• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso 8V vs Harley VROD ( VRSCR) Streetrod

thegreyman

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello All,

I am not a current Guzzi owner, but plan on being one very very soon. I currently own a 2006 harley street rod
( VRSCR) model. The bike is 1130cc and has roughly 105HP, about 620lbs. It's set up similiar to a griso--being a sport standard/roadster. I have yet to test drive griso as I cannot locate a dealer in my area that will allow me
( monterey ca). I have one major rule before buying a bike--no test ride= no purchase.

So that being said, I pose the question to you all. Has anyone ridden the harley street rod or vrods and compared them to the griso? Please give your perspective or pros and cons. I have a pic of my bike attached. Ohh and I plan on keeping my streetrod, so the griso would be the added to my stable.

Last question: any long term mechanical issues with the griso? Anything else I should now about it?

Review of steetrod here:
http://www.visordown.com/reviews/motorc ... d/325.html

thanks

Attachments

• 391455_10152009632105276_1885381276_n.jpg
    391455_10152009632105276_1885381276_n.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,238
Although not really a light bike, the Griso (8V) will still outperform the VROD in every aspects...
Braking, handling and power. As for looks, it's very subjective so it doesn't really matter.
That Harley is a cool bike for sure and the one I tested was fun to ride, despite the fact that cruisers don't do it for me.
It looks good as well in its unique style.

The 8V Griso had early recalls on cams and it was addressed promptly.
Some bikes (like mine) had an oil leak at the main seal flange developing at around 6K/8K miles.
The bolts holding that flange were a tad too long and thus, not compressing the O-ring properly so after time the oil would pass through.
All this was handled through warranty. It's basically the only real problems that I can see.
A little shy of 27K miles on my G12 and still breaking in, lol.

Another thing is that there isn't any dealer network to speak off but if you can wrench yourself on maintenance and minor stuff, you won't need them.
It's only in the event of a crash that you might have a problem with getting some parts but it's still quicker than BMW or Ducati judging by my own experience.
Good luck.

Pascal-

Thanks for the inout. I a surprised I only had one reply after ( 50 something) views. As soon I can convience the dealer to allow a test drive, looks like i will be getting a griso soon. I will also be checking the craigslist in my area. But so far, no guzzzi's for sale in nortern california!!!

Thanks again

You were looking for someone with riding experience on the two.
While I have opinions of the two I kept them to myself as that did not seem to be what you were looking for.
There are probably a few people who have ridden both but I am not one of them.

I do have a positive opinion of the Street Rod. Didn't they stop making that version of the V Rod?

I last rode the StreetRod when it was introduced, so a back to back comparo is tough... only from memory. I liked the Street for ergos and ride-ability vs. the V-Rod of course. I think you'll absolutely love the Griso 8V in comparison (in every aspect), and once you feed it some fuel and air, you'll love it so much more. My $.02.

Hi Greyman,

I have been riding Harley for more than 20 years, but no Vrod's.
I had 2, both Evo engines. A bit more than mildly tuned, about 90 Hp.
Now I have a Griso 1200, 112 Hp at the back wheel (120-125 Hp crank).
The G12 (Griso 1200) is a nearly perfect twin, nearly the best of two worlds...
When these two worlds are at one end a bottem power hammer and the other end a high rev twin.
It has a engine with a lot of torque at quite low revs, I use my G12 from 2500-6500 Rpm.
It's a lot lighter as my Harleys, the handling much, much better and almost scary brakes.
I always loved my Harley, it was a important piece of my life.
I rebuild my first Harley as almost one of a kind, my second wás one of a kind.
That was a huge feeling of joy, building your own machine, that your bike is the only one!
Now I have a Griso, there aren't that many in our world, that's exclusivity.
And of course, with taking care and looking around, I managed to make my G12 (again...) MY bike, the only one...
With changing several things and quite a bit working in details, without "pimping".
I loved my Harleys... but wouldn't go back. I found a new love, my G12...
My Joe Bar feeling is reborn again, yeah...! (my speeding tickets, too... Damn...)

Ad B

Attachments

• G12.jpg
    G12.jpg
    953.9 KB · Views: 1,147
thegreyman said:
Pascal-

Thanks for the inout. I a surprised I only had one reply after ( 50 something) views. As soon I can convience the dealer to allow a test drive, looks like i will be getting a griso soon. I will also be checking the craigslist in my area. But so far, no guzzzi's for sale in nortern california!!!

Thanks again

You got responses now. :laugh:

Anyway, the Griso will knock your socks off. That 8V engine is simply brilliant and is matted to a sweet gearbox as well. Perfect combo. Oh and the sound (even stock), is intoxicating IMO.
The 8V mill is noisy due to the front gears and the cam design but it's the nature of the beast, nothing to worry about.
And like Ad B said, lots of torque and a kick in the ass at about 5500/6000 rpm. :woohoo:
When you test ride one, do yourself a favor... Get in that 6000rpm range and have a drink on me when you're done.
It will become all too clear from that point on... :D :D

Yes I Did! :D :D

Thank you all for responding. Yes It looks like I will enjoy the griso. Being such a rare bike in the U.S., its hard to get reviews on it. I have read the one's on motrocycle.com and such, but I much rather here it form YOU - ALL, as you own them and are riding them, so no one knows guzzi's like you all. Your input has been invaulable in helping me back my decision. I do agreee, in that the griso being a more svelt on the scales will translate into a better canyon carver. Dont get me wrong, I love my streetrod, but it's time to upgrade to a more nimble machine. Hopefully I can find a used one with lowmiles and cool mods!

