• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hi-heat coating

RaulNTX

Just got it firing!
hi all,
About a year ago I decided to paint header exhaust in black color, my trusted mechanic in that time said he had a paint specific for it. After a month the paint was gone, and now the exhaust looks like being from second world war.

I am considering to paint it once again, this time with the right paint. I found a couple ones which could be right for exhaust temperatures, this one is highest, 2000 F.

http://www.thermotec.com/products/12001 ... ating.html

But then I read about exhaust insulating wrap... May be good for summertime :)

http://www.thermotec.com/products/categ ... ating.html

Did someone try this before? I am only considering paint, but would you recommend wrapping? (despite the probable bad looking result) Other option is polishing pipes, most expensive one I guess with no results on heating...

Thanks

Hi Paul

I'm guessing you are in the US so cannot recommend a place but here in the UK there are places that will apply heat coatings specifically for exhaust systems and the like. I've had bikes done with it and it although it's a good deal more expensive than spraying the quality is superior and it lasts a long long time

Here is the place in the UK to give you an idea of what I'm referring to.

http://www.camcoat.u-net.com/Exhausts.htm

A lot of people hate exhaust wrap although I have used it without any detrimental effect, I wouldn't use it if I rode a lot in the rain. If you do go to wrap, then you can wrap from the rear forward to help the turns being in the right direction to help water run off and I'd never consider doing it without applying a waterproof coating onto the warp to help seal it.

Just my experiences

John

Thanks John! In fact I am set in Barcelona, spain... born here too. :D

I would have never considered wrap turns in case of rainy days... You are right, from back to front is better.

I drive all year long. I might get 4/5 heavy rains during the year... For now, only paint is in my mind, but willing to know wrapping effect, as you indicate... no change, no sense to apply.

Raul

RaulNTX said:
Thanks John! In fact I am set in Barcelona, spain... born here too. :D

Raul

Raul,

you ever ridden up around Ainsa in the Odessa National Park area, about 200 miles up from Barca. We spent 2 days in Barca last year on the way back from a weeks off roading in Ainsa - many trials and great roads - I was on aKTM 400 - there are some pictures on here somewhere.

Seen your reply on my wheel upgrade thread - that was done with the intention of going to Ainsa this year, around October time, on the Stevio and taking it on the trails .
Keep up posted on how you get on off road.

Hi I had mine done inside and out by camcoat over a year ago because the factory finish was so poor with a process called kermacrome they still look as good as the day I got them back highly recommend there are other benefits aside the good looks and durability as well.

Thanks, I'll maybe take a look at that, the company is local to me, but their web prices are a bit dated (2002 !)

Give them a call very helpful guy, they took a while to get them done, but worth the wait. The stelvio seemed to perform better and the exhaust run cooler. There was also some postage in the £150 so it may be cheaper and quicker if they are local to you, I think mine took a month mainly because I think they wait till they have enough for a batch . I did post some pics of finished pipes a while ago, cheers

Hi, I beleive painting the headers would do no good. I would think going to ceramic coating not only would enhance the look but would certainly helps reduce the temp. of the engine and ceramic coating is durable.

Back