• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Intermittent starting fault.

Smoothym

Just got it firing!
Hi
I've had issues with my 2008 Stelvio for at least 2 years on and off.
The problem occurs when starter button is pressed. sometimes nothing happens, just a relay click from the front R/H Auxiliary Fusebox.
I had gone through many possible fixes including adding a new relay in the circuit as the feed current to starter seemed to be the issue - Cured!

Then the problem occurred again this time i gave the Auxiliary Fusebox a wiggle and - start up straight away. This became more regular until I decided to strip it out and see what can be found - assuming a broken wire or bad contact.

The Auxiliary Fuse box is now accessible but have now got another issue. As nothing is obvious I intend to pull out each spade connector and re-crimp each terminal.
My problem is I cannot remove the spade connectors from the Auxiliary Fuse Box base. I am assuming they have retaining tabs to hold them in but cannot get them out ( the yellow base has been unclipped and slid away from the block).

Does anybody have any suggestions.
Regards
Mike

Do a load test on the battery just to make sure it's not that. The source of a given symptom sometimes changes over time.

The spade wire terminal in the connector is a latch type spade. Before taking everything apart you'd might try spraying DeOxit on the terminals. It should make a difference if the crimping is the source of the problem.

Have the latch spade terminals on hand before starting, they're not so easy to find. The regular spade won't stay in the block. To get the spade out you'll need a special tool, I made one from a flat bobby pin. Just slightly bend about 1/8" of the tip. Insert the bent part toward the latch to dislodge it then pull the wire out.

Search for the threads on GT to find more info on the subject. I ended up rewiring the power source to the relay for the solenoid. Haven't had a nonstart since.

As Dan linked to, it may be the so called 'starter interuptus'.
They pass the starter solenoid current through a fuse, then to the ignition switch, then through a second fuse, then to a relay contact, then off to the solenoid. The relay does not get good power from the battery, but rather it gets weak power from the ignition switch. No idea why they do this.
What often happens is that the 30 or more amps needed to initially pull the solenoid can't make it through all of that stuff. In particular, the ignition switch contacts get weak and corroded, and can't pass the current.
I would pull the fuses and relays and spray the contacts with a contact enhancer, like Caig Deoxit.
Load test the battery and clean the terminals, plus clean the main fuses contacts near the battery.
Look into disassembling the ignition switch and cleaning those contacts.
On the Norge and Breva, a number of owners have run a wire to feed the starter relay directly from the battery instead of the ignition switch and cured the problem. Not sure what it would take to do that on a Stelvio.

Thanks
The bent pin idea works well with the lugged connectors.

Battery is fine, new one last year, all voltages are healthy.

With regard the voltage issue, I have been aware of this in the past which is why i used the original starter solenoid feed as the switch line for a new battery to starter solenoid relay.

I will clean up the contacts and see what happens.

Thanks

A little relay trick I used with the V11... Tweek/twist the relay spade terminals slightly (about 5 degrees) and reinsert into the plug. Worked for me... alongside the road... far from home.

Back