When you do your test ride on the Griso...don't ride it like a HD! Seriously, this engine will be a disappointment if you lug and short shift. I have ridden the V-Rods and they are similar in that they love to rev but some owners still treat them like the normal HD. Keep the Griso at 3.5K or above, 5K is even better. Hell, if you can find the road 6K is a blast. The suspension and brakes are designed for that kind of fun. Enjoy them!

pyoungbl said:
When you do your test ride on the Griso...don't ride it like a HD! Seriously, this engine will be a disappointment if you lug and short shift. I have ridden the V-Rods and they are similar in that they love to rev but some owners still treat them like the normal HD. Keep the Griso at 3.5K or above, 5K is even better. Hell, if you can find the road 6K is a blast. The suspension and brakes are designed for that kind of fun. Enjoy them!

what he said !! +1

I agree.. I normally shift right about 4000, sometimes I lower it ( heavy traffic) cool thing about the VROD it like to play around 6000rpm.

Another question- How do you deal with wind on the interstate? How is it for lite touring??? Do they make a detachable windshield for it?

I am 6'1" 240 so the wind does not push me around that much. My Griso is my mistress so I prefer her naked. I took a trip this year most of the time i was on the interstate at 90mph (just 10 over ;) ) I did not have a problem with the wind at all. I think it helped stay up :lol:

I can be of no use to the op since I've never ridden a vrod but I did ride the sportster line before i bought my Griso. In the beginning i was a bit disappointed by the Griso's relative lack of low end torque compared to the HDs but i soon discovered (with a bit of help from Todd ;) ) all the goodness. I had to adapt my riding style to the bike - mostly curbing the urge to get into high gears asap. The Griso is happiest at mid/high revs and the smooth gearing allows for low speed cruising in mid gears without being jarring. And then when you do want to get on the speedway, the top gears are happy to oblige. Once i learnt to ride it the way it likes to be ridden, i have not regretted my decision even once.

Now here's a short story that may be more relevant the vrod question. Recently i went riding with a group that i was meeting for the first time. There were a couple of vrods, a couple of sportsters and a couple of bonneyvilles. When the guys saw and heard my bike, they started trying to compare it to the other bikes in the group. After a few minutes of highly scientific brainstorming, the vrod guys concluded that this bike was above anything else they had ever seen and the only thing that could come close to it was perhaps a vmax. The rest of the group nodded. They all had been riding for way longer than i have so who was i to disagree ? ;)

I was contacted bya gentlemen from the forums. If all goes well, I will test riding his bike, if it rides as good as ti looks ( and I am convinced that it does) I will be purchasing it from him. So in as little as two weeks- I could be a GRISO owner! :D :D :D :D :D

If you dislike attention stay away from the Griso..Ive had my 8V for about three months and there hasnt been one time ive taken it out that someone hasnt come over to ask me about it or just walked up to it and taken pictures.. I was at my local cycle gear yesterday and an employee came out to see what it was and had never even heard of Guzzi, then we went in the store and a guy pulls up in his car and starts walking around my bike taking pictures...weird....Of course the best part about this bike is riding it and I really love it so far.

thegreyman said:
Another question- How do you deal with wind on the interstate? How is it for lite touring??? Do they make a detachable windshield for it?

I'm 6'1" and with the flyscreen have no trouble with wind at freeway speeds (80-85). I live outside LA and a few weeks ago took a 3-day trip north of SF to Point Reyes Station and back via Big Sur. The wind hits you on the chest, just like a small faring, and I was not tired from hanging on. You can of course put on a bigger windshield, but for me it's fine as-is for lite touring. PS: I also added the back luggage rack, which doesn't ruin the lines of the bike and allows you to strap on a duffle or other luggage.

If no one has mentioned it yet, try calling the moto guzzi dealer in Elk Grove, Ca near Sacramento. Last time I checked they were letting folks test ride the bikes. They let me ride a couple about a year ago. A bit of a haul from Monterey but heck, makes for a good day of riding. I havn't checked with them in awhile but they always had super deals on them.

I've got the new 2012 SE, no power surge at 5500rpms. It's linear from 2K to redline. Power comes on in a very no rush or excitement, you go from 75 to 105 with no warning. Comes in handy passing RV's in the mountains. :)

I'm still trying to get used to the power. Previous bike was a Moto Guzzi Quota and it usually took it's time going from 65 on up and started to stress just a bit when flogged and would not rev as easily as the 8V Griso (but would cruise at 90 all day if asked; go figure - geared a bit higher than the Griso too).

Have not ridden a Harley in over 30 years so no help there.

I've owned my 8V for two seasons now. I also spent a summer riding a VRSCR, so you'd think I could really give you a nice black and white review of the two. I'm wracking my brain to do so, because my summer with the VR was 2008. Problem is, I rode VRSCDs and VRSCFs since then, and not ridden a VR since my Griso.

My main memories of the VRs is that of terrible ergonomics and a nice engine. The VRSCR however didn't suffer the same terrible ergos though due to it's mid-pegs and more upright riding position. That bike in particular is truly a rare H-D with only 2 years of production and slow sales. I will say for anyone who hasn't ridden a VR, the engine is smooth and powerful... basically the exact opposite of what you think of when you think H-D.

I'm struggling to think of how to describe the differences... both bikes have powerful engines with good character. Both bikes handle and brake well (edge here definitely to the Griso, though!). Both are unique in appearance. Still, they're not remotely similar. I think the VR is actually the smoother of the two, where the Griso is lighter and faster. I enjoyed the VRSCR, but given the choice the Griso is more my type of bike.

- Matt

Back