• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Arizona looking into Vapor Recovery System at pumps

Saw this in use in CA in 1999 and I thought it was a good idea. No sign of it here in Australia, though it doesn't look all that hard...

I guess we all (globally) will get it sooner or later

pokeyjoe said:
Its a real PITA on a motorcycle, Tony. You have to pull the collar back with one hand while you work the nozzle with the other.

There are many tools out there that hold the pump condom back for motorcycle use.

The last time I rode through CA I bought one off a guy on ADVrider and it worked well. On my last gas stop in CA I gifted the tool to a guy on a Harley who was having a hard time.

I think I paid something like $5.

Bisbonian said:
pokeyjoe said:
Its a real PITA on a motorcycle, Tony. You have to pull the collar back with one hand while you work the nozzle with the other.

There are many tools out there that hold the pump condom back for motorcycle use.

The last time I rode through CA I bought one off a guy on ADVrider and it worked well. On my last gas stop in CA I gifted the tool to a guy on a Harley who was having a hard time.

I think I paid something like $5.

I'm curious to know what this tool looks like. When I'm in the States, I fight with these goddamn condoms, and it's such a relief to go to areas where they're not required.

I imagine a tube that that sits in the gas tank opening that allows the pump nozzle to be inserted fully, so that the condom is forced backwards. But it would have to be transparent enough to be able to see how full the tank is getting. Enlighten me, please.

Do you really think that this feel good regulation has more effect then a speck of salt thrown into the ocean ?

draidt said:
Do you really think that this feel good regulation has more effect then a speck of salt thrown into the ocean ?
Yes.
It is not a regulation directed at motorcycles. It is mostly about cars and refueling them. It is just a side effect that refueling motorcycles becomes a pain in the ass.

kiwi dave said:
I'm curious to know what this tool looks like. When I'm in the States, I fight with these goddamn condoms, and it's such a relief to go to areas where they're not required.

I imagine a tube that that sits in the gas tank opening that allows the pump nozzle to be inserted fully, so that the condom is forced backwards. But it would have to be transparent enough to be able to see how full the tank is getting. Enlighten me, please.

I bought mine from this guy:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647816

As you can see, it is a very simple device about the size of a credit card.

Living in Eastern PA and working in NJ. And having just a few years ago moved from NJ.
I routinely fill up in NJ where the vapor recovery systems are required.
I have no issue with operating these pumps when filling up a motorcycle. (or gas can.)

The original type of vapor recovery system with the accordion style outer hose that needs to be pulled back is not a problem.
Simply pull the hose back with one hand while you trigger the pump nozzle with the other.
No different than working clutch lever, brake lever, and throttle simultaneously.
Plus there are vapor recovery systems that do not have the accordion style outer hose that needs to be pulled back.

What I do have an issue with is when there is a leak in the system and fuel dribbles out of the recovery hose and spills all over the outside of your tank.

If the vapor recovery helps the environment even a little; then ok.
Now if only NJ would do away with their stupid No Self Service law.

I'm in New Jersey and I fuel my bikes myself, no attendant will even think of touching a bike. I'm glad we don't have self service. why would we want it? It's not cool to smell like gas when you are going out for the evening, there is nothing attractive in pumping our own fuel. Don't think it will be cheaper either, because your dreaming if you do.

Oh but I fuel my BMW myself, or at least I remove the cap, put in the nozzle or watch the guy put the nozzle in and stand by the car until it's pumped and he removes the hose and I then put my own cap back on and pay. Too many scratches and dents happen when they fuel the car.

Phil

Bisbonian said:
kiwi dave said:

I can see the Mccuff working ok, although I don't understand why it would not prevent you from overfilling the tank.

But the advrider credit card model, doesn't it require you to insert the nozzle deep into the tank to operate the condom? Many tanks will not allow this as they sit over a frame member, and even if they do, it seems to me that you will only get half a tank full before the system shuts off.

I'm glad we don't have this technology in Kiwiland (yet!).

kiwi dave said:
Bisbonian said:
kiwi dave said:

I can see the Mccuff working ok, although I don't understand why it would not prevent you from overfilling the tank.

But the advrider credit card model, doesn't it require you to insert the nozzle deep into the tank to operate the condom? Many tanks will not allow this as they sit over a frame member, and even if they do, it seems to me that you will only get half a tank full before the system shuts off.

I'm glad we don't have this technology in Kiwiland (yet!).

I just slipped the card onto the end of the nozzle and then used it to push up on the condom until the groove appears where I can slot the card in. This keeps the condom up off the nozzle and allowed me to fill the tank in my normal fashion (which includes looking down the fill hole to see how much gas I'm putting in).

I found it to be a very easy process and the "tool" is small enough that it can fit just about anywhere, including a pocket.

I too have the card model, but would modify it's pointy edges if I were to do some, should I to offer up to the group here?

Dave, there is a sensing port (shown below) that auto shuts off the pump when full.

2003-10-24-nozzle-diagram.jpg

A recent article in the paper stated the vapor recovery pumps here in Ca will soon be removed.. It said that new cars vapor systems are so good and the cost of the special pumps is so great that it was determined that they could be eliminated....yaa..

Cage Free said:
A recent article in the paper stated the vapor recovery pumps here in Ca will soon be removed.. It said that new cars vapor systems are so good and the cost of the special pumps is so great that it was determined that they could be eliminated....yaa..
Do you have an online link/article to where you read this? I sure hope it's true.

pokeyjoe said:

We've had vapor recovery systems over here for decades. I remember the rubber collars being used back then,

GetImage.ashx

today you don't even notice as it's build into the nozzle.

Etanol_i_bensin003__285292l.jpg

Back