• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My "new" LeMans V

rocker59

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Look what I dragged home last week! Courtesy of Chuck in Indiana!

Show some love for the LM-V !!!

I've been wanting a Tonti LeMans since about 1983 when the LM-III was all the rage in the bike mags...

DSCN9307-M.jpg

This is one of the "1 of 17 in the USA" 1991 LeMans 1000s. Cool bike.

Now, tell me what I need to know about this beast! (And Tonti LeManses in general).

Congrats! If Chuck owned it, just enjoy it. He likely fixed everything there is to even remotely concern yourself with it.

Thanks Todd!

Now I have bookends. The last Tonti LeMans and the last V11 LeMans!

faceoff.jpg

The little LM-V is a sweet machine. Nice shifting tranny and very revvy engine. I can't wait to put it through its paces here in The Hills.

Wow what a beauty! I was going to mention the air pressure for the 16" front tire but it looks like MG dropped that feature in the model.

When this bike came out I thought " too much plastic" and now it's just right - relatively naked.

Congrats and enjoy

The last and best of the Tonti lemans series.

I'm a LM III person really but I can appreciate the other 4 marks in the line. I also agree with Todd. If its one of Chuck's then sit back and enjoy. Just normal checks on cardan joints and such that can't be predicted.

The 1000's are renowned for valve guide wear due to the weight of the valves compared to the 850's but with K-lining that is such a small issue that happens every decade or so.

You may want to modify the side stand too if it hasn't already been done. A number of options but I personally don't think a Cali side stand suits such a noble sport/tourer.

Enjoy.

Rod

Morizzi said:
You may want to modify the side stand too if it hasn't already been done. A number of options but I personally don't think a Cali side stand suits such a noble sport/tourer.

Enjoy.

Rod

It has a side stand? Actually I hardly ever use the side stand on mine. Pretty much just dismount and put it in on the center stand. Besides, on my Mk V I've touch the side stand on the track (apparently I didn't hang off far enough) and I wouldn't want anything larger down there.

john zibell said:
It has a side stand? Actually I hardly ever use the side stand on mine. Pretty much just dismount and put it in on the center stand. Besides, on my Mk V I've touch the side stand on the track (apparently I didn't hang off far enough) and I wouldn't want anything larger down there.

Horses for courses. ;)

I tour on my MK III. The large tank, my aging body and heavy gear means that after several hours in the saddle I can be a bit stiff. I like the bike to be able to support itself before I dsimount so the side stand needs to be secure and to be deployable from the saddle. I can then get myself off without having to do the one legged yoga style balancing act. I often have gear loaded up behind.

I've read lots and lots of times that riders don't use a sidestand and I could cope with that but not doing what I do with it. I have a friend with a LM I look alike and he has just installed a cali lower rail as he tours on his bike

It is not difficult to install a suitable stand or modify the OEM so that it works. If you choose not to then that is an individual preference. I have modified mine so that it works just fine. What I was trying to get across is that the OEM set up is poor, read dangerous but is easily overcome.

I'm not a racer but I cover a lot of distance in a year on real roads, in real life and in real conditions.

Rod

Thanks for the kind words. :D It'll have a great "keeper" in Mike. The LeMans *is* a remarkably competent touring bike. I was completely comfortable going to the Kentucky rally last fall. However... on local putts my old neck/shoulder pain would come back. The Scura doesn't cause that, so I found a Rosso Corsa to rehab. The Jury's still out on it, the weather has only let me put a couple of hundred miles on Rosie :cool: (first motorcycle to tell me her name) but I think it'll be a long term relationship.
001-14.jpg

LM-v-M.jpg

1st "official ride" on the LM-V yesterday at noontime. A little 30-mile loop to get a feel for the new bike.

I've always wondered what a Bassa/Special would feel like with a Sport 1100 engine installed. Yesterday's ride showed me! LOL! :D

There's no mistaking the LM-V is a 1970s bike in 1980s clothing. Definite vintage Itallian sporty bike vibe! I remember now why I got rid of the foam rubber grips that came stock on the Sport 1100. A set of ProGrip gel grips is in order, and I just happen to have a spare set on the shelf in the garage. I'd also forgotten about the Dellorto's near 1/2-turn throttle and stiff springs since going to Keihins on the Sport 1100. I won't do that on this bike, so I'll live with it.

