• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wheel Upgrade - is it worth it

Campagman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
My 2008 Stelvio has the 5.5" rear rim which limits the tyres available to road going one, currently RoadSmarts

I'd like to be able to do some light trails off road.

I can get a pair of rim damaged wheels for around £400 on to which I can the get a 4.25" rim laced and even get the front re-rimmed so I could have spare set of wheels.

Apart from the off road ability of a narrower rim what would I gain on road from this change? Is it worth it?

Hello !
I think ( may be wrong ) you won't gain anything on the road,i think the bike will be a bit sharper on tight cornering...?

I don't own a stelvio but i have a bit of experience on off road.... if i wanted to use my stelvio off road i will get 21 front and 18 rear wheel rims ! ( as a spare set just for off road use )
Why ? you will have a lot of more tires options, and off road the front 21 and rear 18 are "almost" a must .

I did few rides in Tunisia and Maroc with my old BMW G/S and saw a few "hard core " :eek: off road 1150 and 1200 bmw gs with the 21 front wheel ( with traditional forks , without telelever ) and 18 rear and the owners of those bikes told me the off road drive-ability of their bikes improved a lot...

But again , it depends what kind of off road you are willing to do... i mean, for a week end warrior the 19 and 17 will be fine...

ciao !

If you ride road only -it's just that the 150 section tires can had be a bit cheaper then the 180 section. the 180 section may also wear a bit faster as they are typically a bit sportier - but how many tire changes does it take to recoup?

180 section should handle a bit better on road

I changed the rear on my 09 Stelvio and would not consider going back.

Turn in is sharper with no noticeable down side.

Much better tire selection available with longer lasting and/or more aggressive tread tires easily available for typically lower cost per tire.

Made a massive improvement in off pavement riding!

UKstridey said:
Jonathan

If its of any interest a pair of brand new genuine cast ally rims are avaiable on ebay under this link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTO-GUZZI-ST ... 25d87e0dsh
for £399.00 plus shipping and tyres ofcourse. These would be ok for light off roading.

cheers
Mark

Yeah, thanks ,saw those but didn't consider suitable for off road, not as flexible as spoked rims. I may give them a call though.

ARVENO said:
Hello !
I think ( may be wrong ) you won't gain anything on the road,i think the bike will be a bit sharper on tight cornering...?

I don't own a stelvio but i have a bit of experience on off road.... if i wanted to use my stelvio off road i will get 21 front and 18 rear wheel rims ! ( as a spare set just for off road use )
Why ? you will have a lot of more tires options, and off road the front 21 and rear 18 are "almost" a must .

I did few rides in Tunisia and Maroc with my old BMW G/S and saw a few "hard core " :eek: off road 1150 and 1200 bmw gs with the 21 front wheel ( with traditional forks , without telelever ) and 18 rear and the owners of those bikes told me the off road drive-ability of their bikes improved a lot...

But again , it depends what kind of off road you are willing to do... i mean, for a week end warrior the 19 and 17 will be fine...

ciao !

Cheers, 21 and 18 are a bit extreme, more the weekend warrior approach just considering the rear rim width. I've a KTM400 for 'real' off roading.

Campagman said:
UKstridey said:
Jonathan

If its of any interest a pair of brand new genuine cast ally rims are avaiable on ebay under this link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTO-GUZZI-ST ... 25d87e0dsh
for £399.00 plus shipping and tyres ofcourse. These would be ok for light off roading.

cheers
Mark

Yeah, thanks ,saw those but didn't consider suitable for off road, not as flexible as spoked rims. I may give them a call though.

Is this a correct assumption that you need spoked wheels for off road?

I believe light off roading will be ok with cast ally wheels. I assume you wont be doing too much heavy stuff on the stelvio after all? will you? :shock:

Well, got myself and part exchange narrow section ex NTX rear wheel from Gutsibits. :D :D :D . Took some time off and went over to pick up. They have big old mill building full of s/h parts for all sorts of models - give them a look at http://www.gutsibits.co.uk

They took my full size wheel in part exchange, unfortunately not much value in a 5.5" wheel thought.

So, newish 4.25" ready to go on, needs a new tyre. So now the question is what tyres?

