• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Terrible Experience with V7 Racer 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

gccguzzi

Just got it firing!
So the production run of 2012 V7Rs completed earlier this year and I received my bike in Kuwait in late August (apparently there were strikes at the factory which cause delays, haven't verified this though).

I've had nothing but trouble with my V7R since I got it. The rear brake foot lever started leaking on my first few rides, which required tightening (not sure if the clip on the brake hose was changed or squeezed tighter). Then between 100 and 200km into running in the engine a grey oil hose at the top of the right cylinder came loose, and oil started getting splattered all over the engine. Back to the dealer I went, and he replaced the clip.

Now I've done about 3000km on it. Still rather low mileage, but the problems keep mounting. I've left it at the dealer again, missing out on great riding weather as there appears to be another leak and some clutch issues.

The current leak is stemming from a clear/white Y-connecter that joins three hoses and is located behind the ignition/starter motor on the left hand side of the bike. Oil has been dripping out the bottom drainage hose in currently small, but concerning quantities. Apparently the connector is broken and the dealer says that MG have issued a recall on various clips for the V7. Great.

The clutch issue is a peculiar one. Firstly, I can start my bike without holding in the clutch. Something that isnt supposed to happen. My friend who got his V7R in the same shipment as mine tried his, and as the manual states, the engine should only fire if the clutch is held in. Lets hope its just some sensor cable that's loose.

The other issue with the clutch is that i keep tightening the adjuster rod on the clutch lever itself. Ive got 5mm left of travel on the screw before it literally comes out, so I'm hoping it only needs adjusting/tightening near the engine end and that turns out to be the reason for the constant travel.

All in all, not a good first experience with Moto Guzzi. Such a gorgeous bike, and so much fund to ride when it actually functions properly. These problems on such a new ride are to be honest not acceptable, especially when paying that much for a bike that Moto Guzzi are so proud of.

Wow, looks like you got one built on a Monday :D I can start my Breva with the clutch out if the bike is in neutral and as for the manual, there are some conflicting notes in my Breva manual as well. Seems like the engineers and the writers of the manual didn't quite see eye to eye.

Hopefully you will get these issues sorted out quickly so you can begin to enjoy the bike.

It sounds like you need a better dealer.
Did your dealer not perform a PDI?
Good luck.

entreq8 said:
So the production run of 2012 V7Rs completed earlier this year and I received my bike in Kuwait in late August (apparently there were strikes at the factory which cause delays, haven't verified this though).

I've had nothing but trouble with my V7R since I got it. The rear brake foot lever started leaking on my first few rides, which required tightening (not sure if the clip on the brake hose was changed or squeezed tighter). Then between 100 and 200km into running in the engine a grey oil hose at the top of the right cylinder came loose, and oil started getting splattered all over the engine. Back to the dealer I went, and he replaced the clip.

Now I've done about 3000km on it. Still rather low mileage, but the problems keep mounting. I've left it at the dealer again, missing out on great riding weather as there appears to be another leak and some clutch issues.

The current leak is stemming from a clear/white Y-connecter that joins three hoses and is located behind the ignition/starter motor on the left hand side of the bike. Oil has been dripping out the bottom drainage hose in currently small, but concerning quantities. Apparently the connector is broken and the dealer says that MG have issued a recall on various clips for the V7. Great.

The clutch issue is a peculiar one. Firstly, I can start my bike without holding in the clutch. Something that isnt supposed to happen. My friend who got his V7R in the same shipment as mine tried his, and as the manual states, the engine should only fire if the clutch is held in. Lets hope its just some sensor cable that's loose.

The other issue with the clutch is that i keep tightening the adjuster rod on the clutch lever itself. Ive got 5mm left of travel on the screw before it literally comes out, so I'm hoping it only needs adjusting/tightening near the engine end and that turns out to be the reason for the constant travel.

All in all, not a good first experience with Moto Guzzi. Such a gorgeous bike, and so much fund to ride when it actually functions properly. These problems on such a new ride are to be honest not acceptable, especially when paying that much for a bike that Moto Guzzi are so proud of.
Just sounds like Italian new bike niggles to me.
Ciao

Sorry to hear about your problems, hopefully you will get them sorted out and begin to enjoy the bike. I tend to agree with some of the other replies regarding bike set-up from the dealer. Your bike is only as good as the dealer that put it together and prepped it. Maybe some of your issues were from the factory but loose bolts should be a bike setup check especially the controls.

