• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Le Mans MKIII Jetting

Sevant1

Just got it firing!
Hi. I own an unmodified 1983 MkIII Le Mans (UK registered) and am overhauling the carbs (Dell'Orto PHF 36). I see that there's a big difference in the UK- and US-jetting that was used for this model: main jet 132 (USA 115) idle jet 60 (50 USA). Can anyone help with the following questions, please?

1. Why does the US-spec bike use smaller jets (for emissions maybe?)
2. What jetting actually gives the best performance for this bike?
3. Is the standard 265AB atomiser best for the bike, with the K18 needle on third notch?

Thanks in anticipation,

Craig

No!!! absolutely not!

The Mk III's use 'lean burn' carbs identifiable by the shroud around the atomiser orifice. If I'd been given $100 for every time I've fixed a Mk III that had been 'De-Rstricted' by a retard by fitting earlier jetting to combat the 'Enviro Nazis' I'd be sitting on a beach with a bevvy of Brazillian swimsuit models bringing me drinks with umbrellas in them.

The lean burn carbs, if set up right, will deliver much crisper performance than the earlier models. If your bike is stock I suggest leaving it that way. The Mk III is one of the very best bikes to EVER come out of Mandello. Most things done to them spoil them.

Pete

yes, the US had different emissions standards. In answer to your other questions;
Retain the standard UK jetting

if in doubt, Retain the standard UK jetting

Thanks very much for your advice, guys. I get the message: keep it standard!

Cheers,

Craig

It's best provided the bike is indeed standard i.e. standard exhaust and intake system. On this site there are other LM3 jetting threads you can search for to broaden your reading

Generally speaking unless there have been major changes to capacity or most relevantly the camming I find that mk III's need little in the way of alteration from stock. Even pod filters and open pipes rarely seem to neccessitate more than a minor increase in main jet size and maybe raising the needle a notch.

If the carbs are lean burns mains 115-118, atomiser AB268, needle K18 slide is I believe a /6, if it hesitates off idle remove half a mm from the bottom, not the cutaway, of the slide and that should fix it. I usually turn the pumps off or very close to off as they don't seem to do a lot in road riding conditions except increase fuel consumption.

pete

Thanks again for the tips guys. I'm going to keep it standard for now but I'll look up the jetting threads if I make any changes in the future. Nice tip also about the slide if the engine hesistates from idle, which I'll bear in mind.

Cheers,

Craig

OK, I'm getting down to the last bit of fettling! 1983 LeMans III with stock intake and exhaust. I am using stock jetting (with the exception of AB268 vs AB265 atomizers), and the accelerator pumps are disabled.

AB268 (manual says AB265)
K18 needle, 3rd notch
60/3 slide
118 main
50 idle

The bike runs very well, BUT, in the throttle "transition" phase, in the zone of 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, it doesn't pull with much authority -- noticeable in the 4000 to 5000 rpm zone. I NEVER whack the throttle open, always progressive. I improved things by moving the needle up, i.e. going from 2nd to 3rd notch. Should I go to the 4th notch, or look for AB265 atomizers? WFO works great!

Thanks for your input.
Chris

Update: I haven't changed anything, but it seems to be running better after a couple of rides. I think it was just a matter of getting used to it.

pete roper said:
If the carbs are lean burns mains 115-118, atomiser AB268, needle K18 slide is I believe a /6, if it hesitates off idle remove half a mm from the bottom, not the cutaway, of the slide and that should fix it.
pete

I have this problem on my LMIII with stock jetting. How do I do perform this procedure? Scribe a line, and then use a file?

How do I do perform this procedure? Scribe a line, and then use a file?

Yes - the number is the size of the cutout in mm. So the difference between a 5 and 6 is 1mm of material.

Chris R said:
How do I do perform this procedure? Scribe a line, and then use a file?

Yes - the number is the size of the cutout in mm. So the difference between a 5 and 6 is 1mm of material.

OK, just to clarify: if I remove 1mm from the bottom of my 60/3 slide then it becomes a 60/2?

nope !! It becomes a 50/3
the /3 or /2 or ...is the acc pumps ramp designation
the 60 is 6.0mm and so on therefore taking 1/2 a mm of the bottom makes it a 5.5mm or 55/3. try taking the .5 mm at a time as you can't add it back on!!
Have a detailed read through this and you should have a good grounding in these carbs, you'll still possibly have Q's esp about the lean burns but ...http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/dellorto.htm
Particularly http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/mg_manuals/dellorto_manual_a_guide_1.1.pdfwhich describes the function of various parts and hence tuning technique

try a search in tonti and loop section!

hope this helps as this stuff has been discussed many times ;)

Back