I like narrow bikes. The one thing I really dislike about the V11 LeMans is the wide tank. The LM-V is like the Sport 1100 in that it feels narrow! I can tell you this, the fairing on the LM-V works! Smooth air and little noise, just like on the Sport 1100. Much quieter than the V11 LeMans.

The suspension is plush. I've heard people say these things rode like log wagons, but they must've been lightweights. I actually like a softer suspension because of the roads I ride. If the rider is smooth, the softer (I know this is a relative term) suspension can be rewarding on the twisty roads. I will need to crank the Konis up to the highest notch, though, for my near 250-lbs.

The bike pulls nicely, the tranny gears are nicely spaced, it idles smoothly at 1100rpm, and will accellerate quite briskly with a double-take on the long-pull throttle.

Well that's it for first impressions. Stay tuned for more.

Battery:

Question for those in the know, since I've yet to acquire an owners manual or service manual for this old beast:

What make/model was the original battery?

The battery installed by the dealer who sold it to Chuck will not hold a charge if the bikes sits more than a day, or two. I've had real good luck with Yuasa batteries, and was wondering what might be the appropriate model for the LM-V.

Anyone?

A set of ProGrip gel grips is in order, and I just happen to have a spare set on the shelf in the garage.

Hey,

I will probably get people to laugh but never heard of gel grip???? :shock:

Are they really making a difference? I know gel seats are great but grips....I also have an issue with vibrations (after 32 years riding and racing....) and the V7 Café and the eldorado love to vibrate.... is it really worth getting a set?

Thanks

The conventional lead acid Yuasa for the LMs III, which has the same battery tray as the LMs4, is model
# Y60-N24AL-B, but it must be discontinued. BatteryStuff.com has a MotoCross YIX30LBS which is a Yuassa equivalent battery. With a Valeo starter you can use any battery approved for any newer guzzi.

If your not set on Yuassa, I highly recommend the Odyssey dry cell battery. They are tough and can last 10 years. I've had no issues the the two I have. The PC925 is 5 years old and it works the same since day one, but this battery is way over capacity for my SP with a Valeo. The PC 545 is spec'd for the Quota so that one will work fine on the LMs4, it works flawlessly on the Quota.

Odyssey currently has the PC625 priced about the same as the YIX30LBS. The PC625 is $35 cheaper than the weaker PC525 - go figure. The PC 625 can handle both the Valeo and Bosch starters.

kinkajou said:
Hey,

I will probably get people to laugh but never heard of gel grip???? :shock:

Are they really making a difference? I know gel seats are great but grips....I also have an issue with vibrations (after 32 years riding and racing....) and the V7 Café and the eldorado love to vibrate.... is it really worth getting a set?

Thanks

They've been around at least since the 1990s. I've mainly been using the model 699 ProGrip. It's my favorite.

I do have a set of the model 714 currently on my Sport 1100. They're a little thicker and bulge slightly in the middle.

Yes, they absolutely work. I went to them in 1997 when I couldn't stand the factory foam grips on my then new Sport 1100.

Sure, I can still feel the vibration, but it's different and not as fatiguing with the ProGrips installed.

I've tried several different models and settled on the 699 and 714. I don't care for the dual density models. The 714 will require you to cut the end off with a razor, if you run bar end mirrors or weights.

Give 'em a try.

Rafael said:
Odyssey currently has the PC625 priced about the same as the YIX30LBS. The PC625 is $35 cheaper than the weaker PC525 - go figure. The PC 625 can handle both the Valeo and Bosch starters.

Thanks for the tips. I guess I need to order an Odyssey!

Still spewin!!!!
Wow , thats a really nice looking LmV youve got yourself there Rocker.
I've tracked down the one I lost , maybe it'll finish up here in my garage one day .
Best Regards Supaflee

i have to stop looking at posts like this.... ;) They ruin my day as all i want to do is scan the internet for similar bikes. Congratulations on a super looking and i am certain a great running bike.

Back