to visit my bike today. They should be starting on it today or maybe Monday. I did talk to the mechanic that test rode it. He said he called MG and they suspect that it might be the throwout bearing. Apparently, lots of bikes are delivered with a poorly adjusted clutch. No play equals all the grease getting thrown out of the bearing. The mechanic said my clutch was adjusted properly so its probably something else.

Updates when I get them.

pokeyjoe said:
Stopped by to visit my bike today. They should be starting on it today or maybe Monday. I did talk to the mechanic that test rode it. He said he called MG and they suspect that it might be the throwout bearing. Apparently, lots of bikes are delivered with a poorly adjusted clutch. No play equals all the grease getting thrown out of the bearing. The mechanic said my clutch was adjusted properly so its probably something else.

Updates when I get them.

A friend has a 750 that has an occasional squeal. I couldn't get it to do it in my presence. On the owners description, I replaced the throw out bearing. It was not the cause.

Got a call from the service manager on Saturday. He didn't have many details, but he was told that it was a "pushrod in the transmission". It was too tight or something. The mechanic also said that he has seen it before. I'll try to get more details.

Sounds like the same noise my 2009 V7C is having. The dealer ordered up a new push rod and bearings and will install them under warranty. I opted to pay for a new clutch disc as long as he was in there replacing everything.
I made a video for them since I couldn't always duplicate the sound when I took the bike to the dealer. Does it sound like this? http://s286.beta.photobucket.com/user/k ... sort=3&o=1

No, mine doesn't sound like that at all. My sounds exactly like a slipping fan belt. Sometimes it just chirps, sometimes it a full-on squeal, once it was a horrible metal-on-metal sound. Parts have been ordered (same parts you mentioned).

Fixed??

The dealer called late yesterday and said my bike is done. I feel like I may have to start over with a MSF course, at this point. It's been five weeks.

I had the service manager read the replacement parts off the work order. They replaced the clutch rod and the cup (not the bearing). According to the description of the cup, it's a new type. Hopefully, that will take care of the problem.

I will try to pick the bike up Saturday, if it's not raining.

I picked up the bike today. The mechanics explanation was that the clutch wasn't adjusted properly and there was pressure on the cup all the time. When he checked the clutch adjustment after I brought it in, he said it was fine. Is there some way to screw up the adjustment on the back of the transmission and still have proper play at the lever?

pokeyjoe said:
I picked up the bike today. The mechanics explanation was that the clutch wasn't adjusted properly and there was pressure on the cup all the time. When he checked the clutch adjustment after I brought it in, he said it was fine. Is there some way to screw up the adjustment on the back of the transmission and still have proper play at the lever?

I don't think so. Either you have free play in the cable or you don't. Any free play and the rod should not be in constant contact with the cup. The rod my touch the cup, but it won't be under pressure. The reason for the throw out bearing is so everything turns in unison when there is pressure on the rod.

Well, I'm baffled as to the cause then. I know I didn't have any play in the lever when the bike was delivered, but I fixed that before the bike had 50 miles on it. All was quiet for almost 1000 miles and then it started squeaking.

Back