• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ECU 54 Error Code

Gazdok

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My Breva just did not want to start at work after getting there without problems. It was a dry day.The red service triangle was showing on the display. I tried to start and it turned over and I could smell petrol. After I had flattened the battery I tried to bump start down a hill... no luck. So it was a ride home on a flat bed recovery lorry.
In the diagnostics Error Code 54 is marked as active. It does not disappear even after disconnecting the battery and erasing the error. ECU 54 indicates a "instrument panel error". The dash is illuminating as normal, all the dials are moving fine.

In a search I found this code discussed in the griso forum for a newer griso than mine. Mine is a 2005 Breva 1100. The hairdryer on the speedo cable has not worked. I disconnected the dashboard, but have not been under the tank. I think the speedo cable connects close to the CPU.
The local dealer - 35 miles away - wants the bike there for diagnostics. A bit of a problem with no trailer and a dead bike.

Any ideas?????

When you get the battery recharged try and start it and at the same time open the fuel filler cap do you see gas/petrol swirling down there assuming you have a sufficient amount of fuel to see it. If you do then the fuel hose has blown off the filter.

I had a ruptured fuel filter last year. I could not smell any fuel when the bike was cranking. Also I did not have a red warning triangle and Service on display.

The list of error codes that I have says that ECU erro code 54 is 'RPM Sensor error'.
If the ECU cannot detect that the motor is turning over, then it won't attempt to start.
The item in question I think is N0.49 on the circuit diagram marked as SENS VEL (Velocity [speed] Sensor) and has 3 wires coming out of it. They go to a 3-way connector and the colours are:
Sens Vel-------------ECU-------------Pin
Green ---------- Red/Black--------- 17
Grey/White-------- Grey/White-------- 24
Blue/Orange------- Blue/Green--------- Earth
My tuppence worth

Cheers
Brian :) :)

organfixsing said:
The list of error codes that I have says that ECU erro code 54 is 'RPM Sensor error'.
If the ECU cannot detect that the motor is turning over, then it won't attempt to start.
The item in question I think is N0.49 on the circuit diagram marked as SENS VEL (Velocity [speed] Sensor) and has 3 wires coming out of it. They go to a 3-way connector and the colours are:
Sens Vel-------------ECU-------------Pin
Green ---------- Red/Black--------- 17
Grey/White-------- Grey/White-------- 24
Blue/Orange------- Blue/Green--------- Earth
My tuppence worth

Cheers
Brian :) :)

Once again Guzzi is inconsistent in their documentation. Most manuals show 54 as a dash error, the 1200 Sport service manual does indeed show 54 as the RPM sensor. Now the question is, which source is correct. I just love all this bad documentation.

Thank you for the reply. I have to confess that I have not touched the bike since the problem started.
It got really cold here, we had building works going on and it it was holiday time.
So last weekend I thought I will charge the battery again and have a look.

NO MORE DASHBOARD ERRORS... !!!!!
The bike fired and ran as if nothing had ever happened.
I still do not like the idea that I broke down with the ECU 54 error and it could happen again.

Now I have 2 questions.
Where is this RPM sensor? If that was the problem and it cured itself I at least want to check but probably replace it.

Can I do anything about the instrument panel description?

The RPM sensor is also the cam sensor. It is at the left front of the engine, located just rearward of the timing chest near the top in line with the cam.

Sorry I have not had a look at the bike...still at work.
Do I have to take the tank off to get to it?

Gazdok said:
Sorry I have not had a look at the bike...still at work.
Do I have to take the tank off to get to it?

Probably. I don't see the information readily available in the service manual for the bike, but the values it should read are in the P8 injection manual. I'll put a copy here.

Attachments

• P8_injection_manual.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
No need to remove the airbox, which is good since it's such a pain to reinstall.

Remove left hand header, for easier access. It's sitting right behind the breather pipe, which you can disconnect to get better access to the sensor. This is the same method I use to get to the oil pressure sender which sits just inside the sensor.

But I wouldn't bother unless the error code reappears. More likely to be a intermittent bad connection to the sensor than the sensor itself that produced the error code.

I had the bike running on the weekend and cleaned it all ready to be used.... I also read the DTCs with Ducatidiag - P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit malfunction. But this was an old stored error.
This morning the red triangle and no firing was back. I deleted the error but it keeps coming back.
Is the RPM sensor mentioned before the same as the crankshaft position sensor and responsible for ECU Error 54?

I have called for quotes for the part......
£96 + VAT. Vauxhall sell a crankshaft sensor for £7.95, Mercedes for £20 - 50. It must be worth it.

Gazdok said:
Is the RPM sensor mentioned before the same as the crankshaft position sensor and responsible for ECU Error 54?

Yes, there is no sensor on the crankshaft, only the camshaft.

Gazdok said:
I have called for quotes for the part......
£96 + VAT. Vauxhall sell a crankshaft sensor for £7.95, Mercedes for £20 - 50. It must be worth it.

I'd check the connector under the tank for the sensor before ordering a replacement.

The sensor is the Crankshaft position sensor, also called RPM sensor or Phase sensor.
You have to get the tank off and I took a breather hose off too as the sensor is tucked in on the left habd side in front of the cylinder and the connector is just under the main cable trunking on the right side. I measured mine and there was no signal. I guess a wire had broken over time.

As I had the tank off I did my valve clearance too.
I noticed some light brown residue that seemed to contain drops of water sticking to the valve cover.....

Any idea what this is in a oil-air cooled engine? Surely it should not be water.

Gazdok said:
As I had the tank off I did my valve clearance too.
I noticed some light brown residue that seemed to contain drops of water sticking to the valve cover.....

Any idea what this is in a oil-air cooled engine? Surely it should not be water.

It is water from condensation. Pete refers to this as the mayonnaise that forms when run in humid conditions. The engine/oil isn't getting hot enough to vapor off the water.

Thanks John, I have not read about the Mayonnaise before but this is a good comparison.

Back