• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Real world rear suspension travel.

marcus_b

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all,

Has anyone measured the actual rear suspension travel on there Griso. The manual says its 110mm but I can only get 75mm actual travel out of the back wheel before the shock is hard up against the rubber bump stop. Could be my measuring is bad... :oops:

Just curious to see if fitting a smaller bump stop might help smooth out the rear end without sacrificing the protection of the shock.

Do you know for a fact that you are bottoming out the shock? If this is the case, removing the bumpstop is the last thing you'd want to do; instead a stiffer spring may be necessary. Where is the the preload adjuster in relation to the length of the thread it rotates on, and has a suspension setup been done on the bike?

If the suspension has not been set-up starting with proper sag measurements, then there is a good chance there is a LOT of improvement to be had from the stock components, plus it'll provide information as to whether the spring rates are adequate for your riding weight...

My 2009 Griso had about right forks spring rate and definitely too soft a spring on the shock absorber for my riding weight of 230lbs and my riding style. With good setup, however, it was definitely acceptable, adequate, and, for the most part, enjoyable.

In any case, removing or thinning out the bump stop -- I think -- is not a good idea. Perhaps someone else can chime in with a different opinion.

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed reply, I've no problem with my suspension set-up, posts on here were very helpful with this... so I don't want to start another suspension set-up thread.

Just curious to see if anyone else has actually checked the rear travel on the bike as there seems to be only ~75mm travel (vs the manuals 110mm)... useful to know if you like to set sag as a percentage of the travel (25-30%)

I'm measuring the full range of travel on the rear whilst it is in the garage, from the rear wheel off the ground, through to the spring wound fully down and the suspension fully compressed into the dump stop via a strap...taking care not to compress it too much though as I know the bump stop is there for a good reason!

The bump stop will reduce the stroke of the rear shock...Guzzi probably just quotes the theoretical travel (calculated using the full stroke length of the shock) instead of the actual stroke length due to the bump stop... This could be the norm... I've never actually bothered to check before!

Just out of interest, what are your compression and rebound settings on the rear? I'm tinkering with the suspension on a 2010 Griso that I bought recently. The biggest improvement was to drop the forks through the yoke down to the 'sport' setting - when I bought the bike the front was set with only 2 rings showing and I couldn't understand why the front end felt so bad. I had to tiptoe around roundabouts and through sharp corners, but with the forks dropped a bit the handling is transformed.

I still don't think I've got the compression and rebound set to best effect though. I ride on a lot of bumpy back roads and I'm trying to find the best compromise for comfort and keeping the wheels in contact with the road.

Hi, I'm an italian Griso Friend and sorry for not good english ! :oops:

The problem for the rear suspension of Griso is not the travel measure, but the spring very poor.The rear suspension can not absorb on rubber stop! This is also compressing the spring to the maximum...

This problem can be fix changing spring and hydraulic for the rear suspension or changing directly rear suspension witn a new model
type MUPO GT , MUPO AB1 ecc.. :evil:

guido1100 said:
Hi, I'm an italian Griso Friend and sorry for not good english !

Thanks for your post.

Expensive suspension mods seems to be a a universal language...
http://www.motoracingshop.com/product_i ... anguage=en

This looks nice but I am looking for a spring only.

(1) Has anyone replaced the stock spring with something a little more robust?

(2) Does anyone know the spring rate of the stocker?

For amazing Italian suspension bits, see; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... ay-16.html

Dave, I have a loose Griso shock, so I'll do some calcs in the morning and post. Downside is that just the spring likely won't do it. The Griso is valved a little on the firm side, both front and rear. Depending on the spring (installed), it may or may not help much. Right now, I have a KE + HYD Matris shock in stock for a rider ~225 lbs with gear for the Griso, and I also have one 'S' fork spring kit in stock.

Makarushka has his 'R' listed on the Classifieds too I believe.

@guzziownr yes i do it !

I have change spring and hydraulic parts of the original rearsuspension with a progressive spring and hydraulic ohlins , for 350 Euro.

However , if you change spring of rear suspension you need to upgrade the hydraulic system , because work properly.. :)

(K rate for the stocker is very low because is set for 75kg)

This is my rear suspension the modify is made by http://www.oramsospensioni.it/

Attachments

• 20111226_101214.jpg
    20111226_101214.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 344
Back