• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

unhappy new owner

goldy

Just got it firing!
Hi I've had my 2013 Stelvio ntx for nearly 1 week now & I've already fallen out of love with it .
The clutch is very snatchy & noisy when cold making it almost impossible to pull away without stalling. I have read that the noise is fairly normal but when I spend alot of money on a new bike that's not what I expect.. I called the shop I bought it from and they are new to MG so weren't sure. I'm supposed to be off to Spain next weekend but not sure I want to take the Stelvio.

Did you buy it without a test ride? Sight unseen? If not does it behave differently to the bike you test rode?

It is very hard to make any diagnosis of whether there is actually anything *Wrong* with it based on your description but generally speaking the 8V single late clutches are silent apart from some earlier Stelvios, and it only seemed to be Stelvios, that would 'Groan' when cold.

Sounds to me though that the bike hasn't been pre-delivered or tuned properly. With a new dealer this is not uncommon unfortunately. Its one of the reasons its important to choose where you buy wisely.

I suggest you take it to one of the reputable and Guzzi-savvy dealers and get it tuned properly. The 2O2 sensor bikes are generally very civilized if tuned correctly.

Pete

The 13 groans only when cold. After warm all is silent. My bikes clutch operates well other than the cold groan. Snatchy sounds like off and on throttle control issue.. is it while cruising slowly that u have problem? If so you will become smooth after a while and never be bothered by it. If its an issue of shifting that's different.

Vivo

There was no problem when I first rode it but I assume the dealer had run it that morning.
The snatch is definitely from the clutch, when first pulling away it's impossible to feed it in smoothly it just lurches forward & stalls unless I really slip it & that's not right.

I have no knowledge of the new Stelvios. Rode a demo but that's it. My 09 Stelvio, however, needs a fair amount of clutch slip first thing, especially in the cold, but eases out pretty quickly. As there's a bit of an obstacle course between where I park and the road I have to feather the clutch for about 50 yards anyway. I've had the bike from new and it used to be sensitive to throttle body balancing and if yours hasn't been set up properly as suggested in previous posts, that may be your problem. But please don't give up. My Stelvo's the best bike I've had in 43 years in the saddle.

You should NOT need to slip the clutch excessively on a 13! Slipping the clutch excessively might cause it to glaze. This is a dry clutch but assuming its not rider technique, it should be looked at by someone familiar with Guzzi. You might have a mechanical issue? Clutch take up should not cause stalling so something is unusual here. You do have to feather it a bit when cold but once warm it should operate much like any bike. Best bet is to have someone else ride the bike that knows how it should behave.

Good luck, get it looked at

Vivo

Would air in the system magnify any tendencies to be grabby when cold?

As Pete mentioned, maybe it was set up poorly. It the throttles are badly out of sync, or something like that, that may be the reason it is stalling and you are masking it by slipping the clutch.

The only noise is the groan for the first mile in COLD weather.
And I have no stalling issues.

Don't give up on the bike over the clutch groan. It's obviously a feature of the new models, and it scared me to death when it first happened. Despite all the comments about it on various forums and chats with dealers no-one seems to have provided a clear idea of the cause, but it's obviously not anything critical. And it's only the first clutch take-up on a cold morning under load (mine only does it if heading up a slope). Keep the revs up and slip a tad more than you usually do for a second or two. After that it works like a dream.

I have a much stronger gripe about the bloody useless screen, but that's another story.

goldy said:
There was no problem when I first rode it but I assume the dealer had run it that morning.
The snatch is definitely from the clutch, when first pulling away it's impossible to feed it in smoothly it just lurches forward & stalls unless I really slip it & that's not right.

The groan is normal on the 2012/13 models. Mine actually stopped doing it (or a hell of lot less frequently) after 10,000KM.

For the hell of it, try adjusting your clutch lever all the way in or out. It will move the engagement point. If that makes a difference (better or worse) you may have some crappy clutch fluid. I changed mine after 2000KM since it was black.

First problem I have heard like this. It is not normal (except the groan) so probably just a bad adjustment somewhere.

Sorry you are not a happy Stelvio owner, I have had two Stelvio's rode 50,000 miles and enjoyed every mile. I have a friend Peter from Kent who also has had two stelvios and rode over 60,000 miles. We have both had a few problems in this time. BUT never been disapointed with the service from the dealers. First thing not happy, back to dealer, No Joy? Try another dealer, or Letter to Piaggio.
As Pete Roper said It sound like a badly set up bike. I know is a pain.get it sorted, Dont loose the faith, You wont be disapointed. Spain is calling. My Stelvio's have always got me there and home again.
Good Luck

http://www.guzzienduro.it/quotatreffen2 ... en2013.htm
http://www.guzzienduro.it/quotatreffen2 ... en2013.htm
Take a look may intrest you.

