• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Weird Vibration/Rattle Noise Driving Me Crazy!

AutoGrok

Just got it firing!
Hey guys,

I've done a fair bit of searching in prior posts and I've found a few that are similar but not exactly like what is happening with my Griso so I thought I would give it a shot.

Almost since I got the bike 10k miles ago, I've had an issue with a loud vibration/rattle noise coming in above 5k on the revs after the bike has warmed up. It almost sounds like two pieces of metal that aren't fully mated to one another, and then when the revs are brought past a certain point they vibrate and make a loud sustained vibration buzz. Most of the time this noise is as loud as or a bit louder than regular engine noise, I can even hear it through earplugs.

It sounds like this noise comes from the exhaust, specifically the exhaust guard area. After quadruple checking every single bolt and nut for proper tightness, I briefly revved the engine in place and started testing areas with a screwdriver. At first, it seemed the exhaust guard was the problem. So, took it off and went riding. That wasn't it, the noise stayed but seemed ever so slightly less loud. I don't think it's coming from the silencer or the silencer mounts. Two trips to the dealership (3 hours away) and I get an apology and "Guzzis just make lots of noises". Well, I know that, and I love that about em, but this is clearly an abnormal noise compared to the rest of the clicking and clicking and whirring and what not.

Any thoughts friends?

Try holding the headlight bucket while riding but be careful. Post if that's it.

Vivo

Just a possibility...
My Jackal exhaust header vibrates at certain rpm, mostly on closed throttle, and touches the engine mount bolt, making a noise much like yours...with the motor off, the space between them seems adequate......

so...it could be some part of the exhaust that is just very close to another part...try a thin wooden wedge anywhere that the exhaust is close to another part, and see if it goes away...

Vivo - I was able to make a quick test tonight, it is definitely not the headlight bucket. Good idea though, I actually had that problem with my SV650.

SgtCrump - I'll start fiddling about with it again tomorrow and see what might be touching. Thanks.

Check that the side wing panels beside the tank are fully secured.
Also an issue I had was that one of the horns was too close to the side panel (got displaced when I was doing some work) and vibrated at certain revs hitting the side panel with a resultant vibration noise.

Mark

Had the same kind of issue on my new NTX. Turned out to be the left side hand guard vibrating against the clutch system master cylinder at around 4k rpm. Drove me nuts until I located it. A piece of old inner tube inserted over the top of MC took care of the problem. I have seen posts here and on Wildguzzi where others with Griso and Stelvio bikes have had similar events. Not all were in the same areas. Keep looking, you will run it down eventually.

I have had a rattle nearly everywhere there is to have a rattle.

Places to check:

Key cover on gas cap
Kickstand (put some pressure on it with your foot)
merge collector cover (same thing)

Also, have a look under your bike and make sure the exhaust hangar bracket on the midpipe is not cracked anywhere, and be thurough. Anywhere there is a weld, there is a likely crack if the weld has a blackish/grayish color.

Check that the muffler is tightened to the midpipe securely. I had this vibrate as well. IF you are careful, you can do this with your foot as well., while riding.
-Clam

My stock 07 Griso had a nasty rattle for the last year and a half. Tightened and loosened and then tightened every nut and bolt in sight!!!
Early this winter I was stripping down the rear end to grease up the swinging arm bearings and while putting the muffler down in the corner I heard a RATTLE!!! Picked the damn thing up and gave it a shake,,,RATTLE,,,RATTLE,,RATTLE!!!!

Had a look in the intake end with a flashlight and low and behold, the CAT was loose and turned sideways. Seems the CAT is just pressed in and mine shook loose!

I managed to tamp it back into place and put a few small nuts and bolts through to fix it into place(permanently I hope.

Peter

Here's a problem that I've had. The gauze/mesh in the side wing panels came loose. They're plastic welded in an became loose, buzzing like a hornets nest. A little high density foam strategically placed and some 2part epoxy glue and presto! No more buzzing. :D

commando tod said:
Here's a problem that I've had. The gauze/mesh in the side wing panels came loose. They're plastic welded in an became loose, buzzing like a hornets nest. A little high density foam strategically placed and some 2part epoxy glue and presto! No more buzzing. :D

I had this same experience. I would also direct you to look here.

To rattle or not to rattle.

Bloody hard to diagnos (Never could spell, so how about "work out") .Does it happen when you're in the 2700- 3000 rev range under load, or at a stand still in the driveway?.

As an example After a 100,000 k's The rotors rattle like you wouldn't believe (noticable if you're travelling slow on bumpy roads), but the brakes are clearly miles ahead of anything I've owned

Also I've had the experience of "pinging" at 3700rpm in the early days .

Rattle after rattle, but I must ask how can you hear them when your motoring?

(To quote my old man, " you can always turn the radio up to make the rattles go away ... yeah yeah I know ......So get an I Pod)

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I hope this can be a great checklist for anyone in the future searching for mysterious rattles. I ended up taking the side panels off, riding, and still having the issue. That covers them being secured enough, the mesh panel looseness and the horn issue that was mentioned.

Spaceclam - My kickstand actually was loose but not the problem (so thanks!), the key cover was good, and I'm afraid to tighten the merge collector cover down anymore.

Tonym - As far as when it happens, it consistently comes about after the engine is warmed up, and I'm anywhere above 5500 RPM in most gears. I say most because I can't hear it at highway speeds, but I don't know if that's because I can't hear it or it has actually stopped making the noise. I'll keep plugging away and figure it out eventually :D

probably a loose muffler internal baffle.Only buzzes when the muffler heats up due to expansion. Get it hot,stop the engine and tap the muffler with a soft faced mallet or a normal hammer via a piece of wood placed against some portion of the muffler that wont cause damage. See if the baffles are loose.
Ciao

Back