• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 a decent commuter?

bosifus

Just got it firing!
Hi, new guy here but not new to Guzzi's. I had a v11 Sport for a few years but let her go. In the interim I've been riding a sportster for the last couple years and while its a decent bike its just plain lacking in fun factor, handling, braking ... you get the picture. It does what it does well, it's just boring.

I've been eyeballing the 2013 V7's and I have the bug for one big time but Im wondering how well it would do as a daily commuter. While the Racer looks awesome and I would love to have one Im thinking that with some health issues (Rheumatoid arthritis) a Stone would probably be better suited to me long term.

I commute here in teh PNW about 25 miles each way with about 15 miles of that being a jaunt on the freeway and I was wondering if this would be a decent commuter ride? I also ride a KTM 450EXC on occasion to work as well so small and light doesn't bother me too much, in fact I prefer it.

Where does the small block engine like to run at freeway revs? Anyone else commuting on one and how is it? Anything to avoid or a word of advice is welcome.

[beer]

Hi mate,

Having done some touring on my V7c I can confidently say they are great on the freeway not too fast as to get nicked for being a hooligan but just right ;)

Mine will cruise all day at 80mph although the revs are not that far from the red line it is where they are most happy at and what they lack in horses they make up with a luvverly broad spread of torque right from low down.

Best bet is to take a test ride if you can but i reckon you wont be disappointed.

As for reliability no real problem just make sure the oil level is good and enjoy :D

I commute on a 2012 V7 Racer whenever I can. About half of my 12 mile jaunt is on the freeway. The bike is great. Long legs (sometimes I forget to put it in 5th until I see the tach) and no problem at 80 mph. Pretty easy to run up to 90 or more as well. Its no rocket, but its quick enough and very comfortable. I prefer the rearsets and clip-ons to the standard setup on a new Stone (I've ridden them back-to-back). To spend much time on the Stone with the standard pegs, I'd have to change out the handlebars for something with more pullback.

At any rate, I have made a few mods to my bike to "enhance" my commute. I have Agostini pipes on it with an ECU flash from Todd to make it breathe better (pretty lean from the factory). I have also replaced the rear shocks and the springs in the forks (emulators there as well). If you're going to spend much time on the bike, its important to get it sprung to your weight. I found the front too soft and the rear too stiff from the factory. Todd managed to hook me up there, as well.

I think its a great bike to commute on. I don't have any luggage on the bike and just carry my crap in a backpack.

It's a great communter, with it's economical engine, moderate weight, and easy handling size.

But here are the con arguments, so you'll be fully informed:
- parts can be hard to come by
- warranty work needs a trusted dealer
- bike is easy to work on, but if unusual repairs are needed, good Guzzi mechanics might be hard to find

I would commute with it, but I'm willing to put up with the oddities of Guzzi ownership.

I've been commuting on a 2013 V7 Racer for a few months now. I only go 7-8 miles each way through the Seattle morass, so i don't have the extended freeway jaunt. I occasionally get up to speed on Highway 99 and the bike is totally comfortable. I've also done some longer stints on the freeway on the weekends. I haven't found myself wishing for more power, and I love the torque and nimble handling.

As for Racer vs Stone, I went back-and-forth for weeks before I decided on the Racer. I rode both, but couldn't live with the handlebar/footpegs on the Stone for long. You should definitely test ride both before making a decision.

My 2004 Breva 750 should be geared almost identically to a 2013 V7.

The tach shows 4,000 at 63 mph. 70 mph is a sweet spot. Tach showing 5,000 at 80 mph. Redline is 7,000. You have plenty of rpm headroom at freeway/interstate speeds.

The V-twin is almost vibration free at 4,500 rpm and has a very relaxing cadence. You will love this bike.

I can't add much to what's been said above but will put my vote in for the V7 Racer as a good commuting bike. I traded "up" to the Racer from a BMW K100RT. Although the RT has a decent fairing and large panniers allowing for carrying items to and from work, its size is overwhelming at low speeds typically found in the city. Th V7 is light and nimble. The downside is its lack of space for carrying items, meaning that I have to use a backpack.

Love my Stone.

Highway speeds of 60-80 mph (constant) are no issue.

In the ten years I've been riding Guzzis I've not had a single parts problem.

I prefer the Stone to the racer for practicality.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll have to head to Moto Int soon and see about getting a test ride on each of them. Of course the Racer certainly appeals to me but I wonder about the clip ons with arthritic hands and lack of space available for bags. I have the same issue now riding a Sportster and I just use a backpack but it would be nice to have them.

I told my wife that I wanted another Guzzi and she told me she wasn't sure she could endure another affair with an Italian mistress. :D

bosifus said:
Thanks for all the input. I think I'll have to head to Moto Int soon and see about getting a test ride on each of them. Of course the Racer certainly appeals to me but I wonder about the clip ons with arthritic hands and lack of space available for bags. I have the same issue now riding a Sportster and I just use a backpack but it would be nice to have them.

What year/model Sporty - perhaps I can compare/contrast it to the V7 to help give you more of an idea.

For instance - we've owned a couple of rubbermount sportys.

I find that the 883 felt like it was geared somewhat similar to the V7, while the 1200 is geared more for lower speeds on the highway.