Entreq8,
The problems you've had are all small, and things you could do yourself. Really.
In the past to ride a motorcycle you had to be something of an amateur mechanic. Modern bikes are more "ride and forget" but being able to do some simple work is a big help.

Guzzi had a problem with the clamp for the cylinder head oil line on some V7's, and sent out a service bulletin on it. If it leaks again, feel free to cut off of the old clamp and put on a new one. Common auto clamps have worked fine for me; it's not a high pressure line.

For the brake line leak, same as above. Feel free to tighten/replace the clamp yourself.

Having to adjust the clutch cable can be irritating, and worrisome. There's another adjustment down where the cable meets a lever, at the bottom of the transmission. That can be a pain to do, but you could ask the dealer to adjust it down there, to give you more play back at the handlebar. Hopefully once the bike settles in you won't need more adjustment.

Your bike starts even when the clutch lever isn't pulled. As you guessed, it sounds like the safety switch isn't connected. Not really a problem, but you could have it re-connected if you wish.

Keep us posted. We can walk you through almost any work that needs to be done.

Joe

P.S. Can you post a picture of the "Y" union that's leaking?

sign216 said:
Entreq8,
The problems you've had are all small, and things you could do yourself. Really.
In the past to ride a motorcycle you had to be something of an amateur mechanic. Modern bikes are more "ride and forget" but being able to do some simple work is a big help.

Guzzi had a problem with the clamp for the cylinder head oil line on some V7's, and sent out a service bulletin on it. If it leaks again, feel free to cut off of the old clamp and put on a new one. Common auto clamps have worked fine for me; it's not a high pressure line.

For the brake line leak, same as above. Feel free to tighten/replace the clamp yourself.

Having to adjust the clutch cable can be irritating, and worrisome. There's another adjustment down where the cable meets a lever, at the bottom of the transmission. That can be a pain to do, but you could ask the dealer to adjust it down there, to give you more play back at the handlebar. Hopefully once the bike settles in you won't need more adjustment.

Your bike starts even when the clutch lever isn't pulled. As you guessed, it sounds like the safety switch isn't connected. Not really a problem, but you could have it re-connected if you wish.

Keep us posted. We can walk you through almost any work that needs to be done.

Joe

P.S. Can you post a picture of the "Y" union that's leaking?

Wot he said !

Hi folks, the 3 way union is labeled at part 36 on page 46 of the spare parts manual. The actual part number is AP8120116
My friend who boug the same bike with me has developed a leak from the same area on his bike now, amd yes, the oil hose from the top of the cylinder has slipped out of place also. We will be changing all clips.

I forgot to ention that one of the screws holding the front 7 fairing in place also fellvoff whilst riding and ive since replaced it with my own with generous amounts of loctite. Also another screw holding the aluminum inlet hose cover on one side also came loose and fell off and i had to replace it.

Does the bike ship from factory loose and the dealer is supposed to tighten EVERYTHING, or were these two bikes really assembled by someone with a faulty torque wrench?

I know these 'fixes' arent rocket science but who on earth expects to pay this much money for a bike that leterally falls to pieces and leaks until you have to titen everything yourself.

My buddy JUST got back from riding his V7R with just 1500 KMS mileage on his odometer, his manifold screws came loose, one nearly fell out, the others had play. Seriously turning into a joke now, a manifold falling off could cause a very serious accident.

Guzzi's aren't for everybody. Maybe an offering from the Asian big-4 would be better suited to your needs. They are historically lower maintenance, but not nearly as fun and lifeless IMHO. So there is a trade off.

The bikes are typically shipped mostly put together. The dealer finishes assembly and is supposed to check over the bike to make sure things are right.
Once things are "right" it is up to the owner to maintain things in that state. That means checking bolts for loose ones and tightening where required. That is part of owning the bike.
There are times where there may be a defect, either in design or assembly, and you may have things like a bad clamp design come loose on a non-critical (not pressurized) oil line and a leak develops. So cut off the original clamp and put on a better clamp. Having a dealer replace it with the same type of clamps seems silly.
If you want a motorcycle that just runs like an appliance, you may have bought the wrong one and might be happier as mentioned with a Japanese model. Not that Guzzi's are full of problems, when properly set up and maintained the typically will outlast the Japanese bikes. But the do require being properly set up and maintained and do tend to require more of an involved owner who looks after all those little details.

Sorry, can't entirely agree, things like manifold bolts should be tight out of the factory, and should not need routine checking by the owner.
I see no reason at all why a Guzzi should not be put together as well as any other make of bike. Hardly surprising that there is such a fast turnover.
The club here in the UK has a high turnover of members owning the new models, invariably they are sold due to niggling faults and replaced by another make. I see no reason why anyone should have to put up with that, it's not as if Guzzi charge far less for their bikes after all.

