• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2007 Griso 3746 miles...should I buy?

rodclement

Just got it firing!
Hello everyone!

Thinking about buying a 2007 Griso 1100 with 3746 miles on her for $5,5oo. Only known issue is a small tear in the seat. Bike is semi-local so I can check it out in person prior to purchase.

A couple of questions for you, actual owners, and experts...does it sound like a good deal? I am looking for a daily commuter and possible travelling bike. I have a 2011 gsxr 750cc for track and fun bike and am looking for a daily rider with some personality! The Griso looks incredible, and from what I have read so far, performs well and some people use it as a touring bike as well, correct?

Secondly, how hard is it to find accesories like touring screen, and bags, etc? And cost of maintnence, is it prohibitive or extra complicated like a Ducatti? :)

Thanks for any replies, hopefully I move forward with this and become a part of this great community!

Rod

Sounds to me like a reasonable bike , at that mileage it's only just beginning to loosen up . I have an 06 model , which i ride regularly for pleasure,legroom could be an issue for some people but i manage and i'm quite tall . Longest trip so far was a three day , 1200 mile jaunt round Scotland , which it, and me did with ease , although the old backside was aching for a day or two after . Some dealers carry a few accessories, but if they have to order from Guzzi, i've found it can take a few weeks to turn up. General maintenance is a doddle as most things are easily accessible , although i'm not up on the fuelling adjustment stuff. Ride and enjoy.

Thanks for the reply! I am 5'10 inches with a 30 inch inseam so I think I am just about the average size for this bike!
Any major issues I should be worried about and should check during inspection?

Rod

Rod, welcome to the Forum and in advance to the Famiglia.

If the bike is in good shape other then the seat (tires, battery, etc) then it's an average deal. The only real known issue is that the in-tank fuel pump should've been warrantied with a new style (which simply was a re-configured version of the same pump). Count on pulling it and replacing the filter and fuel line with the submersible type. Other then that, basic maintenance is a breeze once you have/own the Centurion software.

Touring wise, you can obviously ride them far if you want a sporty machine. Windscreen and bag options can be found here in this section (not many offerings, remember this is a minuscule brand).

Good luck in the purchase... just be forewarned, Guzzi is an addiction.

I just sold my mint 2007 Griso with 4,250 miles on it for $7,250.

Wind srceens amd luggage can be found but you will not have as many choices as most other brands. Other farkles like fender eliminators are few and far between. you either make stuff yourself or buy it when you see it cause chances are it won't be there long.

Routine maintenance is simple to perform yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Oil changes (engine, transmission and final drive) are all simple. Valves are probly the easiest of any motorcycle as the heads stick out the side of the bike and are easily accessed.

May I ask why you think Ducati's are "prohibitive or extra complicated" . My 900ss is dead simple to work on. You don't have to be versed in the black arts or sell your soul to the devil to work on them thats all legend told by folks that heard their freinds neighbors barber talking about the Ducati's his friends brother used to own. Belts take 15 minutes to change, oil is the same as any other bike, so is chain adjustment and other routine maint. Shim/bucket valve trains are not exclusive to Ducati and are not overly complicated.

Things you need to prepare for when owning an Italian bike:

1. Limited dealer network (Guzzi is one of the most limited)
2. Part for Italians are more expensive
3. Nothing comes out of Italy the month of August
4. You will learn to excersise patience while waiting for parts if they are not stateside.

Thanks guys!

I am trying to close the deal pending an actual visual inspection of the bike and test ride. I am fortunate to have a dealer close to my house so I am ok there, I can bring the bike over and have them check it over for me.

I'll be honest, I never owned a Ducatti so all the horror stories about the overly complicated maintnence, and crazy expensive services may all be hearsay, I am glad the Guzzi does not have this reputation!

Now to try to close the deal!

Rod

rodclement said:
I am glad the Guzzi does not have this reputation!
Rod

Guzzi and their owners have a reputation all their own. That why within a year of buying my 1st Guzzi, I had three of them setting in the garage.

Good luck the Griso is a fine bike. The only reason I sold mine is it didn't stir my soul like the smallblock Guzzi's.

The deal is done! Pending my inspection of the bike when I go to pick it up! Got it for a song! The final deal is $4250 in cash and a Tag Heuer watch I own and have sitting at home! Not a bad deal for a piece of Italian sexy!

The guy bought this bike for his dad who didn't like it and wanted a lower Harley so it's been there occupying space in his garage...just fully serviced at the local dealership with synthetic oil, and fully checked with papers to back it up! Color is black and is all original with the addition os a small wind screen. Only issue is a small tear on the seat.

Sounds all to good to be true but I guess I will find out soon enough!

Rod

Enjoy your purchase, they're great bikes. It'll take a little getting used to - obviously it's very different to a GSXR - but once you click with it you'll love it.

Congratulations on the purchase. Just about any shop that does auto upholstery can make a new seat cover for you at a fraction of the cost of a new seat. I've got a guy that will do one between $75 and $150 depending on the complexity of the seat cover. Prices may be higher where you live.

john zibell said:
Congratulations on the purchase. Just about any shop that does auto upholstery can make a new seat cover for you at a fraction of the cost of a new seat. I've got a guy that will do one between $75 and $150 depending on the complexity of the seat cover. Prices may be higher where you live.

Now is a perfect time for him to practice being a Guzzi owner...........duct tape the tear and color match with a sharpie :mrgreen:

Perazzimx14 said:
Now is a perfect time for him to practice being a Guzzi owner...........duct tape the tear and color match with a sharpie :mrgreen:
Probably end up on your pants after the first ride. Hope it matches your suspenders.

Man... knew I was going to like this place! :)

According to the current owner, the rip is so small that I would not have noticed if he didn't mention it...he said that a buddy sat on the bike with a screwdriver in his pocket, ripped his pants, and into the seat...in any case, there is a shop very close to my job that does incredible work on harley seats...I am sure they would do just as good on a piece of fine Italian sourced leather! :cool:

I'll keep you guys posted on how things work out!

Rod

Wow congratulations. What a great deal.

Are you in north jersey? There's a black griso up there with 3746 miles that I was trying to buy hehe. You paid WAY less than I was gong to offer, hehe.

Good luck wi it ever way!

Rod,
Congrats and welcome to the famiglia! You got a GREAT deal on your Griso. That motor isn't even broken in yet!
As you have already heard, Guzzi's can get a bit addictive. These bikes have a "character" that other bikes just don't possess :D
As you have probably already learned from the forum, if necessary for you, the riding position on the Griso can be "fine tuned" easily with aftermarket bars and adjustable pegs. Getting the suspension dialed in for your weight will completely transform the bike. Although "farkles" for the Griso are a bit harder to find than for more common bikes they are definitely available(as my bank account can confirm ;) ). If you want to maximize the performance potential of your Griso, get Todd's complete fueling package: pipe, open air-box with BMC filter, ECU re-flash and Power Commander V. These mods are worth every penny!!!
On a side note,since you mentioned bags, I have an OEM MG tail rack for sale for the Griso (see the classifieds). In my humble opinion this is the best looking tail rack available, but does require drilling 2 holes in the tail section to mount it. MG also sells a nice bag that clips onto this rack.
Congrats again and enjoy!

Back