Obviously weight is dramatically different. The V7 feels so much lighter and more nimble as you would expect.

That said, I still dig both - of course our Sporty has been modified a bit for comfort and handling.

It's a 2004 1200 XLC. Braking is pretty anemic on it and of course the suspension is not great as well. The rubber mount is nice though compared to earlier models.

I've been commuting on it anywhere from 20-45 miles a day for the last year. It's a mix of backroads/freeway. The rake on the sportster is what I really don't care for the most I think. It just wants to go in a straight line most of the time. Forward controls don't help in the cornering department and I find myself constantly dragging pegs anytime it's ridden aggressively in the twisties.

I wish I had looked around and found an XR1200 instead but live and learn. It's been a good bike but it is what it is.

I'd love to pick up a Stone with hard cases in flat black.

bosifus said:
It's a 2004 1200 XLC. Braking is pretty anemic on it and of course the suspension is not great as well. The rubber mount is nice though compared to earlier models.

I've been commuting on it anywhere from 20-45 miles a day for the last year. It's a mix of backroads/freeway. The rake on the sportster is what I really don't care for the most I think. It just wants to go in a straight line most of the time. Forward controls don't help in the cornering department and I find myself constantly dragging pegs anytime it's ridden aggressively in the twisties.

I wish I had looked around and found an XR1200 instead but live and learn. It's been a good bike but it is what it is.

I'd love to pick up a Stone with hard cases in flat black.

Yeah, the 1200C was THE "looks" or "cruiser" model for sure.

In contrast the 1200R from the same year was about as different as the same bike/chassis could be.

Mid mounts, flatter bars, less rake, different front wheel/tire, plus dual-disc brakes make for quite a difference in handling.

The one thing that the 1200C does better than the Stone is highway/high speed for extended time. Put a set of Progressive or better shocks on the rear and it can be pretty comfortable.

But out of the box the Stone is going to feel much lighter and quicker through the turns, has decent brakes, and compared to the Sportster, decent front and rear suspensions. There's still room for improvement on the suspension, and maybe brakes, to some, but honestly it's all I need.

bosifus said:
Where does the small block engine like to run at freeway revs? Anyone else commuting on one and how is it?

I'm not sure if I ever properly answered this, but since I put somewhere between 300-400 miles on my V7 in the past day or two I thought I'd add something about this.

I'm noticing that my V7 is REALLY happy anywhere from 4-6k rpm. Though it's torquey enough to run down almost as low as maybe 3k under relatively light load, it gets a little vibey in the high 3k range, then smoothes out as it approaches 4k.

It pulls up past 7k (where the corner of my eye caught the tach at one point today).

If there isn't a lot of crosswind, headwind, or buffetting from traffic I am comfortable (VERY comfortable) at 60-70 mph. I start to feel the wind on my chest and face (open face helmet) around 75+ and 80 mph becomes work (though honestly the work isn't for the bike, it is for me).

EDIT:

Anyway, I believe 80 mph was about 5k in top gear.

I believe 65 mph was about 4k (60 is a little below like 3.8k).

So 65-70 mph was just purrrring beautifully in 5th gear.

55 mph felt good in 4th.

sign216 said:
- bike is easy to work on, but if unusual repairs are needed, good Guzzi mechanics might be hard to find

I'm new around here so this has probably been covered somewhere but based on my research so far items 2 and 3 are well covered for Houston area people by the dealer here, MPH Cycles. Not sure how much of a solution there is to the first one though. Oh, and I have zero affiliation to any dealer anywhere so just comments.

LDB said:
sign216 said:

I'm new around here so this has probably been covered somewhere but based on my research so far items 2 and 3 are well covered for Houston area people by the dealer here, MPH Cycles. Not sure how much of a solution there is to the first one though. Oh, and I have zero affiliation to any dealer anywhere so just comments.

MPH seems to have a large inventory of MG parts and can get whatever ya need. Good people for sure. I'm from Florida and had them do warranty work on my 1200 Sport, now gone due to lack of dealer support here. If I lived near Huston I'd have V7.

Regards Paul

sign216 said:

Maybe I shouldn't jinx myself but WTF.

In 10 years of Guzzi ownership I've never needed a part I couldn't get (and get within a week), and I've never needed a dealer or dealer mechanic for warranty work or service - with one exception.

That exception was that I had a chronic pinging problem on my B11 which TWO noteworthy Guzzi techs couldn't solve, so I finally had Todd do the Guzzitech Reflash on the ECU and viola - no more problem.

I'm hoping that my V7 ownership continues this pattern.

Kev M said:
In 10 years of Guzzi ownership I've never needed a part I couldn't get (and get within a week), and I've never needed a dealer or dealer mechanic for warranty work...

Are you saying that Moto Guzzi will pay for work done that the warranty covers that is performed by dealers and mechanics that have not been approved by Moto Guzzi?

redge said:
Kev M said:
In 10 years of Guzzi ownership I've never needed a part I couldn't get (and get within a week), and I've never needed a dealer or dealer mechanic for warranty work...

Are you saying that Moto Guzzi will pay for work done that the warranty covers that is performed by dealers and mechanics that have not been approved by Moto Guzzi?

I don't know, I've never needed it...

Back