• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge Top Case lock

captshortfield

Tuned and Synch'ed
I recently purchased a "new" Norge top case from a guy who received it from Moto Guzzi as a peace offering to make up for some techinical issues his Norge was having. He never installed it and sold his Norge (for shame!) but now the top case is mine and I am not sure if that's a good or bad thing from all that I have read and heard about the way this case mounts to the tail bracket (new and old style). Here's the question.........does anyone have a lock assembly for the top case that they don't know what to do with? This case came to me without the lock cylinder assembly which I thought was odd. Apparently, some new Norge's come to the dealer with a third lock and key which fits into the top case (if the new Nprge happens to have a top case shipped with the bike).
My dealer says that some new Norges come with them and some don't and he hasn't quite figured that out yet (he's only been a Guzzi dealer since the mid '70s). If what he said is true, perhaps one of you new Norge owners out there might have received this "spare" lock cylinder assembly with your new Norge but have no use for it if you don't have a top case. If that is the case I would be pleased to exchange some of my very limited income for it I can be reached at rthompson@ne.rr.com or 603-352-4619.
If you see me on the highways of America don't follow too closely! I understand that these Norge Top Cases have a habit of jumping off the tail bracket when least expected. Thanks ;)

All I have is the lock cylinder, is that all you need ? It would have to be rekeyed to fit your key, A lock smith might be able to do it.

Sorry, I don't have an extra lock cylinder as I have the factory top case and I'm using the lock for it. When you find a lock, make sure you figure out a way to bolt the top case to the mount, because if you don't that nice top case will sooner or later fly off the mount and smash onto the pavement. Guess how I know that? The latch mechanism that holds the top case to the mount is a terrible design.

captshortfield wrote:
It's certainly worth a shot......do you have a price in mind for the lock cylinder? rthompson@ne.rr.com

Send me what you think it is worth and if you cant use it I ll take it back and refund your money?

I have a PayPal account no payment required until you get it, one Norge owner to another.

Drait, you are a gentleman and a scholar and your generosity toward a fellow Guzziast is refreshing. If you would send me your email address I will forward my shipping address to you and I will also be able to make a contribution to your Paypal account. Once it arrives I will contact a lock smith. Hopefully a key blank will not be a problem. Then there is the question as to how it is installed but I am certain I can figure that out. I have already made a few modifications to the top case and mount (new style) but I will put an extra removable retaining device in the event this thing decides to leave. I have a 10K trip planned for late April starting in New England heading south then south west to San Diego then north along the coast to the top of California then gradually working back in a north easterly direction. This will be my fourth trip across this beautiful country of ours and each time I am amazed at the grandeur of it all and the great folks I meet along the way. Your contribution to this event is much appreciated.:p

My Norge came with three lock cylinders, two for the panniers (which I didn't buy) and one for the top box (which I didn't buy either). Ask your dealer if he still has the remaining lock cylinder already set up to fit your ignition key.

As the bikes are set-up pre-sale, we put the spare lock cyl under the seat, in a plastic bag.
(All US Norge come with sidebags. )
The bag locks are available as a set of 3 locks, with a key.
Individual locks are not available.
I will be interested to here if a locksmith can chage the tumblers to match your key.

Does someone know who actually makes the luggage? Givi/Kappa?

I believe all their hard luggage has easily replaceable lock cylinders so you can change them to have just one key (panniers + top box).
If the lock cylinder is the "standard" one they should be available from any Givi/Kappa dealer.

My new top case is now locked and secure......thanks for all the comments and suggestions and special thanks to Draidt who took the time to send me a spare cylinder he had so I could adapt it to my top case which I did. In the event anyone else gets themselves in this situation and it will happen as long as Moto Guzzi sells these top cases to their Guzzists some time after the delivery of the new Norge as these cases, when sold aftermarket, do not come with a lock cylinder but your Norge should have been equiped with a spare when it was delivered to you which mine was not.
A long story short, I was unsuccessful in getting a replacement cylinder from my dealer and was told that they are only available is a set of three anyhow. I was able to take the lock cylinder that I received from Draidt and make simple modifications to it to enable it to work with my key. If anyone would like any information on this modification just ask and I will be happy to fill you in. Again, thank you all for your suggestions and special kudos to Draidt.
I should also note that the fit of the case to the (new style) bracket was sloppy and I was concerned about rattles or loosing it all together. I placed four rubber "inserts" between the case and the mount which fit quite conveniently into recesses provided by the casting process of the plastic mount cover. I shaped these to fit snugly and be just thick enough to require the case to be slightly conpressed when put on the mount. Now it is rock solid and I don't think that there is much chance of the case coming off. I hope:blink:

Another Norge rider in Keene, NH, Randy Teft, has a red 2007 Norge with the first rendition top case. He has over 30,000 miles on it and so far has not had a problem with the box falling off. He too added the rubber pieces to take up the slop and it seems to have done the trick. Good luck with the box. Doesn't surprise me that AJ couldn't come up with a lock cylinder, he doesn't push the Guzzi as much as the BMW's.

Just got a new top case for my 2014 norge and there doesnt appear to be a lid seal , is this normal? my side cases have seals...why no rubber seal between lid and box..does anyone with this box have same?

I just received the top case for my 2015 - no seal. The lid actually rattles a bit; would love to know if that's normal. Also, can't recall how to get the saddlebags off the bike - the shop showed me once, then work sent me on a two-month trip and I can't get em off. (Duhhh)

I just received the top case for my 2015 - no seal. The lid actually rattles a bit; would love to know if that's normal. Also, can't recall how to get the saddlebags off the bike - the shop showed me once, then work sent me on a two-month trip and I can't get em off. (Duhhh)

Push the key, and turn counter clockwise to remove case. Turn clockwise to open case.

Perhaps it's vice-versa in the northern hemisphere.

Dont forget the small spring clip on the inside front of each case, it just clips over a nub but you cant slide the case off unless its flipped off the nub.

I have a B11 with top case. It rattled terribly when I got it. My fix was a small piece of inner tube at the front of the mounting platform where the tongue on the box grabs onto the groove of the platform. This makes it nice and tight at the mounting points - no more rattling and it's been 8 years.

cheers

Robert

I just brought my 2007 Norge home for the first time last night. Great to have it here but I have one issue with it.
I opened the top case and now can`t figure out how to lock it. There is a latch above the key and I know it has to be held forward, but can`t get the key to lock it.
I need to get it locked tonight as I`m heading out on it in the morning.
Thanks

Back