• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Headlight Bucket Replacement?

sohcfour

Tuned and Synch'ed
All -

I understand that headlight bucket cracking is a semi-common issue with the Griso. I have noticed the start of a crack (about 1in long) originating from one of the mounting screws. Given that I just stored the bike for the winter, I removed the assembly and plan to source a replacement assembly this winter. While I did find a post from Pete regarding replacement, and a photo of someone that swapped in a V-Rod headlight, there were less topics on this than I expected. Have others had this problem? Have you resolved it by treating the crack, or has anyone found entire headlight bucket assemblies?

I hate to say it, but I actually think it would be pretty slick to fit one of the new Harley LED lamps, they're extremely bright and I think the technical look would work well with the Griso...

- Matt

sohcfour said:
All -

I understand that headlight bucket cracking is a semi-common issue with the Griso. I have noticed the start of a crack (about 1in long) originating from one of the mounting screws. Given that I just stored the bike for the winter, I removed the assembly and plan to source a replacement assembly this winter. While I did find a post from Pete regarding replacement, and a photo of someone that swapped in a V-Rod headlight, there were less topics on this than I expected. Have others had this problem? Have you resolved it by treating the crack, or has anyone found entire headlight bucket assemblies?

I hate to say it, but I actually think it would be pretty slick to fit one of the new Harley LED lamps, they're extremely bright and I think the technical look would work well with the Griso...

- Matt

You're not alone…
My bucket collapsed due the fact that some idiot at Guzzi or supplier tightened the reflector retaining screw so hard that the strap inside the housing cracked. Fortunately the reflector popped out one day as i came back from ride and sharply slowed down in front of my garage (and not while driving on the highway!)!
First i did a quick repair and send those pics at the same time to my dealer to initiate a warranty issue. I was shocked as i heard about the retail price for this dirt piece of plastic crap (≥120,-€).
Meanwhile i replaced the whole shit with an old-fashioned full metal headlight which took me completely (!) 70,-€ and fits much better the all over look of my bike…
I don't know the Harley LED headlight, but if it'll fit your taste - go for it. At least LEDs are more durable.

Dietrich

full metal bucket:
http://www.brands4bikes.de/beleuchtung/ ... gepruft-1/

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    730.3 KB · Views: 1,507
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 1,503
  • IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    855.6 KB · Views: 1,502
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    629.9 KB · Views: 1,505
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    716.8 KB · Views: 1,512
Looks pretty good, had problems myself with the" case hardened plasticine" bucket , might get a metal one as a spare, incase the replacement i have now goes kaput.

Mine was both cracking in 3 different spots and the mounting tab broke off when I took the screw out so after seeing how much the replacement bucket costs I just taped it back up until I remember that I had a generic headlight bucket from another project. I think that almost any generic bucket that isn't very deep would fit. Since I saved all of the money on not buying the replacement bucket I spent it on a LED headlight.
20121114_134841.jpg

20121114_134830.jpg

It was about $220 from NAPA part # LIT 27270C and it puts out a ton of light with a good cut off so you don't blind oncoming vehicles. I wouldn't put it in the stock headlight bucket thought as it weighs quite a bit more than the stock light and if that little tab breaks on the bucket it would go skipping down the road.

Was your spare universal bucket metal or plastic? Also, can you tell me how the LED unit attaches to the inside of the bucket? Is it one that just has some spring clips?

sohcfour said:
Was your spare universal bucket metal or plastic? Also, can you tell me how the LED unit attaches to the inside of the bucket? Is it one that just has some spring clips?

It's a metal bucket and the headlight is held in with spring clips. It hasn't moved in the housing with just the clips holding it.

Hi Moto510,

Those LED aux lights attached to the fork tubes look interesting also. Would you mind sharing info on them? Brand? Model? And if they work well enough that you'd recommend them to others?

I also had cracks in my 2011 Griso headlight bucket around the mount holes. I got it replaced under warranty. Is there an option available in the US for a replacement metal bucket? Just thinking I may need to replace one again years from now.

Question for anyone that replaced (vs repaired) their bucket. The OE Guzzi unit has a 4-pin connector that connects to the bike's wiring harness. How did you work around this? Ideally, I would like to keep my old light in-tact, since it's still in very good shape. Anyone recognize that connector and know where I could buy one?

- Matt

Moto510 - that LED install looks great!

Did you have to add resistance to the headlight circuit, or is there no warning light or anything that would require the power to be balanced? Just familiarizing myself with Grisos, so bear with me. :lol:

The LED headlight that I used doesn't require anything special for the wiring, it just plugs into the headlight plug, no warning lights or problems.

Matt- the plug connector in the back of the shell will un-clip from the shell, there's just a little tab that holds it in. No need to find the plug unless you want a spare.

The truck-lite LED is the one that I used in my Griso, it is sold under a few different names and prices

I wanted to leave the OE headlight in tact, that was my desire to source an extra connector. I'll just make my own jumper harness, essentially the same as Guzzi did but without the Euro running light bulb that isn't present in my new LED.

I did track down a replacement connector by dumb luck. I typed in "white 4-pin connector" to eBay, and there was what I wanted for $1.50. Total luck that I found it in the thousands of search results.

- Matt

Haven't looked into the price or viability yet, but the headlamp from a Hinckley Bonneville looks like it might do the job, not sure if the buckets are plastic, but can't be any worse than the o.e smegma

I can say that the LED lamp fits my spare CB500 bucket... and the bucket is a good 3/8" too wide to fit the Griso's headlight mount casting! Back to the drawing board. Maybe I'll try the neo-Bonnie or an SV650 lamp. Trouble is, it's just trial and error since it's difficult to get measurements of this stuff.

sohcfour said:
I wanted to leave the OE headlight in tact, that was my desire to source an extra connector. I'll just make my own jumper harness, essentially the same as Guzzi did but without the Euro running light bulb that isn't present in my new LED.

I did track down a replacement connector by dumb luck. I typed in "white 4-pin connector" to eBay, and there was what I wanted for $1.50. Total luck that I found it in the thousands of search results.

- Matt

For this connector, google or ebay ' MP282218-4L '

Back