• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva not starting

The_Happy_Drunk

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello,

The last time I posted a message, it was in regards to the Breva not starting. Since then the bike has been running smoothly, well, that was until last Friday. When I went to start the bike I got all the the normal sounds and lights you would expect when you turn the key but when I hit the starter the engine didn't turn over, all I got was the clicking sound from the relay.
This happened two weeks ago as well and I managed to get the bike started with the help with a jump from my car.
A friend of mine mentioned that this has happen to other Guzzi's before, and he had fixed his bike (V11) by replacing the relays with after market items.
Has anyone heard of the starter relay being a problem?
I have checked and cleaned the battery terminals and checked the voltage (only 10.5) though the battery charger was telling me it was charged and was in "Maintenance mode". I also swapped the relays around to see if I could isolate the problem to a relay with no joy. I'm letting it charge again after cleaning the terminals

On more thing, the manual I have doesn't tell me which relay is which, could someone shed some light? I did work out which one was the starter, I felt it clicking.

Cheers
Leon

10.5 volts way too low. What kind of charger are you using. Some if left on too long will cook the battery. Should be using a float type battery charger to keep battery up over long periods. Low voltage causes higher amperage which will burn out the contacts in relays and on the starter. If the bike started with a jump it would seem that your battery may be the problem. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply,

It seems it may of been bad contacts on the battery and the earth to the engine. Cleaned these three areas and put it on charge again. The next time I tried to start the motor it fired up without any hassles. The engine earth had a light film of oily substance and the terminal contacts were just dirty.

The charger is one that supplies an initial charge and then switches over to maintenance mode to keep topping the battery. Sorry forget the brand name. it's designed for regular use.

Cheers
Leon.

I had the exact same problem on my Breva 1100. Every so often without rhyme or reason, I would get the bike out to go for a ride and nothing. Key in, turn on all lights up and seems fine. Press starter button - click, nothing. Wasn't the relay on mine was the battery terminals. I would disconnect cables. clean - re-connect and the bike would fire up. This of course meant had to re-set everything on the dash. Tried a number of obvious terminal greases and such and eventually - I stopped having the problem. My V7 Classic has not had the same issue.

Another little quirk I discovered which might be of interest or helpful to someone one day was the |(don't know proper name for it?) 'anti tilt sensor' on the 1100 - not sure if 750 Breva/V7 has the same (must look)? I went to start the Breva 1100 one day and nothing. Terminals again I thought, but no made no difference. I had a search on the internet and discovered that the Breva 1100 has a little unit in with the relays under the seat (looks like it is a relay too) which has (I think) a little ball bearing inside and if bike falls over ball bearing comes loose and the engine cuts out. I had managed to activate this the previous night when I washed the bike. After washing my bikes I always lean them over, both sides to try and dislodge any water lying in crevices I can't get too. I doubt I leant the bike over far enough to activate it - I wouldn't have been able to hold it up so easily I'm sure, BUT must have activated the sensor if I jerked it back up. Only ever happened the once. I think, was some time ago, to sort out I shook the ball bearing unit (?) and left it for a while and the bike started no problem.

Dave

The 750 Breva tilt sensor is the cubic shaped relay right in the center of the pic below.
If you ever need to know.

2483292972_527287e1f6.jpg

Back