• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

On the road again.

lomax

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Having picked this up a couple of weeks ago it was time to get semi serious yesterday. A BADLY needed fluid change on all boxes, Valve adjustment, painting the frame, and tidying up several things, it is back on the road and doing fine. :woohoo: I still have several things to do on it but at least it is up and running. I was thinking of repainting it but the old chipped and faded patina is starting to grow on me. I gotta clean the white molding agent off the sides of the tires. :whistle:

My serious question is what is the proper riding garb for a 72 Eldo? My old faded red stich jacket, my Bellstaff waxed cotton jacket, or do I need to drag the old Brando style leathers out of the back closet. :lol:

DSC02225_zps4e21de29.jpg

Marc

Beauty Marc, congrats.. and thanks for posting the pic. Enjoy it.

I wouldn't touch that finish, for sure.

Riding gear can range from period clothing and suspenders up to a Belstaff jacket, sure. Have fun with it, and be sure to post more pics.

Be sure to check the DOT date on your tires. If they were made more than 5 or 6 years ago, replace them. They should have a 4 digit code. The first two are the week of manufacture, the second two are the year. If only a 3 digit code, they were made before 2000. If you have the 3 digit code, replace ASAP.

Thanks John,

I do always keep an eye on those types of things. The tires are new and installed just a month ago, and had not been sitting on the shelf long before that. :D

The bike may get my old standby Avon roadriders in the future but these are fine for now working all the bugs out of it.

Marc

lomax said:
Thanks John,

I do always keep an eye on those types of things. The tires are new and installed just a month ago, and had not been sitting on the shelf long before that. :D

The bike may get my old standby Avon roadriders in the future but these are fine for now working all the bugs out of it.

Marc

From the picture with the white having "run" down to the black it gives the appearance of having some age on them. Glad to hear they are new.

Hopefully she hasn't sat much. If if she has hopefully the cylinders have been replaced not long ago. If original chrome bores, they are a ticking time bomb.

BTW, When I had my Eldo she seemed to behave best with the old K70 Dunlops on her. If I put modern tires on her the handling was skiddish.

Got my first Eldo in '72....the hot ticket then for serious road riding was the Belstaff/Barbour jackets, and an International Orange, open face Bell, with a matching Visor-Vu.....unfortunately the Visor-Vu went away, and no one has made them.....I'd wear one now, if I could find one...

john zibell said:
BTW, When I had my Eldo she seemed to behave best with the old K70 Dunlops on her. If I put modern tires on her the handling was skiddish.

John
I want to replace the Spitfires I have on my 74 Eldorado and I have been looking at the K70s but I can't seem to find both front and rear tires. What size K70s did you use? Looks like the K81 is the only choice for the rear, but I was hoping to stay with the same pattern as the front.
John D.

I do have a early WWII leather flight helmet. :twisted: Nah, not enough protection for me. :mrgreen:

Marc

JayDeeca said:
john zibell said:

John
I want to replace the Spitfires I have on my 74 Eldorado and I have been looking at the K70s but I can't seem to find both front and rear tires. What size K70s did you use? Looks like the K81 is the only choice for the rear, but I was hoping to stay with the same pattern as the front.
John D.

K70 can be used on both the front and back. They are not directional tires, no arrow on them for rotation. 400 x 18 on works on both the front and rear. http://www.bikebandit.com/dunlop-k70-vi ... cycle-tire Be sure to use a quality tube.

They are not directional tires, no arrow on them for rotation. 400 x 18 on works on both the front and rear.

Thanks John, why do most shops list and sell them as an option for only the front? Marketing ploy to push a customer to a more expensive rear?
JD

JayDeeca said:
Thanks John, why do most shops list and sell them as an option for only the front? Marketing ploy to push a customer to a more expensive rear?
JD

They probably just don't know any better. Just us old guys that used them in the day are that familiar with them. I had a set on my BSA Victor in 1973.

Back