• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dry clutch, what to expect?

rodclement

Just got it firing!
Hello everyone,

Tomorrow I go meet and test ride my possible 2006 Griso 1100. The owner mentioned the dry clutch on the bike as if i should expect some sort of difference in the shifting on this bike over my Suzuki, and Harley? Flags went up in my head...
Should I expect something different or any noise levels from this clutch/bike? Or is the current owner trying to cover a possible issue? I may be just over-reacting to the whole thing but just wanted to ask here before i go up to meet the guy tomorrow, at least I will know what to expect.

Thanks in advance!
Rod

Sitting on the bike in neutral and not depressing the clutch you will hear a rattle. This is totally normal and you will hear similar on a Ducati. When you pull in the lever that noise will stop and basically the clutch will act like any other, you should feel smooth take up and nothing much to tell you it's a dry clutch.

Do not drag and slip this type of clutch of it will glaze up and squeal. This is a long lasting setup, I had a Griso 1100 and loved it.

Phil

vivo said:
Sitting on the bike in neutral and not depressing the clutch you will hear a rattle. This is totally normal and you will hear similar on a Ducati. When you pull in the lever that noise will stop and basically the clutch will act like any other, you should feel smooth take up and nothing much to tell you it's a dry clutch.

Do not drag and slip this type of clutch of it will glaze up and squeal. This is a long lasting setup, I had a Griso 1100 and loved it.

Phil

Phil is on the right track but not exactly clear. With the bike in neutral and the clutch lever pulled in (clutch disengaged) you will hear the noise. When the lever is released (clutch engaged) the noise will go away. The noise comes when the clutch is disengaged from the three plated moving around in the flywheel assembly. Once the pressure is back on the plates (clutch engaged) the noise will go away. He is also correct about not slipping the clutch. You still need to use some friction zone when starting off, but don't slip the clutch like you can with a wet clutch arrangement. The clutch works just like one in a car or truck (those are dry clutches also). Unfortunately most folk these days have driven only automatics.

Thanks to both! This is what I was hoping to hear! It seems like the seller is 100% on the up-and-up! Well, tomorrow night we shall seal the deal!

Thanks again guys! I'll post tomorrow if I buy the bike!

Rod

fotoguzzi said:
my clutch rattles with clutch lever released and in neutral, pull in and the rattle goes away.

That would be something in the gearbox. The plates can't be moving around to make noise with spring pressure on them.

Foot? What bike? If its one of the single plate V11's then it'll rattle with the lever 'out' and be quiet with it 'in'. The reverse of the twin plater. Just sayin' but I didn't think you gad a Griso?

Pete

With the engine running, step five feet from the bike, rattle, rattle. .. check
Now put both hands into pockets, sit on bike, take left hand out of pocket, squeeze lever in, rattle stops, check... now have a beer, the bike is fine, good job

Vivo

What Pete said jogged my memory. My first 2006 1100 Breva had the single plate clutch. My second one (after the first being totaled by an unlicensed and uninsured driver) has the two plate clutch. Guzzi's affinity to put in whatever is on the shelf just adds to the confusion. My comments were based on the two plate clutch as I believe most 2006 and later bikes have until the recent single plate versions on the 8 valve bikes.

Nah. John, all the pushrod engined bikes should of had the twin plater. The single plater requires a completely different gearbox and clutch that was introduced with the 8V.

Pete

Is there any particular reason why they need such stiff springs on that clutch?

It seems to me that for a 10 ft lb increase in torque nearly across the board, a 25% increase in spring pressure would suffice. Ive ridden 140+ hp bikes with wet clutches that are easier to pull.

What gives?

Wasn't there a recall to add a shim to the clutch to quit it down a little. It dind't do anything mechanically just for noise.

Also if you slip the clutch on your test drive don't worry about it the clutch won't glaze over. It only glazes when slipped a lot.

The only difference I notice in clutch is hydraulic operated (Griso) over a cable operated. The hydraulics typically engage late in the release of the clutch lever. While cable clutches can be adjusted to engage sooner.

Don't let the clutch geet to you. Get on and ride.

Back