• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso to Norge Anyone?

Goodvibes

Cruisin' Guzzisti
With 20K exceptionally enjoyable miles on the 8V Griso, I'm thinking of what the Norge experience would be like from 8V Norge owners. Obviously I'm coming from desiring a machine that I can tour a bit with. Let me know what your experiences have been. Thanks.

I've now owned a Norge, Griso and Stelvio. The latter two are still in my garage. The Norge is a fine Sport Touring moto to the likes of BMW's RT. It is a well finished machine with great integration of everything you could want, but for me, you get locked into one riding position by the seat design and peg placement (much like the BMW)... which I personally have an issue with for long distance. My opinion would steer you towards a Stelvio. I think it's the best platform Guzzi has built to date. I LOVE mine... and with the new 8.6g fuel tank, I can't think of a finer machine to put big (s)miles on.

I THINK IT DEPENDS ON YOUR SIZE AND AGE. AT 5FT8IN AND 69 YEARS OLD MY NORGE IS JUST ABOUT RIGHT A STELVIO IS OUT OF THE QUESTION. I HAVE A 2012 NORGE THAT I BOUGHT THE END OF APRIL AND HAVE 10,000 MI ON IT. I HAVE FOUND IT VERY COMFORTABLE. I HAVE CHANGED THE FOOT PEGS. THAT'S MY 2CENTS.

fat albert said:
I THINK IT DEPENDS ON YOUR SIZE AND AGE. AT 5FT8IN AND 69 YEARS OLD MY NORGE IS JUST ABOUT RIGHT A STELVIO IS OUT OF THE QUESTION.
Fair enough.. I guess I'm still on the (fairly) young side of the Guzzi owner spectrum at a ripened age of 44 now. That said, the Stelvio can be lowered with a (much needed) shock replacement and slide the forks up in the triples or have them professionally lowered (and/or perhaps the seat and pegs), then it just comes down to looks. I'm a form over function guy these days, so the Stelvio gets a big nod. The Griso won me over as far back as it's prototype leak in '03. The Tenni LE is still a stunner.

fat albert said:
I THINK IT DEPENDS ON YOUR SIZE AND AGE. AT 5FT8IN AND 69 YEARS OLD MY NORGE IS JUST ABOUT RIGHT A STELVIO IS OUT OF THE QUESTION. I HAVE A 2012 NORGE THAT I BOUGHT THE END OF APRIL AND HAVE 10,000 MI ON IT. I HAVE FOUND IT VERY COMFORTABLE. I HAVE CHANGED THE FOOT PEGS. THAT'S MY 2CENTS.

Yup.

I have no Stelvio experience, and defer to Todd's call as he's been on 'em all and more. But do have a 8v Griso and an early Norge (and, oh, yes, an EV).

I recently said that if I could only keep one motorcycle, it would be my brother's 8v Norge because it does (almost) everything my present stable does in one machine.

Happily, I don't have to trim my harem, but the 8v Norge is a sweet beast.

Bill

P.S. Fat Albert, my, aren't you in the rider's briar patch? Crossville is a fine for all sorts of riding on most any motorcycle.

fat albert said:
Bill you are right but where you are is not bad either.

True ... if I really were there. :whistle:

Unfortunately, I am in Milan (Illinois, not Italy!) on a job 'til this summer.

Am back in "the real Northern Virginia" every month for several days, but my road and weather reality out here on the tundra is bleak. Actually, I have enjoyed the place, and found much to do, even on two wheels, but am excited about returning to Virginia and staying until it's toe-tag time. ;)

Bill

I loved my Griso but like the OP I wanted a bike with the Grisio's feel but that was more practical to tour on . I ordered the Stelvio NTX, complete with top box, heated grips and euro signals. I think I'm going to love it! I'm 5'9" but managed an Aprila Capinord just fine.

If you are short then swinging a leg over the side cases might not be easy? I just stood on a peg when I was lazy.

