• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What does a Griso compare with...in riding position?

Unleaded

Just got it firing!
I'm on the hunt for an 8V Griso, and feel like a bit of a lunatic. I've never in my life been on a search for a bike based solely on magazine reviews and pictures...and yet I find myself doing that very thing right now. There are no Grisos anywhere close to me that I can find to sit on, let alone test ride.

I'll continue to look for one to try on for size, but in the meantime, In order to even narrow down what I'm really looking for, anyone out there have an opinion on a bike that "feels" similar? And I don't mean engine characteristics, speed, power....I mean view from the cockpit, width, height of gauges... etc. I haven't owned a naked bike since I had a 1980 CB900 in the early 90's. I've ridden a few Sportsters, a Speed Triple, a Duc GT1000, and numerous older UJM's.

I didn't like the GT1000 (which currently belongs to my brother). It was a fun bike, but with a full-face helmet, the chin bar obscures everything in front of you but the road. My brother loves that. I know it's a bit strange, but I like to have some 'bike' in front of me. And to be able to see the clocks with a full helmet. Truthfully I'm a bit afraid of what I think is probably a bit of "dirt bike" feel to the riding position and view, and I'm trying to get my mind around whether I would be happy with that. I'm 6'2" 200#, and I'm in the tiny minority of guys who don't mind my bikes to be a little larger - even the sporty ones. I just feel more comfortable on them, and have at least the illusion that I don't look like the proverbial monkey/football.

Case in point - I just had the opportunity yesterday to ride a VFR1200. Totally different bike, full of tupperware and electronics, of course. And not a bike I'm considering, BTW, just an opportunity that arose. But the bike 'felt' more proportionally "right" to me than say, a Sportster, which is actually at least as big dimensionally as the VFR.

I'm rambling here, and t's a bit of a vague question, I realize, but I'm really just trying to get a feel for the bike in general in terms of size.

Really appreciate any thoughts.

Not sure how responsive I can be to your ergo questions, but you are welcome to drive over to Milan (Ill.), about 260 miles from you, and sit on and ride mine.

Weather's pretty sucky just now for any longish romp, but you can get the idea.

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
Not sure how responsive I can be to your ergo questions, but you are welcome to drive over to Milan (Ill.), about 260 miles from you, and sit on and ride mine.

Bill

What a great offer, Bill. And at 260 miles away, you're about 400 closer than the next closest one I could find. :laugh:

I may just take you up on that, and I'll PM you if it works out.

As an aside, you have a really cool stable of bikes listed. If you could only keep one of those, which one would it be?

Unleaded said:
Bill Hagan said:

Bill

What a great offer, Bill. And at 260 miles away, you're about 400 closer than the next closest one I could find. :laugh:

I may just take you up on that, and I'll PM you if it works out.

As an aside, you have a really cool stable of bikes listed. If you could only keep one of those, which one would it be?

What a difficult -- and, for me, almost impossible -- question to answer.

I am occasionally envious of the folks who can buy and sell motorcycles as if they were just another toaster. I can't. Instead, I get emotionally attached to the beasts. I pine for my sold Ballabio as if it were my first love -- FWIW, that would be Yvonne, back in 1960! As annoying as that is for my wife, Kathi, she also realizes I am not about to get a newer model of her, even if I could.

Anyway, the trick answer to the trick question is "none of the above." I'd thin my herd by selling all (but only to known Guzzisti with sufficient references) and get a Norge 8v.

My brother has one and it is one impressive machine.

As for my Griso, let me know. No hurry, of course, but Saturday weather is looking as decent as things get in this part of the world in early December.

Bill

From the bikes you listed, the Triumph and Duc are closest to the Griso. Triumph is a bit more aggressive/tucked position.
One thing to keep in mind - it is fairly easy to "fine tune" the riding position to better suit what makes you happy via adjustable or lowered pegs and aftermarket bars.

I'm a similar height at 6ft 3 and find the riding position quite like the T509 speed triple i once had,albeit with lower seat height, thinking about some knight design lower pegs at some point, but they're not high on the list of priorities. Did 1200 miles over 3 days last May with no problems other than a fecking sore arse, but you'd get that with a lot of bikes.

I used to own a 2004 BMW R1150R Rockster.
The Griso's ergos are kind of like that.

The Beemer had better leg room.
The Griso has better reach to the handlebar.

That's my opinion, anyway.

As said riding position is truely personal. I'm 5' 10" 225lbs(No weight jokes!!). I own an Aprilia Tuono as well as the Griso. Even though they both have MX style bars & high pegs they are completely different. I think you might have trouble with the height & more forward position of the gegs. I lowered the pegs about the same amount(1")but I think the Griso would be better if they were farther back. As for the bars they are lower & wider so it almost feels like low "beach" bars on a HD. I added a little height to them with blocks & I like the feel. Your arms longer, I think, so they might feel good with stock bars stock.
Sorry about the long answer.

I spent a few hours on a G12 yesterday, and the ergos aren't nearly as "cramped" as one might think just sitting on the bike in the showroom, as I once did.

6'-1", 32" inseam, ~240 w/gear. A very relaxing multi-hour ride.

It is definitely relative.
My Griso is a couch to me. It is the most comfortable Bike I own. It is not my favorite bike, but it never fails to make me smile when I ride it. And I can ride it all day, for multiple days in a row.
The seat is comfy, the peg to seat distance is fine for me (5'10'), the stock bars were okay but replacing them was an improvement. There was something about the angle the stock bars put my wrists at that was just not right. I think they were too wide. Narrower bars and the Guzzi fly screen is all I have done comfort wise.

They are Sunline YZ/YZF 9660 bars in flat black.
They were clearance priced, something like $40.
They work fine for me, but either dual sport bars or street bars may work better for you.
I just can't pass up a deal and they actually work well for me.

Back