• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Emissions label '73 V7 Sport

wicks

Tuned and Synch'ed
Does anyone with a 1973(ish) bike have an emissions label? The Auto Club/DMV won't register the bike until it is over 7,500 miles, unless I somehow show them an emissions label. Maybe I could print and stick someone's if they have?

Never had a label as far as I know. How can you have a v7 Sport with such low mileage?

Only in California would a 39 year old vehicle need an emission statement. I don't think there were any in 1973 for any vehicle. Have you tried a different office? Called the state vehicle headquarters?

Or you could just lie on the form. If necessary get out your drill and an old speedo cable and wind another 1000 miles onto the clock(in another thread you said it has 6500?). The bike won't care at this point.

If I wind another 1,000 on, can I wind it off after? Or is it smart and only rolls up?

The AAA club office - can't do DMV here, it's like 3 hours waiting. She said something about original owner's manual will work if that has an emissions "statement" in it - anyone got an original I could borrow/buy?

You can't wind it back. Maybe borrow another speedo, or claim it's the second time around for yours? I wouldn't tamper with yours if the mileage is original. But, like John I didn't know they had them in '73.

You should make sure you're talking to the right people at the agency, since this sounds like you got a crazy person on a full moon. Or maybe someone like, too young? Do they realize it's a '73? My 850T, which came after the V7, is a 1974, so the year is about right.

Are they actually going to look at the odometer? If not, I'd lie. Then about the time I'm ready to sell it to Jay Leno for a million, it would probably have about 10,000 on it anyway.

But then, free advice is often worth about what it costs.

Yeah, she actually came out and took notes on the DMV form. She was unwilling to fudge the number so the world could make sense. I guess I will ride it unregistered and hope the cops will understand my plight.

Is there maybe the equivalent of the Classic plate we can get here in MN, where you promise not to drive it more than 3000 mi/yr (back and forth to shows)? Maybe they would cut some slack for that?

In CA a classic bike is pre-1942. Go figure. We have incompetent people running the state, top to bottom. State income tax just got hiked to 13.3%.

Hollywood eh?

2 years ago I registered a 1980 G5 Guzzi with 10 miles on it in San Jose.

I only had the bill of sale (from Oaklahoma) and the rolling chassis. At first DMV told me to go to CHP to insure the serial numbers. The CHP said "take it to DMV!" I explained my plight and they suggested I assemble the bike and bring it back.

Several months later I made an appointment with CHP and trailered the completed bike to them. I took all the paperwork I had with me.

After getting the serial # OK'd with CHP I took it to DMV (another appointment). It costs hundreds but I got it passed.

No one asked for emissions.

I also regestered a 1973 V7 Sport with DMV with a signed title that was about 10 years old (the previous seller signed and dated it). The guy who sold it to me gave me a bill of sale dated much later. That took a while because they couldn't get the serial number correct ... the bike has the neck stamp number (almagamation #?) on the title to this day.

Sounds like yer dealin with folks at the DMV who don't do that sort of thing often. Maybe give em a call, let them know what you need, and ask for an appointment with the resident expert? Maybe a different DMV office?

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. You should be able to do it.

Alex

Got past it, just checked into another office. :)

Sprung a trans leak on the way back tho. :( And getting sort of a knock from left cylinder around 3K revs (only with the gas on), wonder if I made a mistake on the valve adjustment.

ps what oil should I put in the front forks?

Back