• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hello I'm new here...got my first Guzzi

Instg8r

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hey everybody

Just wanted to introduce myself.

I recently got my Motorcycle licence (M2 up here in Canada) and I bought at Moto Guzzi V7 Stone for my first cycle.

I had to order it and yesterday the dealer told me it had arrived.. So I'm going to pick it up on Wednesday.

I'm so excited about the bike and riding, I've wanted to ride since a young age but never could. Firstly because of my parents when I was young, then after reaching adulthood circumstance didn't allow it til now....so there you go...lol

Matt

you've come to the right place. You can learn a lot by just reading through old posts, and everyone here is happy to lend advice when asked.

Some of it will even be GOOD advice. ;)

Matt, congrats and welcome to the Famiglia and the Forum.
Look forward to seeing more posts from you here soon then.

I'd certainly ask what the dealer is doing for your PDI and set up to insure you get a properly running bike from day one. Since you're paying for it, they should be happy to tell you. If you feel as though they are pulling it out of the box and sending you on your way, I'd try to negotiate a free first service or similar deal. Best of luck, and we'll be looking for your next post.

GT-Rx said:
Matt, congrats and welcome to the Famiglia and the Forum.
Look forward to seeing more posts from you here soon then.

I'd certainly ask what the dealer is doing for your PDI and set up to insure you get a properly running bike from day one. Since you're paying for it, they should be happy to tell you. If you feel as though they are pulling it out of the box and sending you on your way, I'd try to negotiate a free first service or similar deal. Best of luck, and we'll be looking for your next post.

Thanks Todd. What specifically should I be looking for when comes to PDI and set up? Also, what is the proper break in procedure? I know there are different opinions on this...with cars there isn't much of one as mass production engines are built by robots....

I went for the black Stone. In the future after I've gotten a little seat time I will be looking to do some things like, Mistral pipes, fender eliminator, solo seat, handlebars(maybe), and mirrors (definitely).

Instg8r said:
Thanks Todd. What specifically should I be looking for when comes to PDI and set up? Also, what is the proper break in procedure? I know there are different opinions on this...with cars there isn't much of one as mass production engines are built by robots....
All good shops will check valve lash clearances, check for updated mapping... and as silly as this sounds, check the oil level and top off. Most shops don't bother it seems. The small blocks are notorious for using oil from their minimal 1.6 qt. capacity, so keep an eye on it.
Good break in is about heat cycling the engine. Ride it. Get it hot, let it cool and repeat a few times. Use the entire rev range in the lower gears, and don't baby it or hold it at steady throttle for any extended period of time. MotoMan's break in procedures (Google it) will give you evidence of a good hard break in. After a tank-full of fuel, I'd ride it like it's ready to go, following the service intervals.

Welcome to the Guzzi famiglia Matt.
What a great choice for your first bike!

Thanks guys, I figure that after some seat time I hope to acquire a big block guzzi. For now I will certainly enjoy my v7 :cool:

And thanks for the advice Todd. I will make sure that they have it prep'd.

Matt

Also, is there a version number for the latest software update, if so whatis it? so that when I ask about the pdi I can make sure they update it.

Thanks again

Matt

GT-Rx said:
Instg8r said:
All good shops will check valve lash clearances, check for updated mapping... and as silly as this sounds, check the oil level and top off. Most shops don't bother it seems. The small blocks are notorious for using oil from their minimal 1.6 qt. capacity, so keep an eye on it.
Good break in is about heat cycling the engine. Ride it. Get it hot, let it cool and repeat a few times. Use the entire rev range in the lower gears, and don't baby it or hold it at steady throttle for any extended period of time. MotoMan's break in procedures (Google it) will give you evidence of a good hard break in. After a tank-full of fuel, I'd ride it like it's ready to go, following the service intervals.

I have a slightly differing opinion on just a few of these points.

Valve Clearances - Do we REALLY think the factory doesn't set the valve clearance before shipping? It's NOT on the factory pre-delivery inspection list and I'm not sure how many of the "good shops" would bother to check that for the 600 miles before the first service anyway.

Notorious for using oil - tis true the V7 (dual TB motors) have such a reputation. BUT, interestingly enough Guzzi is claiming that some of the engine revisions they have made should address that problem. I didn't read that report until AFTER I discovered that my new Stone was NOT burning a drop of oil (I was religiously checking after every ride for the first 800 miles or so). I spoke with a few other new V7 owners on WildGuzzi after that and it seems that they are sharing my experience. That's not to say one shouldn't still check and be aware, but I'm optimistic that the trend may be stopping with the new bikes.

I do agree it is possible to too gently break-in a motor, though I don't break them in like I stole them either. I suspect I'm close to your philosphy, but just a hair more conservative.

Instg8r - Interestingly enough, I sold 2 big-block Guzzis to make room for my V7 - no regrets (and I've no plans for a new big-block anytime in the near future either).

Welcome Matt.
Many many years ago I saw in "The Motorcycle" magazine a nifty idea for running in.

I can't remember the full details but this fellow put a mark on his throttle and a mark on the fixed part of the handlebar and didn't exceed that amount of throttle for a (unremembered) length of time. He went through a few of these marks on the throttle as the mileage increased.

The basic thought was to not put too heavy a load on the motor during running in, allowing progressively bigger throttle openings as the motor was running-in.

This does not mean to say that you run at a fixed throttle setting but that you limit the throttle amount giving due respect to the condition of the motor.

Hope this makes sense,

Cheers
Brian :D :cheer:

Top Man ,enjoy that m/c and keep learning .

Thanks guys. I can't wait to ride and start learning and gaining experience. I really wanted a big block, but I thought it would be smarter to learn on a smaller nimble lower powered m/c.

I really like the v7 it looks so small at the dealer next to others. I can't wait to ride it.

I am going to make sure the valves are checked, I do know that they put in new oil as the v7 was shipped from MG with shipping oil in it. So I'm just waiting to hear about the valves and mapping.

Thanks all, I wil post a pic when I get it.

:p Enjoy the ride mate :cool:
But dont get sucked too into the tech issues that some people go on about, bottom line is it's a new bike and with a well proven motor, just keep her serviced and enjoy B)

cliffyg said:
:p Enjoy the ride mate :cool:
But dont get sucked too into the tech issues that some people go on about, bottom line is it's a new bike and with a well proven motor, just keep her serviced and enjoy B)

Thanks :D I love the V7, even though with all this crappy weather I've only been able to log 130 km's.

I live in Ontario but I've been working in Alberta for the past year, so I couldn't wait anymore and bought the bike here. Next week looks good for riding. I can't wait

Back