• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Michelin Pilot Road 3s

matson

Tuned and Synch'ed
Thought I'd share some pics of the griso with New Michelin Pilot Road 3s.
I hit a pothole last weekend :eek: and holed the rear (slow leak - got me home).
Close inspection showed cracks in the rear Metzeler Sportec M5 near the impact area and revealed the leaky crack (sounds wrong :oops: ).
No rim damage though - and it went in hard too @ 80kph :pinch: .
Weather has been so wet, 6 weeks+ of rain & showers, land slips, flooding etc.
Tyres were due for replacement after (9,150km), so bought some PR3s to try.
Just had them fitted and been riding (carefully ;) ) to run them in a little.
So far they seem great...

Pics taken with olympus epl3 w/ 9mm wide angle (primarily for underwater but fun above)

Attachments

• P3172436.jpg
    P3172436.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,220
  • P3172437.jpg
    P3172437.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,219
  • P3172438.jpg
    P3172438.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,219
  • P3172439.jpg
    P3172439.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,219
I've got the pilot 2's on my G11 and it handles better than the previous avons

I don't have any experience with Avons (have read +ve reviews on them though), glad to hear you like your pilot 2's.

The Pilot Road 3's have mainly good reviews from a broad range of punters across various conditions, riding styles, road / weather variables etc and apparently return reasonable mileage - hence my choice. :woohoo:

Have a set PR 3 's ready to go on my SE, Got about 1000 miles left on the Scorpions but wont wait that long.

Matson,
Had the same thing happen on 2 separate rear Metzler M5's i.e. split and leaking after hitting a sharp edged bump on my Griso. Replaced the second set with Metzler Z8's which have been excellent and seem to be a bit more robust on our shitty roads in Oz.
Can you PM me to discuss your situation as I raised this with the local Metzler people who seemed unconvinced that it might be a problem with the M5 rear on our lousy roads.

Mark

Got my rd 3's last year on Breva 1100 love them first curve you take you can tell the grips changes really great and real smooth..RED

Have about 2K miles on a set of PR3's and no issues. Entirely new design with all cross sipes to drain water more effectively. A good thing to run here in south Florida.

When I`ve got the best part of 10,000 miles out of another set of Dunlop Roadsmarts, I might give the Michelins a try. But to be honest, they`ll probably perish before I wear them out cos I`m not using it for commuting anymore. :D

6 months on - still happy with the PR3's. They've been great in the rain and seem to be a fantastic "all-rounder" from Hwy to back road twisties. :D Had the bike for just over 12 months now with 8000km out of the original Metzelers and nearly 9000km on the PR3's with plenty of tread left yet :cool:

A note on pilot road 3s, They have great grip feel good to the end (well pretty good the fronts tend to cup if you are aggressive with the trailing into the corners) and that can make the front feel a bit weavey the last 1/3 of the fronts life

THEY ARE NOT meant to be a high mileage tire!!! they are meant to be a better performing tire than the pr2 (and it aint hard to be better than that wagon wheel pos) They are to provide sport feel, in the rain, and better life and grip than say a qualifier, or pilot power

The rear is a lot like the Dunlop Q2 in that it goes from looking fine to through the cords in in 100mi (I really hate this trait, and am really careful with tires with a solid strip down the middle)

Do not Expect over 5,000mi on a set of road 3s, but do expect a fun time.

I have yet to run into anyone locally (and it is a very popular tire here as are Mich. generally) that has been able to get over 5kmi, the avg. is about 4,500mi

My results 3,800mi till cords on the rear in the middle and at the edges. The front was cupped it , and was to the wear bars.....by the way this was on a 650 v-strom

And no they were never run at an improper, pressure.

I don't know why some people cant get good mileage out of the PR2/3. I have had the pr2 and the pr3 on the Griso and both went over 5000. IMHO they are wonderful tires.

Not quite sure what you mean by wagon wheel POS, but I have been running pr2s for years. I commute mostly, and get 13k+ out of a rear tire, 15k+ out of the front. But on my days off, I scrape my kickstand and wear the sidewalls of my tires in the canyons with no grip issues at all.

Hi,
I also have a set PR3's on my G12.
Much, much better as the Metzeler tires before.
The Metzeler's only did 7000 km (4375 Mls).
My PR3's are allready 11.500 km (7150 Mls) on my G12 and not done yet. B)
The Metzelers slided too much. The Michelin's a lot less, nearly nothing.
They also feel very safe driving in the wet.

I'm now on my 3rd set of PR3s on the 1200 Sport, and have gotten the best mileage from them of any tire I've run, aside from a set of ME880s. I prefer the PR3s on the Sport.
1st set: 23000 - 35000 miles
2nd set: 35000 - 44000 miles
3rd set: 44000 - 45600 miles to date
The OEM tires that came on the Sport were junk (from a handling standpoint) within 3000 miles.

I've installed a set of PR3 on the Griso 8vSE at 6000 miles, and have put 600 miles on them to date.

It will be interesting to see if the tires wear differently on the Griso vs the 1200 Sport.

the way pr3s last a long time is the way a dl-650 gets 60mpg..........straight and slow in the flat lands... ;)

Been out a good few times over the last few weeks on wet, leaf residued B roads and to be frank, the P2s are fantastic. Confidence inspiring grip whatever, wasn't the same with the Storms. All things being equal the P3s should be even better.

Back