Time for a bit of searching I think.

"So, newish 4.25" ready to go on, needs a new tyre. So now the question is what tyres?"

My suggestion....

IMG_20120808_101522.jpg

IMG_20120808_101459.jpg

IMG_20120808_101717.jpg

mitas E07

Scrape pegs on pavement and play in the dirt with confidence!

IMG_20120927_131751.jpg

IMG_20120927_131553.jpg

Sand was too soft to use the stand so I had to dig a hole so the bike would sit by itself...

IMG_20120927_125609.jpg

Shrike said:
IMG_20120808_101717.jpg

mitas E07

Scrape pegs on pavement and play in the dirt with confidence!

Shrike - I like the look of those :D :D

Any more info on their performance, I'll be main on road with excursions to off road.

Well... lol

I'm expecting to get better than 20,000 Km out of them.... so better life than a TKC, Tourance, or Anekee.
Lots of notice when pushing the limits..... don't suddenly let go... more start to drift.
Speed has not been an issue for me.

I'm really liking them.

ARVENO said:
Hello !

ciao !
....I'm not aware of any 18inch rear wheels for Stelvio....Where might one find such an item? gdp

Fitted the new narrower rear wheel, now shod with a new Metzeler Tourance (also on the front). I'll go for the knoblies at a later date.

Went out yesterday for a quick spin (not been ridden for 2 months, I use my Honda in the winter)........it was great, bit cautious with then new tyres, went down one trail, just to get some dirt applied.

This is what I was doing the previous day on the Honda, in prep for doing the same on the Stelvio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu0DRycRpdE
A friend on his GS with my other half on thge back!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgzk8G3Evcw

These trails were like rivers

Attachments

• IMAG0566.jpg
    IMAG0566.jpg
    789.2 KB · Views: 574
Campagman said:
Well, got myself and part exchange narrow section ex NTX rear wheel from Gutsibits. :D :D :D . Took some time off and went over to pick up. They have big old mill building full of s/h parts for all sorts of models - give them a look at http://www.gutsibits.co.uk

They took my full size wheel in part exchange, unfortunately not much value in a 5.5" wheel thought.

So, newish 4.25" ready to go on, needs a new tyre. So now the question is what tyres?

Time for a bit of searching I think.
....Though I was skeptical, I took a chance on Metzeler 880 marathon for rear tire....and?....excellent !....PLENTY of grip..(better than I expected,NO SLIPPAGE,EVER)....and can get 8000 miles from the rear tire...virtually double what I got on Michelin III's,Michelin II's,you name it, I've tried it........Strictly on road....I commute 50miles a day....and am sticking with Metz. rear.....to each his own........

Finally got to ride today,tyres feel good and it does seem to change direction more readily.
Even tried a short green lane, bars feel a touch too low despite the new lower footpegs

Attachments

• IMAG0571.jpg
    IMAG0571.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 499
I went on the other direction... I got NTX my11 with 4,25" rim. My 99.9% riding is on road, so I dicide to buy second hand black 5,5" rim from the ones who prefer 4,25".

Now, I like to try new experiences and want to go little off road, so I bought TKC80 tires, back and front. The feelin on road with them is rubbish, you must disconnect ABS and noise coming up from 70mph is annoying. Vibration, I can handle it.

Today the weather is nice, so I will go again off road. I drive carefully off road, for now it scares me a little when I need to brake the 320kg on a dirt path.

On the good/bad side tkc80 won't last much on road...

After the morning off road ride... I can say TKC80 are made for it.
http://db.tt/vwYItBc1
http://db.tt/GHMwxYYp

Unfortunately, as I was taking pictures, the bike moved forward and fell down :shock:
http://db.tt/IQhePn2v

After lifting 300kg, not a big thing thanks to protections and mud ;)
http://db.tt/HCqFQ42A
http://db.tt/ke3c6fms

If you are not an expert I don't recommend any other trail types...avoid mud, sand or narrow trails, Stelvio is too heavy for that.

TKC80 are bad for high on road speed (70mph up) or wet pavement. Perfect for trails, grip is good on winding roads with nice weather.

Back