Phil

Hello;

I have had both a Griso and a Norge (4 and 8 valve) ... So the Griso was only 4 valve, but I have ridden the 8V. However, my thinking is not related to engine performance but to handling. I find that the Norge, with it slightly shorter wheel base handles a bit more "flickable" than the Griso. I have taken the Griso on longer trips and it was fine, the Norge, of course, is, for me, the perfect long distance tourer. Fortunately I have taken both on Identical 1700 mile trips around TX (through Big Bend Park) several times. This has given me a good basis for comparison of the two.

I always felt that in the twisties, I was working a bit harder in the corners, on the Griso than on the Norge. However the Griso (even the 2V) was comfortable and performed really well on the sweeps. The biggest difference for me, in the area or ride-ability, is the full faring on the Norge. At the end of each day, the wind and buffeting on the Griso was much more tiring than the Norge's cleaner ride.

just some thoughts. Hope it helps. And no, I don't like the Stelvio, I don't like the fully upright seating position of any of the multi-road bikes (BMW, Ducati, etc.)

sbaker said:
Hello;

I have had both a Griso and a Norge (4 and 8 valve) ... So the Griso was only 4 valve, but I have ridden the 8V. However, my thinking is not related to engine performance but to handling. I find that the Norge, with it slightly shorter wheel base handles a bit more "flickable" than the Griso. I have taken the Griso on longer trips and it was fine, the Norge, of course, is, for me, the perfect long distance tourer. Fortunately I have taken both on Identical 1700 mile trips around TX (through Big Bend Park) several times. This has given me a good basis for comparison of the two.

I always felt that in the twisties, I was working a bit harder in the corners, on the Griso than on the Norge. However the Griso (even the 2V) was comfortable and performed really well on the sweeps. The biggest difference for me, in the area or ride-ability, is the full faring on the Norge. At the end of each day, the wind and buffeting on the Griso was much more tiring than the Norge's cleaner ride.

just some thoughts. Hope it helps. And no, I don't like the Stelvio, I don't like the fully upright seating position of any of the multi-road bikes (BMW, Ducati, etc.)

EXACTLY!

Tho I have found that the right beverage at the end of the day made me forget the aches and pains and remember only the ride, tho perhaps with facts that weren't really there. :lol:

Bill

sbaker said:

Thanks for your helpful impressions. The fine Stelvio or any multi-purpose machine is not for me either.

So another question for the Norge crowd . . . . why Norge? Was it your love of MG, its 'soul', not overdone like a land yacht, exclusivity, all the above?

Goodvibes said:
So another question for the Norge crowd . . . . why Norge? Was it your love of MG, its 'soul', not overdone like a land yacht, exclusivity, all the above?

Why? Because I need a bike for touring 1 or 2 up comfortably for more then 600 miles a day. Living up north I also need the weather protection provided by the fairing. Even if there is no doubt the Griso is more sportier, the Norge can defend itself pretty well in the twisties - better than my former BMW K1200 RS anyway.
I rode test the Stelvio prior to the purchase of my Norge. A little more upright position and a little plus for leg room.
I had hard time to decide wich one to buy. Finally got the Norge since only the tips of my feet could touch the ground and most importantly, the wife was so much more comfortable on the Norge for touring.

Goodvibes said:

What Eric said. I'll add some of my own thoughts.

Don't have time to get original, but, as I just posted elsewhere something close to responsive on a related question, let me just repeat some of that.

IMO, neither my Ballabio nor Griso was/is as quick to turn in or as assured in the hardly straight challenges of the Appalachians and Driftless area as is my Norge. (And, yes, I am senstive to tire pressure, etc.) I might wish for a bit more umph, especially when hauling Kathi's "Polish Princess Survival Kit" ;), but otherwise, so fine. If I could have but one motorcycle, it would be an 8v Norge, but I am mighty happy with my Norge. Mighty.

Yeah, lots of room for beer- & butt-based bench-racing BS, all subjective, and we are, after all, so different in experiences, skill level, "physique" ::), and simply tastes, and our motorcycles often farkled so dissimilarly that all of this banter is good for all to see the spectrum of likes and dislikes but little else.

