• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A chemical fix for a mechanical problem!!!

dubtac

Just got it firing!
I am no means a Guzzi Technician or a much of a car guy but I think I found the miracle chemical for the Guzzi's unstable idle after a couple thousand miles. My friend an ex-marine now General Motors ASE Technician was sitting outside helping me troubleshoot the Ole Guzzi with its erratic behavior and sputtering and dying when trying to find an idle. We went through the Diag codes checked for breaks in wiring and even went as far to dielectric grease and clean all connectors just as anything with terrible connectors and spraying break cleaner looking for vacumme leaks.
So in my buddy was like lets go to the shop he works at and get some of the GM upper cylinder lubricant for induction services, he explained he gets trucks with a low amount of miles on them that are carbonized to the gills on the valve seats and a large amount of carbon causing the piston rings to stick so I was like sure why not whats the worst that is going to happen. We blow it up o well I will buy a HONDA.
We removed the outer 13/16ths spark plugs and used a Windex bottle to spray the crowns of the pistons with the lubricant and allowed it to sit inside the cylinder for a hour. He said we need to eject the freshly broken carbon out of the cylinder. You should of seen the lovely carbon spewing out of the spark plug holes all over the cylinder heads. So he asked me do you know where the vacum lines for the throttle bodies meet the purge canister. I was like I'm not sure so he noticed there was a vacum diagram and figured it out.
We put the plugs back in and started the Ole Guzzi back up, it let out a massive cloud of white smoke from the exhaust and cleared up. So what he did was use the vacumme line that connected to the throttle bodies and used his windex bottle full of the lubricant and started spraying down the line. At one point had a beautiful yellow flame spewing from the exhaust, eventually the bike died from the IV drip. He was like it should be good to go now. I took the Guzzi for a spin and performed like a new bike. The idle stabilized and the puttering desisted.

How many miles on which model and what kind of servicing has the bike had over its life?

Thanks

An old time trick to clean carbon off of the pistons and prevent dieseling of gas engines, was to pour a small amount of Kerosene into the carb throat. the kerosene would remove almost all of the carbon in just a few seconds of running. Today many of the fuel system cleaners use Kerosene as one of the cleaning agents.

A cure for stuck rings was to pour asmall amount of Kerosene into the cylinder(s) and let set for a short time. Start the engine and almost everytime the ring problem was history.

Good Luck

The bike is a 2006 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 it has 17,000 miles on the odometer, maintenance has been basic: valve adjustments, Schaffer oil changes every 1500 miles, stock air filter change 3000 miles. As for gas always use 93 octane with no ethanol which can be a challenge to find. Changed the inner and outer plugs for the bike twice in sets.Changed 6 tires, brake pads twice.
I put this motorcycle through hell and the Guzzi keeps coming back for more and more. I got the bike when I was 19 would you expect any less? I really enjoy the bike I guess I got the fever.

Back