Brian UK said:
Sorry, can't entirely agree, things like manifold bolts should be tight out of the factory, and should not need routine checking by the owner.
I see no reason at all why a Guzzi should not be put together as well as any other make of bike. Hardly surprising that there is such a fast turnover.
The club here in the UK has a high turnover of members owning the new models, invariably they are sold due to niggling faults and replaced by another make. I see no reason why anyone should have to put up with that, it's not as if Guzzi charge far less for their bikes after all.

Again Guzzi's aren't for everyone. I don't mind looking after a bike and I love Italian 2 valve air cooled motors. I own both Ducati's and Guzzi's 2 valvers. At the end of the day they are worth it to me with all their little quirks slightly higher maintenance intervals/costs that the Asian big 4 don't have. But what they do have is personality, timeless beauty, performance suited to my tastes. That is what I love about the Italian bikes. I also enjoy tinkering and spending time with my bikes so checking fasteners isn't a chore but quality time.

Brian UK said:

I agree with your Brian, manifold screws coming loose is NOT exactly regular maintenance. Note that my mate's bike has only done 1500 kms!

Neither one of us are lay men when it comes to mechanics and vehicle maintenance, but having this many things loose, and falling off just 1500 - 3000 kms into ownership is frankly unacceptable and a pain in the ass. We are based in the Middle East, not the US or UK and so we have to wait a considerable amount of time to get replacement parts. All in all, losing precious riding time whilst my bike awaits new clips/clamps.

(attached below is image of where the most recent leak developed, around the connections to this Y union piece.
Part number AP8120116 "3-way union"

Attachments

• AliV7Leak.png
    AliV7Leak.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 576
Perazzimx14 said:
Again Guzzi's aren't for everyone. I don't mind looking after a bike and I love Italian 2 valve air cooled motors. I own both Ducati's and Guzzi's 2 valvers. At the end of the day they are worth it to me with all their little quirks slightly higher maintenance intervals/costs that the Asian big 4 don't have. But what they do have is personality, timeless beauty, performance suited to my tastes. That is what I love about the Italian bikes. I also enjoy tinkering and spending time with my bikes so checking fasteners isn't a chore but quality time.
So what you are saying is that if someone wants a bike which is not going to fall apart in the first 1000 miles, don't buy a Guzzi.
My view is that a Guzzi should not fall apart in the first place. Fortunately many don't, but that doesn't help the new owner of one which does. Both quality control and dealer PDIs should be better.
Buy a new Guzzi and find the resale value is a fraction of what you just paid. Why? because of the problems and the way they are dealt with. Hardly surprising that a sizable number of new to Guzzi owners don't stay in that group for long.

I agree that Guzzi's take a little more involvement than most makes and I make a point of running a spanner and an eye over things regularly, but this degree of issues sounds over the top. I doubt that I would put up with it if it doesn't get any better. It is a shame that they can't get it together and retain some customers. They'll always be niche bikes which is part of the allure for some but not selling enough to stay in business doesn't help anybody.

All I can say is hang in there. Once you get through the initial fetling in, the rewards are huge. My Jackal has done over 90,000km and my Bellagio has just turned over 42,000km. Both are dead reliable and a joy to ride. Do your best to find a good mechanic who's an enthusiast. Most dealer guys are well meaning but Guzzi's take commitment from the mechanics to get to know them as we'll. Most don't bother.

Good luck

As for the manifold bolts coming loose, that is a know issue since the small blocks came out. The gasket compresses and guess what, they get loose. Same thing with the exhaust side. That is why they should be checked during the PDI and each service. Also the flange is not that robust, so you can't get it very tight either. As for the Y connector, chock that up to supplied by the lowest bidder. It is plastic, and some will fail. I'll put the onus on the dealer for not doing a good PFI (it would have caught the manifold bolts it he did his job). Granted that manifold design could be better, but with some thinks you just have to suck it up and live with it.

