• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Best base for a Caferacer

vij

Just got it firing!
Hi all. I am Joakim. I am new here. I have been riding, tuning modifying Ducatis for a long time.

Now I am however starting to grow up and I want to build a nice caferacer. As we all know the coolest caferacers are Guzzis so I have some questions regarding the doner bike.

If I understand it correct the Guzzis that are interesting as a base are "tonti framed". The question are which bikes are tonti framed?

Le Mans, California, 1000SP are all Tontis or?

What are the differences except for the obvious between this bikes? If i look at Californias people are almost giving them away for free and I like cheap. Here are some examples. Prices are in "swiss dollars". One "Swiss dollar" is about 1.1 US dollar.

California

http://en.comparis.ch/motorrad/marktpla ... iii/389144
http://en.comparis.ch/motorrad/marktpla ... 0-c/325965

http://www.motorradhandel.ch/detail/det ... t=zofingen

Here is a SP1000

1000SP
http://www.motorradhandel.ch/detail/det ... &auswahl=2

Le Mans

http://www.motorradhandel.ch/detail/det ... &auswahl=2

So to my questions. Is it any difference at all between the frames on California, 1000SP and Le mans?

Engines? I like big. The bigger the better as I like a lot of torque. Later Californias are 1100cc and that sounds attractive but as they are cruisers I guess that they are tuned for low end grunt and might be a bit agricultury.

What is the difference to a Le Mans engine? Cams, valve size, port shape, compression? Can a California be upgraded to Le Mans status and if so what is needed? Just the heads and what will the gain be?

What about a 1000SP? Is it the same as a 1000cc Le Mans engine?

How about suspension? I guess that a Le Mans has the best suspension, what about the 1000SP suspension? Is it any good? Can the suspension parts be transferred to a California?

What about brakes? Are they the same? If not does Le Mans disks and calipers fit a california or a 1000SP?

To make it short, what should I look for? Here are the differences that I think is important with plus and minus.

California.

+ cheap, 1100cc, spoke wheels.
- suspension, "detuned engine"

1000SP

+cheapish
-1000cc, no spoke rims, suspension maybe?

Le Mans

+Suspension, brakes, higher tuned engine
- expensive, no spoke rims, 1000cc

Any inputs is good as I am all new to the Guzzi world.

Thanks in advance.

Jocke...........

Hi and welcome

Quick question : swiss dollars ?? I thought in swiss they use " swiss franc " ?

Anyway.... the first link of the california you posted for sale is NOT a california 3 but a cali 2 .
( it's a beauty the way it is and i won't use it to make a cafer ,just me )

....usually the "best" bikes to build a cafer are 850T or 1000SP because they are not "collectible" and they are "fairly cheap "
I would never use a V7 sport , 850 le mans or a California 850 or a cali2 , because i think they are good left originals.

I saw few nice caferacer using spine frame.... there is a section on this forum where you can see few cool pics.

You need to decide if you want a round engine or a square engine....

Warning : guzzis are not Ducatis.... don't drive yourself nuts trying to get performance and horse power out of these machines, you can build a quick and fun bike to ride....but don't chase performance..
If it's performance your looking for...use a V11 or a 1100 SPORT.

plenty of info here on this site.... !!
Good luck !
Marco

Tonti bikes are V7 (1972 and on ) le mans ( all years) 850 T,t3 T5 sp 1000 sp2 sp3 ecc...

That Le mans compared to a SP1000 is another animal , got more HP even though the engine is smaller in size.

That SP 1000 got 36 mm carbs ! original are 30mm )

Thanks for your reply. Yes they use franc in Switzerland. Dollars is just easier to spell :)

For the engine. Round engine looks better then a square engine on a caferacer I think. Which bikes has round engine?

I fully agree that to build a caferacer the base should be a "not collectible bike" as a base. Take a cheap thing that not so many people like and make it your own. Thats why I was thinking about the california is a good base as it looks like it is the cheapest bike in Switzerland meaning the least collectable. What is the difference between 1000SP engine and a california?

And dont worry about the performance. I see an older Guzzi like an old bevel Ducati. Not very powerfull or fast but with looks of charm. Some thing to love and ride, not to race.

Jocke.............

Buy yourself a copy of Guzziology, by Dave Richardson of Moto International. It has a wealth of information on all these models, and will help you make you decision and then provide the information on the particular model you decide to use.

I chose an 1100 Sport as a donor for this one because it has good brakes and suspension already and the best feature is the nice tank, they are getting a bit hard to find cheap now and I wouldn't want to do this to a mint one.

