• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

LIMITED PRODUCTION CARBON FIBER WHEELS

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
I've abandoned the CNC CARC wheel option, and venturing onto this avenue. Perhaps a rare few folks will be interested in these, but I am taking pre-orders (only) on sets of the 7-spoke carbon fiber wheels in glossy or matte finish as shown below. Pricing is US$4350/set + shipping. They will of course be bolt-on/set up for all CARC Guzzi.
Contact me direct e-mail for details; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Attachments

• CFGloss.jpg
    CFGloss.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 14,895
  • CFMatte.jpg
    CFMatte.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 14,897
Wow, those are gorgeous (and spendy!)

Kinda like putting a string bikini on a fat girl though, isn't it? :p

Porterhouse said:
Wow, those are gorgeous (and spendy!) Kinda like putting a string bikini on a fat girl though, isn't it? :p
Heh, perhaps... some know of the benefit, and mine are going on my project below, so no, not really. :whistle:

6440_134073107696_474574_n.jpg

Thanks Todd for making this happen! I have pestered BST and you both for the last 2 years.

Dropping a ton of weight off the Griso's wheels will really improve side to side transitions and suspension performance! Can't wait to get mine!

Remember rotation weight reduction is a huge improvement because of the 3x factor causing by the spinning. So dropping 7lbs off feels like dropping 21lbs

I sure do wish i could afford to spring for a set of these!!!!

can be mounted on a Moto Guzzi Breva 850, and if you how much they cost?
thanks

Dragged Bella outa da shed a few weeks ago, modified Griso shock still not as good as it should be.
Fiddled with damping and preload, very minor adjustments and still end up with unsatisfactory compromise. This was all compared to a "Dunga" CBR600, 16 years old and 113,000km basically stock but with a good shock and sorted forks.

The Honda's ride quality was superb, compliant over our rough roads but very composed in the corners. Much easier to ride, quicker turn in etc. I know its apples and oranges but I'd like a light weight Guzzi ................. silk purse out of a sow's ear!
I love the string bikini analogy above.

So Scott, my suspension guy says I need a top of the range Ohlins/Penske etc .......................
Just prepared the budget for a big hit to get the Matris R with high and low speed compression etc to control the massive unsprung weight of the swingarm & rear wheel.

Now I happened to mention to Scott, the availability of carbon wheels; "BUY!". He says "BUY!".
Bugger, knew I shouldn't have paid my tax bill.

Bella is worth 12k here
Wheels will cost 4k landed in Oz (more taxes)
I could buy the "Dunga" for 3k instead, ....................... but I just love my Guzzi.

:? :cry: :( :dry: :blush:

Todd - email sent.

Got your email Todd and returned serve,
My first shot of electrons are still MIA, did you get the second shot?

Todd,
Any idea of the weight of these wheels.
Also in the future will you be able to supply individual wheels if required.
Mark

The 7 spoke (Black Mamba) wheels including bearings and spacers are;
Front 2.49kg & Rear 2.71kg
Av tyre weights, front 9.5lb, rear 14.75lb

Rear Marchesini forged magnesium on my Ducati Hypermotard 1100S was 2.35kg with one spoke missing.

Cali Stone wheels complete with discs and tyres, front 17kg & rear 21kg just for comparison.

Now it does say limited production run, which to me means there will be no regular production runs with parts sitting on the shelf. However, if a wheel was damaged beyond repair, a replacement could be made, but time and cost would not be in your favour.

Mark111 said:
Todd,
Any idea of the weight of these wheels.
Also in the future will you be able to supply individual wheels if required.
Mark
I would say also that carbon wheels aren't like magnesium bendy wheels, so you will probably bend your front forks or headtube before deforming the rims.

Check out Black Mamba 7 spoke specs
http://www.blackstonetek.com/wheel_gallery.html

Pickys
http://www.blackstonetek.com/aboutGallery.html

Bellagio rear spoke wheel with used tyre and disc = 14.60kg
Less rear Avon tyre approx 6.75kg = 7.85kg
Less rear disc approx 1.0kg = 6.85kg for standard wheel
BST should weigh less than 2.75kg = weight saving of 4.10kg min for the rear wheel.

Will weigh my front wheel when I find the 14mm allen key.
Any Griso advocates want to do the same?