Knowing a good Guzzi exited workshop / mechanic is the key point for trouble free kilometers, especially if you don't have the possibilities to do it yourself, for whatever reasons.
The good Guzzi dealer eliminates the (mostly small like in this case) defect sources Luigi
incorporated after his Chianti lunch brake.
Same here in Germany : Good dealer, nearly no problems – plenty of new Guzzis in the surrounding area with smiling riders on top.
The “if you can't fix it you don't deserve it” attitude is counterproductive to increase the number of bitter needed new customers.
For sure none of the new customers bought their Guzzi by chance or because the Kawa was just out.
It's normally a longer process which includes the payment of a rather higher price and the pleasant anticipation of riding a good looking and sounding motorcycle. I completely understand the disappointment when the new owner discovers oil leaks. The initial reason for the oil leak is secondary, the point is that nobody paid money for studying spare parts lists or phone calls instead of riding the new motorcycle. We need the new customers, as people like me who ride nearly 30 years old Guzzis don't really help the brand to survive. I'm bugged when I see a new unhappy Guzzi customer because of a few lousy clamps. If it's possible to point him in the right direction to get the problems solved, it should be done without any sayings. Nevertheless, a little bit more commitment can be expected :p

Cheers,

Kai

Brian UK said:
Perazzimx14 said:
So what you are saying is that if someone wants a bike which is not going to fall apart in the first 1000 miles, don't buy a Guzzi.
My view is that a Guzzi should not fall apart in the first place. Fortunately many don't, but that doesn't help the new owner of one which does. Both quality control and dealer PDIs should be better.
Buy a new Guzzi and find the resale value is a fraction of what you just paid. Why? because of the problems and the way they are dealt with. Hardly surprising that a sizable number of new to Guzzi owners don't stay in that group for long.

I never stated "that if someone wants a bike which is not going to fall apart in the first 1000 miles, don't buy a Guzzi." I stated that Guzzi's aren't or everyone. Maybe you fall into that catagory as it seems you have a nit to pick with the Guzzi brand.

"Buy a new Guzzi and find the resale value is a fraction of what you just paid. Why? because of the problems and the way they are dealt with. Hardly surprising that a sizable number of new to Guzzi owners don't stay in that group for long" What would you guess the numbers or percentages are for your above statement. Here in the States it would surprise me if Guzzi sells 500 new units per year. Out of all the people I know who bought new Guzzi's or all the people who post their new Guzzi's on the various sites I can't remember 1 single soul leaving the fold for reasons you state. Heck, most end up buying another Guzzi because they fall in love with the brand.

If a $1.50 barbed wye connector and two $0.35 hose clamps are keeping the OP from riding I feel sorry that neither he nor his dealer can source the parts locally or find and alternative fix. I would be more concerned that the dealer is not up to snuff verses the machine is inferior if my bike were in the shop waiting for a hose clamp.

I think we can wrap this thread with this simple summary; Guzzi is largely still a hand-built, niche marque. Problems arise. It is up to the dealer to handle in depth problems under warranty, and truly do a PDI (a large amount of them don't sad to say).
The small issues that arise due to simple/cheap related items (not including cosmetics like the fuel tank issues), should be addressed by an owner that is willing to solve those without prejudice, as frustrating as that is to those who spend upwards of $10k+ U.S. It's what owning a fairly exclusive brand entails.
Assuming that folks buying the V7 are those who'd rather buy new, then dive into owning a older "café'd" UJM or equivalent. If those reading this thread feel as though it shouldn't be, I'd recommend look to another brand (which they all also have many issues). Nothing is perfect. Guzzi builds pretty solid motorbikes for those who get passed the small (and even occasionally large) issues.

Also, that Y fitting appears to be the airbox drain. If so, it is not a "leak" that would stop you from riding the bike. I would venture to say that unless you are overfilling the oil there should be little to no oil in the airbox.
Guzzi's are not just exotic or exclusive, they are largely hand built (as Todd pointed out) and they are a small company without the resources of larger manufacturers. They do not make much of the pieces required to build their bikes and rely on suppliers for those parts. But I would imagine they are not even a large customer to some or all of those suppliers so they tend to get what they get from their suppliers. They also do not have the resources to over develop there bikes like some do so there is an element of refinement that is often lacking in a Guzzi. But to some, myself included, that can be part of the charm of a Guzzi.
As has been said, they are not for everyone and a good dealer who knows what they are doing, coupled with an owner willing to put in a bit more effort then required for owning say a Honda, goes a long way towards a happy ownership experience.
My Griso stopped dead on me within a week of ownership because, seemingly unbelievably, Guzzi did not use a fuel hose inside the fuel tank that was rated for being submersed in fuel. But that was resolved by the dealer and I went on. Recently the issue cropped up again and I implemented a more permanent fix using safety wire to hold the assembly together. When you encounter an issue you deal with it and move on or you can sell the bike and buy something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back