Attachments

• IMG-20130309-00063.jpg
    IMG-20130309-00063.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 1,054
vij said:
Thanks for your reply. Yes they use franc in Switzerland. Dollars is just easier to spell :)

For the engine. Round engine looks better then a square engine on a caferacer I think. Which bikes has round engine?

I fully agree that to build a caferacer the base should be a "not collectible bike" as a base. Take a cheap thing that not so many people like and make it your own. Thats why I was thinking about the california is a good base as it looks like it is the cheapest bike in Switzerland meaning the least collectable. What is the difference between 1000SP engine and a california?

And dont worry about the performance. I see an older Guzzi like an old bevel Ducati. Not very powerfull or fast but with looks of charm. Some thing to love and ride, not to race.

Jocke.............

Difference between the 1000sp and cali 3 are "visible" round cylinder vs square .
I believe the bore and stroke is the same 88mmx78mm
The square heads should have bigger valve , they use 36mm carbs.

HP should be 67 the cali , 61 the sp .
Top speed i think the cali is faster..
I am not an expert but the frame should be the same , the only difference i see is the neck area , but geometrically talking the should be the same ( not sure though )

I think the cali has a longer swing arm ( but again not 100% sure )

The cali is a nice solid bike/engine.... i don't see reason why , if it's cheap you should not get it .

follow your "heart" and you will be happy....what ever bike you end up buying , it's a GUZZI !! and that's all matter ! ;-)

Google is your friend , if you type on search image "moto guzzi cafe racer " you will be busy for a lot of time watching all those pics...

U tube too....

btw here is the book you should get . ( the link is just as a reference , shipping to Swiss would be a deal breaker )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUZZIOLOGY-The- ... 90&vxp=mtr

As Guzziology will reveal, there are at least 3 different swing arm lengths. T3, T4, Spada, are shortest, Spada II longer, 1100 Calilongest. As I recall.

You are located near a very good source of Guzzi knowledge ... and parts, Reboot Guzzi Spares in La Rhonde. The web site is http://www.rebootguzzispares.com/. My suggestion to you would be to call Pete Morcombe, the owner of Reboot, to ask your questions, get informed answers and possibly locate a good used bike for your cafe project, if not the spare parts you will ultimately need.

A field trip to Reboot would be very educational. If I was doing a cafe Guzzi I also would prefer a roundhead engine for aesthetics. Assuming you do not have unlimited time and money there are ways to save a little of both. My preference as a starting point would be a late '70s G5. This was the five speed version of the "convert", Guzzis automatic police style bike.
It has:
Short(ish) wheelbase Tonti frame
Wire Borrani wheels
Disk brakes
Simple electronics/ignition/carburation

By mixing in stock and aftermarket parts for more sporting Guzzis the basis for your cafe is there at a reasonable price. Now about that alloy tank...

guzziownr said:
A field trip to Reboot would be very educational. If I was doing a cafe Guzzi I also would prefer a roundhead engine for aesthetics. Assuming you do not have unlimited time and money there are ways to save a little of both. My preference as a starting point would be a late '70s G5. This was the five speed version of the "convert", Guzzis automatic police style bike.
It has:
Short(ish) wheelbase Tonti frame
Wire Borrani wheels
Disk brakes
Simple electronics/ignition/carburation

By mixing in stock and aftermarket parts for more sporting Guzzis the basis for your cafe is there at a reasonable price. Now about that alloy tank...

Okay now I have some thing to think about. G5 looks like a very good base but I have been looking around a bit at internet and it does not look like it is that many G5;s for sale. They are also a bit older (for me meaning that they might be to "old and nice looking" to modify).

I would prefer something that is widely available so I dont "screw up" a nice, original, in the future possibly collectable bike that deserve to be kept in original condition.

Hmmmm. I have to think a bit more I think. Still from were I am sitting (Switzerland) a California 3 (1100) carby looks to be the most sensible option both from a price point of view, looks of the engine and also from a performance. Now I have not been looking at them more then on photos so I could be wrong.

More thinking to do.

Jocke........

The absolute best Tonti to build from is a '02 California IMO; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/162/8583.html

The '00-01 Jackal is quite good too. Modern everything including fuel injection and light years better everything else. They should fall within reasonable price range if you can find one.

Best of luck on the adventure, and post your progress here.

Doug from Salem, MA built this beautiful café bike from a V1000 G5.

A short video during the build

After:
Picture212-1.jpg

Picture210.jpg

IMAG0419.jpg

Before:
Picture001.jpg

Back