Just returned from my mates place, he has an RS250 (RZ485) with BST carbon wheels.
They were off the bike, pick one up then pick up a stock wheel. The mind boggles at the difference. Then pick up 6 sprocket or disc bolts (steel) in one hand and the same but titanium in the other, like lead and feathers. He also has CMC discs on order.

Man I'm thinking, how can I put such heavy components on those lovely wheels.

My concern is about longevity/repair/parts

I imagine the lighter wheels on my bike would make a world of difference. I know the brake disks and bolts are heavy too, but still.

My concern is that wheels get bent and damaged. Carbon fiber is MUCH stronger than aluminum, but tends to shatter with impact where aluminum just gives. On a racetrack, with smooth pavement, if there is impact sufficient to damage a wheel, the wheel is probably the last thing you are concerned about. On the road however, potholes are a serious problem. On more than one occasion, i am amazed that my rims were not damaged. Also, the retards at cycle gear aren't great at changing tires, but they are my only close option for mount and balance.

I'd need to know that I could have it repaired or replaced QUICKLY and COST EFFECTIVELY.

I'd also need it to look near stock. None of that flashy CF looking business. It would have to be painted so as not to look aftermarket, and I am concerned about the durability of paint versus the factory powder coat.

So what exactly are the weight savings, what are the options for future spare parts, wait times etc, and what are the finish options, if any?

All that being said, I was keeping up with a guy on an SV650 through the snake with my girlfriend on the back seat with the stock wheels just fine...

The advantages of a carbon rim like the BST's versus a light weight Magnesium wheel or crazy track weight aluminum forged wheels is they are much stronger. They will hold up to pot holes much better than stock rims even. Repairs will be replacement as you can't heat up a carbon rim and form it back like aluminum (which is then weaker).

Cycle gear can mess up any mounting of any wheel, the challenge of a Carbon rim is they are not slick like aluminum rim so the person changing the tire must use a lot of tire lube.

Carbon rims will hold up with the UV coating, I guess you could paint over them if you wanted to hide it???? and worse yet add a bunch of weight :whistle: ....

This is an extreme upgrade for people who will accept that their suspension might need to be adjusted because of the drop in weight and responsiveness.. In my opinion the order of upgrades should go (weight cutting, suspension adjustment to deal with weight cutting, fueling, and finally adding performance via pipes/intake/cams/etc.)

If you want to get a good idea on the difference cheaper, buy some Pilot Pure's (Drops 2 lbs off the bikes tires) and see what you think... if you don't think it's worth it you just saved yourself money.

My take on all those questions are as follows;

If you manage to break a carbon fibre wheel, on a pot hole or in an accident, or whatever,
the broken wheel will be the least of your problems.

I have seen mag wheels of all descriptions collapse so badly from pot holes, that the shattered rim has jammed against the back of the brake calipers, causing the bike to flip end for end - totalled. Riders have escaped in the back of a meat wagon.

I have seen race bikes flip so badly they tore themselves apart, stock wheels were cactus too.
In both these scenarios with carbon wheels, there may not have been an accident or at least the carbon wheels may have survived.

If I damage a carbon wheel, I will still have my stock wheels to fall back on.
If I can't adjust to black wheels, I will paint mine silver to replicate alloy spoke wheels (you don't powder coat carbon fibre). The paint finish will be as durable as any other painted wheel on the market. Carbon can also be easily "touched up" with another clear coat.

As for the future, I just think of the past. Guzzi wheels have been heavy since Adam was a boy.
Anybody wanting Astrolite wheels for their early Le Mans knows - No Longer Available and if you find a set be prepared for prices in the gold bullion range.

People may think it ludicrious to put Carbon Wheels on a Bellagio, but after 40 odd bikes I know I'll be happy with this girl for a long time to come. Any future upgrades would be in the likes of a Griso or Norge, in which case the jewellery would adorn my new girl.

Finally weighed my 18" spoked front wheel with used tyre, bearings and discs. 14.60kg (rear is also 14.60kg)
Estimated weight w/o tyre and discs is 6.7kg, BST is 2.57kg
Ducati ST4S 17" 5 spoke cast wheel with new tyre, bearings and discs. 12.20kg

Just the two brembo discs alone weigh 3.60kg so CMC discs will also make a huge difference.

Back