• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso No Start

Indefatigable

Tuned and Synch'ed
2012 Griso SE. I had the bike since March and put about 3,800 trouble free miles on it so far. It has lived on a battery tender since I have had it. The bike has never sat for more than a week or two and gets a good ride every time I get on it.

Did a 150 mile loop ride yesterday and when I got home my wife’s car was blocking the garage so I shut off the Griso and went to move her car. When I tried to start the bike the lights came on and the dash light up but when I hit the started button, nothing. Stabbed the started button about a dozen times and it finally started.
Later on in the day, I wanted to wash all of the road salt off the bike and it did the same thing. Turn on the key, the lights and dash light up but when I hit the started button, nothing. Tried to start it about a half dozen times and then it starts.

I read about a fix to this problem by running a new wire directly from the battery to the starter relay. Will this fix my problem? I want to make sure this is the same issue as I read about before I go messing with it.
With the bike only being 10 months old should I try this fix or just bring it back to the dealer (100 mile trip).
Just want to make sure I don’t make matters worse. Thanks.

Aqueous baking soda solution on the leads and some toothbrushing makes it quick and easy. :cool:

Don't forget the ground strap behind the starter motor cover, has been known to be problematic.

I have the same fault with my 2009 SE, I can sit there for a good few mins before it will decide to start, then I won't have the problem for days even weeks then it starts again. I have never got to the bottom of it. Reading the manual it tells you that you need to pull in the clutch lever to start the bike, is this just for safety or should it work like this as my Griso starts fine with the clutch lever out.

eddie850 said:
I have the same fault with my 2009 SE, I can sit there for a good few mins before it will decide to start, then I won't have the problem for days even weeks then it starts again. I have never got to the bottom of it. Reading the manual it tells you that you need to pull in the clutch lever to start the bike, is this just for safety or should it work like this as my Griso starts fine with the clutch lever out.

There is a clutch safety switch that won't let the bike start with the clutch lever out and in gear. As long as it is in neutral the bike should start with clutch in or out. If it lets you start it in gear then there may be a problem with your switch or someone has already bypassed it. Worth checking out as this may be part of your problem. Also the side stand safety switch. Bike should not start with the side stand down and in gear. If the switch in on its way out, won't start up or down as they fail on the safe side (both clutch and side stand switch). These switches are know to fail at some point on all bikes. Some sooner than later.

eddie850 said:
Did you put after market levers on the bike ? I put Piazzio levers on mine and it will crank fine in gear with the lever pulled in if they are set for the last 2 outer most settings any setting further into the bar which I prefer then it is a no crank even with the lever pulled in and in gear. I suppose I can get it adjusted with some fiddling with the clutch lever micro switch were it would work but so far haven't bothered. I have conditioned my self to always start the bike in neutral.

When you were trying to start the bike, did you try turning the ignition switch off and on again, or just keep stabbing at the start button? Dirty contacts in the ign. sw. will cause this scenario, the only real cure is to rewire the start relay. See the no start thread.

Had a similar issue and found at the battery, the earth cable were the earth cable is crimped under the heat shrink, was loose... So cut off re crimped and new heat shrink.

Well I finally got back from a major round of traveling for work and got to spend some time working on the bike. I took off the seat and sure enough the positive terminal on the battery was a mess. I am really surprised how quickly the terminal got all messed up. I added a Powerlet Outlet not that long ago and I cleaned the terminals then when I installed the wires.

I cleaned the battery terminals and checked the connections at the starter and I’m still having intermittent starting issues.

Its either the starter relay issue or it may be the starter button not making a good contact. It seems if I keep pushing the starter button it will then fire up.

Anyone else have a starter button issue?

I am just going to order the Starter Relay Fix Kit from MPH Cycles but they are out of them right now. At least I will eliminate that as the cause.

I recently had the same problem, again, with my Breva 1100, which has the MPH kit installed. So far it has responded to me cleaning every battery and earth terminal, removing the starter switch and zapping it with CRC Contact Cleaner and disconnecting the tip-over switch (which I played with and found to be touchy and unpredictable). Which of these solved the problem I don't know. Apparently the bike shouldn't start with the tip-over switch disconnected, but it does. I'm off for a week travelling around the south-east coast and mountains, so that will be the test.

Back