• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 exhaust

vivo

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Ordered a 2013 Stelvio NTX. Are there any change to the exhaust other than finish color and the additional sensor? The real question is this... will a slip on from a 2010 fit on the 2013 and has the exhaust system changed in ways that make an earlier slip-on a poor choice? OK, another question: The 2013 NTX has darker, almost bronze colored pipes. Does anyone know anything about this coating, if in fact it is a coating, or is it simply a different grade of Stainless?

Vivo

I know it's a two piece pipe. Guessing it's an anodized coating on steel. Not stainless.

You would need to verify the part #'s, but there should be no issue between all of the years. You're going to love the NTX! Congrats!

Thanks Todd...

I have no doubt I'm going to love the Stelvio. The few mods I'm planning might be Motech pegs, slip on, gps mount, radar detector, oil cooler protector and I already ordered the top box, heated grips, euro signals and mirrors.

I will check part numbers. I am curious about the exhaust finish, it is unlike earlier years. It would be nice if it is an improved surface. It definitely doesn't look like my Griso headers did. The new finish seems almost brown.

Phil

Toadride...

I would be very surprised if it is not stainless but it does look anodized! If they are plain steel it would seriously degrade the bike.
Saw you on Adventure Rider.... I joined a week ago.

( JUST CONFIRMED IT IS STAINLESS)

Vivo

Interesting. A rough surfaced stainless with an anodized gold coating. :?:

Toad,,,

Can't tell ya what Guzzi did to the pipes, that was one of my questions... I checked out a friends bike for a very long while and the exhaust finish is just totally unlike what I've seen on earlier bikes, including my Griso. The Stainless steel confirmation came right from the specs on Moto Guzzi USA so I assume the exhaust is stainless as Guzzi says. Just about most everything high-end comes standard with stainless steel pipes today although I suppose some lower priced Japanese bikes may still come fitted with steel exhausts?

If the pipes are anodized then that might be good news as Guzzi's stainless seemed to spot on some bikes and the pipes did darken a lot. My Griso's were actually very nice as they aged, they darkened but I did not get spotted pipes like some people complain about.

It is possible the pipes are now powder-coated but I really have no idea? So if anyone knows chime in...Moto Guzzi USA says the exhaust system is new in one area of the site. In the specs section they say "Stainless Steel exhaust".

Vivo

There are grades of stainless, some actually rust but I think Guzzi will use a better grade. Be sure to wash the exhaust in cold water, not hot, after encountering salted roads or a coastal beach. And the pipes should be cool, not hot.

In the discussion of pipes you have peaked my interest too, Vivo. In Gig Gir's 18000 mile life her pipes have been hit with all manner of plant, animal and road matter and have stood up quite well. The headers have darkened somewhat but not a lot. And, like my old F800GS I like the aging process. It looks good. Unlike the Triumph's thinner walled stainless that turned an ugly dark blue. This, I was told ws on purpose to make them look the way the old Triumphs used to look. Go figure.
But, with the NTX's outer stippled surface I still wonder if that part is stainless and not just mild steel that might take the coating better and reduce cost, keeping the inner pipe stainless. I dunno. Just curious. Always so hard to get straight answers from MG. :)

Edit: Having a closer look I see that it is not a rough finish but rather more like a matte finish which I am sur e would adhere to a roughed up stainless pipe quite well. :oops:

I also believe they are a single wall thickness. I know some Japanese manufacturers use double wall or an exterior shield over the pipes so as to retain the bright finish, Guzzi doesn't do that on these bikes. What ya see is what it is, BIG a## pipe! I like that honesty.

Vivo

Just be careful about laying your jacket over the seat and letting the plastic zipper contact the outer shield on the muffler, when you stop for that "hundred mile hamburger". It fused 6 links together and ruined a perfectly good Olympia jacket! :cry:

Ride safe.

I wish somebody would cut one in half because the way they are pinched together at the head and y pipe connections my money's on two piece. ;)

I've cut a few apart, they are absolutely double walled (inner and outer tubing). I'll put my eye on a new one next chance I get. I suspect the new coating is an attempt at thwarting (the complaints of) the spotting, etc.

They are double walled stainless steel, shot peened on the outside and sent through a furnace, The bronze color is just the natural color of the stainless steel at the temp the oven was at, (it is just oxidized with heat). They are doing this so they do not get as splotchy looking as polished stainless pipes do. you will notice that they turn a darker blue/ purple at the rear bends where the o2 sensors are. (from heat concentration there)

Well, I got to say, I am impressed! I had thought the head pipes were single wall and often wondered how Guzzi managed to get them to flow so well as they always seems so large, now I know!

I think the new treatment in finish looks cool too. Hat's off to, my guess is the Aprilia Group or whomever it was that pushed to get this new finish! It shows considerable effort at improving the bikes, very nice...

Hurry bike hurry and please don't be built on a Friday! :blink:

Vivo

Hi all, I am satisfied stelvio NTX my11 owner, from Barcelona. I just decided to change the stock exhaust, zard is my decision. I thought, already bought it online, my08-my10 and my11 were the same, but then I read this on italian stelvio forum: (sorry italian, check translation) to summarize, "little intervention" to increase length of slip on insert... When I receive slip on will tell you more about it, in the meantime if someone can provide more info would be great.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Ciao a tutti, mi sembrava di aver letto non fosse possibile montare lo scarico Zard fatto per la MY09 (la mia vecchia) sulla MY11 ... Falso.
Con un piccolissimo intervento (vedi mail da Zard in calce) è possibile ed è valida la omologazione.
Solo per informazione agli eventuali interessati.
Ciaooooooo.

Buonasera Vittorio,
grazie per averci contattati.

Lo scarico di cui mi chiede informazioni può essere montato anche sul modello 2011 ma necessita di nostro intervento (molto semplice) per l’allargatura del tubo di innesto del silenziatore.
Si tratta di un’operazione veloce ma necessaria per poterlo adattare alla nuova versione.
In tale caso dovrebbe mandarci lo scarico e pagherebbe solo la spedizione di reso a lei…l’operazione la facciamo in omaggio.

Il certificato di omologazione è il medesimo.

I suspect the length of the connecting pipe could be different, I had inquired about a GPR slip on and the response was the earlier models were not correct for the 2013. The responder said the new units would be available in about 2 months. He sounded Italian so I may have been writing to the manufacturer of the Italian distributor?

That's what made me post my questions...

Hot muffler is NOT when done in carbonfiber. Too bad about the meltdown of a nice jacket....

Vivo

Fortunately, I was able to tell the dealer about manufactured year before the exhaust left Zard factory...

....not your main point, but you mentioned Motech pegs:......unsolicited.....allow me to say that the one-inch dropped Aluminum pegs from Todd,.....are pretty damn good....

Back