• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2001 California Jackal dead

guzzinw7

Just got it firing!
New owner of 2001 MG Jackal

I put a couple thousand miles on it without issue....bike ran flawlessly. Rain and cold weather here in the NW have now apparently bit the electrical side of the bike. It suddenly died 100 yards from the garage on return to home few days ago. Everything dead......turn of key shows no lights of any kind.

Cleaned and checked fuses and relays. Fuses all looked good.....some minor corrosion......turned the key and everything back working again. Fired it up and it lasted about two seconds before it died again and everything dead again. I had just replaced the battery so it's possible something is somehow related to that change. Noticed on one of the posts the possibility of a faulty kill switch and will check that.

Any ideas to what next? Brett

Backup machine: 1979 Yamaha SR500

Hi Brett, welcome. SR 500 - brings back memories.

Check the battery ground cable at the frame/trans. If its not that could be a defective battery, a load test would rule that out. good luck.

Thanks gentlemen- ground issue will be a good one to check and will look at that first.

Yup, still has the siemens relays and thanks for the link to replacements....will probably do that too since the reading I've done echoes your comment. Sidestand switch appears to be disconnected/removed; ignition switch is still possibility.

The intermittent nature of this is always a good mystery and this is my first time beyond replacing the battery that I've had reason to "look inside" this guzzi.

Brett

Pay particular attention to the output of the ignition switch. Use Carl's schematic for reference. The designers run too much power through the switch and it has a tendency to fail. You have enough years on the bike that no one would be surprised if it did fail.

The Jackal lives again!

Ground wire to engine block still looked brand new. This bike was purchased in Tigard, OR originally by an older gentleman who apparently did most of the changes from stock (updated filter, custom small rear sissy bar, changed out to aftermarket rear signals and tail light, pegs to platforms, forget the word but the black box to tune fuel, stretched the pipes to put them beyond the saddle bags he added, tank and side covers are flat black, tank has custom red Guzzi sticker to replace the stock decals, wind screen with a custom mount, and center stand removed).

I bought bike with 13,000 miles from guy who didn't put 2000 miles on it. He told me original owner rode it until he dumped it in front of his spouse who said "that's it" bye bye Motoguzzi. Bike had small dent in tank from that short trip to the ground but was otherwise in excellent shape.

End of this story- took ground bolt off anyway because I believed what Rafael suggested and sure enough, though clean as a whistle on the outside, some corrosion was visible on the ground stud. Cleaned it, used some dielectric grease and bolted it back- voila.......she's running good again. Thanks for the advice and I'm grateful for the forum.

Brett
'79 Yam SR500

Great. Its good that it turned out to be something cheap.

The dielectric grease works fine, but it's an insulator. I usually use anti-seize, which I'm guessing is conductive since it has metal in it. I've started using DeOxit on electrical terminals to improve conductivity and corrosion resistance.

Good news... the '00-01 Jackal is the best simplistic bike I think they (the old S.p.A.) every built. It seems it was their finest moments pre-Aprilia (then the hydra-lifter fiasco set in :S ). My '00 (built 9/99) will never leave my garage.

The Jackal has died again.....adult boys washed it for me and of course put some miles on it for me as well. Shortly after wash job it died on the street in front of the house.

Same as before, at the turn of ignition key nothing happens- no lights on dash, no fuel inject prime, no nothing.

Didn't realize the part about dielectric grease being an insulator; will clean it off again. Will also try the ignition to see if it's functioning. Already checked the kill switch and it was corroded a bit inside- I put dielectric grease on that too so I'll pull it apart again and clean it.

Brett
2001 California Jackal
1979 Yamaha SR500

Jackal has yet another life in it...........cleaned both the kill switch and the ignition switch. Little bit messy taking the ignition switch apart but both it and kill switch had some corrosion within. Bike fired up and running great- fixed it quite some time ago but hadn't made it back to forum.

Back