• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 Norge 8V. Roller tappet engine.

That's good news. Months ago I was told by Streffords their "big tank" Stelvio demo bike had them ....which I guess also came out of the factory around March 2012. When I passed on that info it was dismissed as rumour/fantasy so I'm glad to learn the roller tappet engine does exist after all.

I think I posted in a Stelvio thread a couple of months ago that Haywards (Cambridge UK) had ordered some tappets in for an earlier model and were sent the roller version.

Yup, but the previous rumours were hearsay and second hand. This time the word came from Steve at Rider's Hill who is essentially an unimpeachable source. I'll try and get some more info from our importer tomorrow.

Pete

Hi Pete,

is the roller solution a better solution?
Will it be more reliable than before...
If so, which parts have to be replaced for changing to the roller version?
(I only will consider when my G12 is destroying its tappets and cams, till now he's nice and shiny)
I'll keep this topic with my favorites and will learn (again).

Ad B

Ad B said:
Hi Pete,

is the roller solution a better solution?

I imagine it'll be quieter which is why it was adopted.

Will it be more reliable than before...

I've never found the old system unreliable.

If so, which parts have to be replaced for changing to the roller version?

The camboxes and everything they contain and possibly the ECU

Pete

Thanks for the info Pete.

I have done a few '12 Stelvio ECU flashes, so I'll have a look at the mapping and try to verify with the owners. Appreciate if you would snap a few pics and post when you can so owners here can easily identify when the valve covers are off (is the hope). If folks are retro fitting, I can re-flash the ECU, or perhaps the dealers might have that option(?). Curious to hear how it might play out.

I'm still perplexed by this. I'm waiting on some pics from Steve but the pictures in the Cali 14 manual show very clear differences between the roller tappet camboxes and, obviously, the tappets themselves and the earlier flat tappet ones.

Steve says that the tops of the boxes where the followers protrude on the roller tappet Norge look the same as the flat tappet cambox. That would imply a third design!

Here are comparative pics of the 1400 camboxes and those off a flat tappet bike.

Roller cambox on 1400, (Pinched from the manual.)
RollerTappet8V 1
RollerTappet8V 2

Compare these with the flat tappet cam boxes.
RollerTappet8V 3

Mechanically speaking, does the new system imply lower upper rpm ceiling due to higher mass of parts? Are milder cam profiles needed for the rollers per se?

Thanks Pete for posting the pics on the TDC side. Just doing routine maint w/bike up on lift I really didn't pay much attention to the back side of rockers. Front side w/adj and valve is what I'm lookin for. Sent Todd a few of the up close shots on the other side, where tappet is up out of the hole. Checked mapping, same updated one as earlier 8V Norge. Now I'll have to check the other 8V Norges in stock for motor #'s and the Black Devils

Now you have a reason to buy a new one!!!

In spain information dealer to Madrid: There is not much information on the subject, but what little we can know is that models Griso this distribution is installed from the ZGULSG chassis, in the manufactured Norge from 16/12/2011 and the Stelvio from 01/11/2011.

..... I ear 1 new stelvio to roller sistem in Barcelone, de last novembre.

Looking at the cam box opening .... this will solve the lubrication issue that everyone was so hyped up about. :roll:
Is it the same 5AM ECU?

....most definitely the mapping will have to change!

If remapping isn't required ......
This would mean .... I assume they must have profiled the cam/rollers to the same specs as the tappets box setup .... openings and all.

If so ...... resulting in same perform.
This is what I call ....... complete Rocker Arm Support ... Plug and Play :D
Cool!

All I know is that roller tappet bikes are still using the same GRS8V-03 map.

Given the fact that we have been given no information, zip, zero, about the change, when it occurred, whether there is an any variance to the service schedule or anything we have no idea.

Pete

Back