• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2 possible issues with my new Stelvio

Stella

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have a new 2012 Stelvio NTX with about 650km's (400miles), I have noticed 2 things that may or may not be normal,I am new to Moto Guzzi so I'm not familiar with all the sounds they make.
First is a sound very much like detonation when accelerating hard through 4500-6000 rpm
I always use only brand name premium fuel as recommended.
The 2nd is a "groaning" sound from the clutch at engagement ,but only when it's cold.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as the closest dealer that could help is 8hrs away.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys,much appreciated ,looks like I don't have to worry about the clutch noise, but I'm disappointed that a brand new bike has detonation issues !!

Stella said:
I have a new 2012 Stelvio NTX with about 650km's (400miles), I have noticed 2 things that may or may not be normal,I am new to Moto Guzzi so I'm not familiar with all the sounds they make. First is a sound very much like detonation when accelerating hard through 4500-6000 rpm. I always use only brand name premium fuel as recommended.
Congrats and welcome to the Forum and Famiglia!
Every bike/motor is different across the board, regardless of manufacturer. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you are not. Clutch noise is common, only when cold.
If your bike has been set up properly (most aren't) at the dealer, most running issues will lessen. Euro3 emission regs run the 8V engines *very* lean... it is not the factory that chooses this.
That said, I have several solutions to resolve this, see both GT-Rx ECU and Power Commander threads in the >GT Performance Products< section. Contact me direct e-mail with any questions; Todd at GuzziTech.com

GT-Rx said:
Stella said:
I have a new 2012 Stelvio NTX with about 650km's (400miles), I have noticed 2 things that may or may not be normal,I am new to Moto Guzzi so I'm not familiar with all the sounds they make. First is a sound very much like detonation when accelerating hard through 4500-6000 rpm. I always use only brand name premium fuel as recommended.
Congrats and welcome to the Forum and Famiglia!
Every bike/motor is different across the board, regardless of manufacturer. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you are not. Clutch noise is common, only when cold.
If your bike has been set up properly (most aren't) at the dealer, most running issues will lessen. Euro3 emission regs run the 8V engines *very* lean... it is not the factory that chooses this.
That said, I have several solutions to resolve this, see both GT-Rx ECU and Power Commander threads in the >GT Performance Products< section. Contact me direct e-mail with any questions; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Thanks Todd
I have learned quite a bit so far and have much more to learn yet.
I will do some reading and hopefully get this detonation issue resolved,looks like you have a handle on this.
Thanks again, Rod :)

keep in mind your running a dry clutch and not wet disc system like those on kawi honda etc. where engine and trani oil are all in one. when you dump the clutch the engine should be warm and there should be enough torque to take full engagement of the clutch. The chatter you may here is from dragging the clutch at low rpm, something that is normal operation on wet clutch systems.
I don't know what the term you used means as far as engine noise - but your running heavier oil in your part of the country for this time of year. If factory oil is still in the engine run the bike hotter/harder for another 500km and see how it sounds. Run the engine between 4500-5000 in 5th @ 110 and forget about using 6th gear. This the sweet spot for the bike and you'll notice allot of change over the next 500km.
If your rding season last into the first 1500km when the first oil change is slated along with a valve seat adjustment ask your dealer to used a semi or full synthetic blend oil with a 5w/50 or 10w/50 grade rating. Ask to replace your oil filter with a Napa Gold or Donaldson. If you need numbers cross the Fram 6022 to the Napa. You'll notice a even greater change .

After seeing this thread I brought it up to the tech who just did my service and he is totally familiar with the clutch groan. Mine is pretty well always there but perhaps that is because I can't remember riding in warm temps, it's been cool and raining for so long now. For sure, she groans big time on takeoff right now but both me and my tech are of the same opinion that this big, single plate, car like clutch will prolly outlast the bike so I am living with the groan. Besides, a clutch removal/inspection is an engine drop job and something you just don't want to do unless totally necessary. :D

I was having the groaning sound too and the service guy said it seemed to be normal on the Stelvio. The bad news for me was that just shy of 6k miles one of the springs in the friction plate came out of it's slot and left me stranded. He also showed me where two of the other springs were wanting to get out of their slots too. He said that the replacement plate has been updated.

carl

korskov said:
I was having the groaning sound too and the service guy said it seemed to be normal on the Stelvio. The bad news for me was that just shy of 6k miles one of the springs in the friction plate came out of it's slot and left me stranded. He also showed me where two of the other springs were wanting to get out of their slots too. He said that the replacement plate has been updated.

carl

That is a new one. Never heard of such thing.

I thought the new motor and dual Ox sensors did away with the detonation issues and fueling was spot on? Thats one of the reasons I offed my 07 Norge..

sempervee said:
I thought the new motor and dual Ox sensors did away with the detonation issues and fueling was spot on? Thats one of the reasons I offed my 07 Norge..
Air/oil cooled motors are on the extinction list because of emissions regs. BMW just succumbed. The new fueling is decent, but saying spot-on with no other issues would be a huge leap.

I read this post with interest. I have a 1200 8V Sport and after only a very low mileage, the bike started making detonation/pinking type noises. Took it into the dealer who diagnosed that the exhaust outlet pipe that comes out of the exhaust collector box, prior to the end can, was loose causing a metallic rattle which only happened when under load. For all the world this sounded just like detonation. It was a manufacturing defect. The collector box was replaced under warranty, noise gone. Not sure to what degree the system on the Stelvio differs but it may be worth checking.

Back