To me, the Norge -- or, more likely, I am -- happiest on rolling rural sweeper-to-whisk-broom-filled roads. Virginia's SR 42 is a great example. That sweet highway is a great parallel universe to I-81 and US 11, that runs essentially the length of the Shenandoah Valley from vic. Tazewell to Strasburg. Dean Rose introduced me to its charms some years ago, and I've been grateful to him ever since. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_State_Route_42

Twisties in a Stelvio Pass switchback sense? Nah, but really who likes switchbacks anyway? The Dragon? Hmmmmmmm. Squids and crowds aside, I really don't care for that sort of road that much either. Too tight to be fun for long stretches. But, on the Cherohala, alphabet roads of Wisconsin, and the likes of SR 42, where one dances with the motorcycle in a sensual way, I'll take the Norge, grazie.

This all comes from a guy who loved his Ballabio (and still does) and who grins every time he mounts his Griso. Devoid, it seems, of the normal complement of nerve endings in my derriere, I actually don't find the Griso's ergos, even on longer trips, to be a big deal. Besides, that's why God made beer, bourbon, and motrin for the end of the day. :D

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
To me, the Norge -- or, more likely, I am -- happiest on rolling rural sweeper-to-whisk-broom-filled roads. Virginia's SR 42 is a great example. That sweet highway is a great parallel universe to I-81 and US 11, that runs essentially the length of the Shenandoah Valley from vic. Tazewell to Strasburg. Dean Rose introduced me to its charms some years ago, and I've been grateful to him ever since. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_State_Route_42

Twisties in a Stelvio Pass switchback sense? Nah, but really who likes switchbacks anyway? The Dragon? Hmmmmmmm. Squids and crowds aside, I really don't care for that sort of road that much either. Too tight to be fun for long stretches. But, on the Cherohala, alphabet roads of Wisconsin, and the likes of SR 42, where one dances with the motorcycle in a sensual way, I'll take the Norge, grazie.
Damn Bill, your poetic prescription for joy has me all a quiver here. I'm getting nothing but 'goodvibes' about a Norge airship . . . . in Diamod White . . . on SR42!

Bill Hagan said:
Goodvibes said:

What Eric said. I'll add some of my own thoughts.

Don't have time to get original, but, as I just posted elsewhere something close to responsive on a related question, let me just repeat some of that.

IMO, neither my Ballabio nor Griso was/is as quick to turn in or as assured in the hardly straight challenges of the Appalachians and Driftless area as is my Norge. (And, yes, I am senstive to tire pressure, etc.) I might wish for a bit more umph, especially when hauling Kathi's "Polish Princess Survival Kit" ;), but otherwise, so fine. If I could have but one motorcycle, it would be an 8v Norge, but I am mighty happy with my Norge. Mighty.

Yeah, lots of room for beer- & butt-based bench-racing BS, all subjective, and we are, after all, so different in experiences, skill level, "physique" ::), and simply tastes, and our motorcycles often farkled so dissimilarly that all of this banter is good for all to see the spectrum of likes and dislikes but little else.

This all comes from a guy who loved his Ballabio (and still does) and who grins every time he mounts his Griso. Devoid, it seems, of the normal complement of nerve endings in my derriere, I actually don't find the Griso's ergos, even on longer trips, to be a big deal. Besides, that's why God made beer, bourbon, and motrin for the end of the day. :D

Bill

Bill , you are an eloquent writer , quite talented I'd say . You were kind enough to comment on my query about going from a Griso 8V to a V11 without calling me foolhardy . I've been pondering your comment and also called a dealer friend who has a V11 and he also said there was very little difference in the seating position of the two bikes .
I had an 08 Norge before the Griso 8V and liked the bike but found it a bit sluggish after riding a Triumph Sprint for 4 years . So , at the National in Oregon test rode the Griso 8V and couldn't believe the difference in power . I was hooked and had to have one , that simple . I guess I better take the new Stelvio for a spin and maybe the Norge 8V as well, although I will have better seat height on the Stelvio which has been the problem on the Griso and to some extent on the Norge as well . Great to have this site to rail on and get good feedback from members like yourself . Cheers, Steve

Back