David

goldy said:
Hi I've had my 2013 Stelvio ntx for nearly 1 week now & I've already fallen out of love with it .
The clutch is very snatchy & noisy when cold making it almost impossible to pull away without stalling. I have read that the noise is fairly normal but when I spend alot of money on a new bike that's not what I expect.. I called the shop I bought it from and they are new to MG so weren't sure. I'm supposed to be off to Spain next weekend but not sure I want to take the Stelvio.
I just picked up my new 012 a couple of weeks ago and same thing with the clutch groan . Never ever happened on my Griso . Other than that the bike runs great . Very important to have a good dealer that knows these bikes . Not like the Japanese bikes that run 100 % right out of the box . Keep on your dealer to get it right . We are paying for the character of a big air cooled twin . We all must be crazy ! Yep ,finally came to that conclusion . :silly:

[thread hijack]
steve lindsay said:
goldy said:
Not like the Japanese bikes that run 100 % right out of the box .

I found out long ago, that all of the Japanese motorcycles I had owner, were at their best at zero miles. They then slowly get sloppy, loose and boring, from that point on. It was all downhill from mile 1.

But the Guzzis take thousands and thousands of miles to break in, and many tens of thousands to reach their best potential.

IMHO, and all that.

[/thread hijack]

Wayne Orwig said:
[thread hijack]
steve lindsay said:
goldy said:
Not like the Japanese bikes that run 100 % right out of the box .

I found out long ago, that all of the Japanese motorcycles I had owner, were at their best at zero miles. They then slowly get sloppy, loose and boring, from that point on. It was all downhill from mile 1.

But the Guzzis take thousands and thousands of miles to break in, and many tens of thousands to reach their best potential.

IMHO, and all that.

[/thread hijack]

Yep , your right . This Guzzi is anything but boring and will just get better and better the more miles I put on it . I'm bias but what the hell ! Hope our friend hangs in and gets it sorted so he'll know what its like . Cheers .

For what it is worth: Over 11,000 miles on a new 1100 Cali Black Eagle. I hated this bike for the first 5000 miles and I have ridden Guzzi's since 1971! At 10,000 miles everything finally fell into place, in other words there is a very long break in period on these bikes.

All the other Guzzis I owned were from people who had ridden them for a short period of time or in some cases with over 100,000 on the clock. The point is they had all been "sorted out" by the previous owner and I got the best bikes ever.

If you get rid of this bike before you "sort it out" you are just doing the next owner a big favor. Join the Guzzi owners club in your area & talk to the members, find a good dealer, sort it out & you'll love this bike.

Just sayin....

Thanks for your replies guys, the clutch seems to have sorted itself, it still grind but not snatching now. I have had the 1st service done and was enjoying riding it.................however on the run down to London to start our trip to Spain it broke down with a flat battery.
Got recovered home, have charged it & checked the fuses but it's not charging. looks like we'll be going to Spain in the car :eek:

Must persevere it will be ok :)

Its not charging?

Will it start with a jump? If so what does the dashboard volt meter say? If it says 13.5V+ then the battery is at fault, most likely because the 'New' dealer you bought the bike from doesn't have a mechanic who can read the instructions for puting an AGM battery into service, (The fucking instructions are in the box!). My guess is that they just poured the acid into the battery like they would a straight LA battery and started the bike. The plates have warped and shorted and the battery is cactus. Guzzi released a service bulletin shortly after they adopted AGM batteries explaining this, (Although it was already explained in the battery instructions!) due to a large number of warranty claims on batteries.

As I suggested before, take your new bike to someone who knows what they are doing and have it pre delivered and serviced properly.

Pete

Goldie,
I'm not normally a betting man but in this case I'd lay money down on a wager as to what caused your charging problem. You said that you checked the fuzes. Take another look but this time pull off the triangular cover on the right side, just below the seat. This cover is secured by three screws. Once the cover is off you will see another set of fuzes. There is a 30A fuze that, among other things, provides electricity to excite the alternator. If that fuze is blown...no power from the alternator and you are running on battery alone. Next, look at the aux lights on your NTX. Pull off the rubber boots and check for arcing between the wires and the metal housing. That's the root cause of your problem. When the lights short out they cause that 30A fuze to blow. Fix the aux light problem and you are back on the road. There are several write-ups about this situation, either on this site or at http://www.wildguzzi.com.

Peter Y.

'Nother good call Peter. Having said that there was a service bulletin out months ago about that too so it should of been addressed at PD by the selling dealer if they were worth a pinch of shit.

Pete

Back